Bed mounted spare tire ideas - Rugged Ridge and Others

Rampager

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I mounted my 38x13.5/R17 spare on top of my Diamondback HD box cover. It is rated for 1600 pounds so it supports spare with no problem. It is mounted on the forward opening and doesn’t interfere with rear opening. I mounted it with a custom fabricated single point mount made from steel gas line fittings and a very large high strength bolt. It pulls downward evenly on inner wheel lip. No one can steal tire, the nut is on the inside and can’t be accessed unless tailgate is unlocked.

A072E16B-7F6C-4FCE-ABD8-2141ED4836E1.jpeg

634629A3-7B77-4648-ADD4-980483A7F122.jpeg
Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
What about picking a 37 that fits in the stock location?

imo, if you’re going to lose the bulk of your bed space, it needs to be for a 40” tire minimum, preferably a 42”. At least then you can slay it on the ‘gram. Go big or go home. No need to lose the bed space for a tire thats pretty much stock size. 37’s arent big anymore.

OP
OP
Silvertruck

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This arrived for me and I got it installed a couple days ago... I'll send pics and provide feedback.
that would be awesome. Post pics and feedback here too if you dont mind

mentorISH

First Name
Ismail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Hospitality
that would be awesome. Post pics and feedback here too if you dont mind
Shipping was good and it does block some of your view but not much. I like it so far... Looking to add some kind of security to lock the tire to the mount.

Jeep Gladiator Bed mounted spare tire ideas - Rugged Ridge and Others IMG_1167
Jeep Gladiator Bed mounted spare tire ideas - Rugged Ridge and Others IMG_1168

Sponsored

Canadian GP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Canadian Postie.
Shipping was good and it does block some of your view but not much. I like it so far... Looking to add some kind of security to lock the tire to the mount.

How much work would it be to remove the carrier if you had a large load to carry?

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Wilco and it's not great. Frankly, it's garbage for the price.

edit
wrote a bunch but it was a rant... just know that the mounting isn't great, there's a ton of leverage on the rail that results in a lot of bouncing, and I'm afraid of the long-term impact on the rail system without the hacky solution I have planned to secure the tire better.
/edit

AEV has the right idea but it's heavy AF. I think someone could fab their own and do a much better job because a lot of the weight has to do with being stable at several different heights.
Are you talking about the Wilco bed rail side mount-I ask as I just ordered one and would like to know what are the problems/ It is expensive for what it seems but I do want the bed mount. IT works Fantastic and I have to ask size of tires and wheels and have you checked adjustment. Mine is solid with NO bounce at All.

Last edited:

mentorISH

First Name
Ismail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Hospitality
How much work would it be to remove the carrier if you had a large load to carry?
This system allows for you to lift the tire to store items under. But to fully disassemble, probably under an hour.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Are you talking about the Wilco bed rail side mount-I ask as I just ordered one and would like to know what are the problems/ It is expensive for what it seems but I do want the bed mount.
Yeah the bed rail mount. Since the threaded rod is above where the mount connects to the bed rail, there is significant leverage on the rail. Ideally, it would mount below the rail and gravity pulling on the tire would hold it in place. Instead, it's very easy to get the tire to bounce just by pushing on the top of the tire toward the cab or outside of the bed.

It can be fixed with a little fabrication but frankly, at that price, it's not acceptable to me. Decent concept, but I got a quote to have a local fab shop make something a million times better at a lower price using boxed tube that mounts to rail and the bed floor. Will probably go that route at some point in the future but until then, I have to keep the bottom strapped to minimize the bouncing.

Sponsored

wiredup60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2012 Audi R8, 2018 Land Rover LR4
I like this a lot - but where do you store your stuff that otherwise goes in the bed?
surprisingly, I can still store a fair amount of stuff in the bed and in the cab.

RED DOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I dig the AEV one- it’s vertical so you have more bed space.

drawback is you lose visibility out the back window.
This is a stupid design .... it renders your bed almost useless and completely blocks the back window. Com on AEV, try a bit harder!!!

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I mean... where else would you have them mount it? That's the ideal spot that isn't under the truck because off the back cantilevers a lot of weight back there.

Stephanhawks

First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Lawyer
This is my first post here but the question is one to which I’ve been struggling to find an answer. I have a 12” RCI adjustable rack. I am on 35” X-comp tires mounted on ballistic 845s. I met a guy who was talking about having seen another gladiator where the owner relocated the stock hoist mechanism from underneath the bed to a rack. I do not know what type of rack, but thought it was an interesting concept. I have tried to find a post where someone has done that, but haven’t yet. Does anyone know if relocating the stock hoist is possible? If so, drawbacks? My wheel/tire combo is ~17lbs heavier than stock. I have looked at alternatives and am limited because of the short rack height.

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase