Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Can high strength steel be welded?

When high strength, quenched and tempered steels are welded, the heat from the arc can alter the temper on the material. For this reason, it is recommended to weld the material in the annealed condition whenever possible. Proper preheat and post-weld heat treatment are essential to minimize cracking risks.

Meaning that you have to anneal the frame before welding on it. Then heat treating to bring it back to it's original strength.

I know, I know........people have been welding on the frame for a while. Are they welding engineers? Most likely not. Can they weld? Yes. Does it mean they are doing it right? No. Are they doing a preheat of the weld area? What temp are they bringing the weld area up to? Some HSS, you have to bring it up to 700F before welding. Post weld, are they wrapping the weld area with a heat blanket to slow cool? Cool the weld area too quick will lead to cracking of weld. And the weld may pull out of the parent metal. Heating treating. You have the rate up the heating in steps to the desired temp. Depending on material, the temps could be around 1,400F. Depending on thickness, is how long you hold it there. Then you rate down the temp in steps until room temp. Some HSS, you have to go straight from welding to heat treating. You can't leave the material cool at all.

Have to out for what HSS stands for. It could also mean Hollow Structural Sections. Which is what the JT's frame is.
I've brought up the welding bit in earlier threads on this because these frames do have HSS - it's in the Jeep marketing information.

Somewhere I have a chart from FCA showing how the HSS (high strength steel) frame saved xxx weight and added strength with less material.

Jeep Gladiator Bent Frame 1716662814497-zs

Jeep Gladiator Bent Frame 1716662966598-pf

Jeep Gladiator Bent Frame 1716663004850-c7
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It is funny that more than a few things are abbreviated to just first letter of the named thing but more than just that thing has the same abbreviation. As noted here "HSS" High Strength Steel or High Strength Structure. In many industries this is or can be a problem. In a few conversations I have been in or listening to I have seen this. With one not able to fully understand what others are saying and vice versa. The reason for T.D.P's and blueprints are critical. But wow this an old thread... and about a forgotten "problem" of don't try to jump your JT at high speeds with 200 plus lbs hanging on the back bumper. 😳
:like:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
It is funny that more than a few things are abbreviated to just first letter of the named thing but more than just that thing has the same abbreviation. As noted here "HSS" High Strength Steel or High Strength Structure. In many industries this is or can be a problem. In a few conversations I have been in or listening to I have seen this. With one not able to fully understand what others are saying and vice versa. The reason for T.D.P's and blueprints are critical. But wow this an old thread... and about a forgotten "problem" of don't try to jump your JT at high speeds with 200 plus lbs hanging on the back bumper. 😳
I worked on steam turbines and gas turbines at Elliott TurboMachinery. At Duke Energy. I was a CRO operating said equipment. Terminology was hard for me at the plant at first. Spent 15 years calling one thing "ABC". At the plant it was called "XYZ". State of confusion for a little while. When the sub contractors would come in. I was the guy everyone came to, to translate.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And yet some of my tools, like drill bits, are marked HSS - high speed steel.
So if the frame was HSS - couldn't you take a jump really fast because the frame is high speed steel?
Sponsored