Sponsored

Gladiator bent frame offroading with trailer? Why do you think this happened?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I guess I stop jumping on my back bumper to check shocks......... my wife has been after me to lose a few pounds.

Seriously, though, WXman nailed it earlier. Physics, geometry, did I mention physics and the laws of motion and energy, mass, energy cannot be lost, only converted or transferred...... I suppose if he's into meteorology he might know a bit about math......perhaps just a little science.

Mythbusters dropped a piano - the piano weighed 700 pounds and was dropped 50 feet above the roof. They stated that right before impact, the piano would be traveling at 38 mph and in the end have an impact force of 12,000 pounds.

So, if you drop a 10 pound ball 4 feet (48 inches), and it stops in a quarter inch, then the force at the bottom of the fall is
latex.php?latex=F+%3D+%5Cfrac%7B48%7D%7B0.png
2,000 pounds of force on your foot from a 10 pound ball falling 4 feet.

Imagine hitting a pavement dip with a 1,000 trailer tongue - up she goes, down she comes, STOP! The force would be crazy and the leverage of that hitch sticking out back there - more physics (levers)
Sponsored

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
On my 2008 Tundra I sold to get my Gladiator I used to tow a 16ft Casita trailer, about 3,200lbs loaded and 350lbs tongue weight. After several years of towing off road and getting the entire trailer airborne many times I noticed the space between the cab and front bed wall kept getting a little larger over time. It grew from maybe 3/4" when new to 1 1/2" but there was no detectable bend as in an angled gap like seen on some Gladiators and Tacomas.

I now tow the same trailer with my Gladiator and take it very slow and easy off road after reading about the bent frames.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
This is freaking me out about pulling my trailer, but it’s really light at like 2000 lbs. I’ve towed it all over the place with my 2 dr JK with no issues. Even moderate rock crawling. The trailer, on the other hand, is on its third suspension. Now it has a Timbren axle less setup that seems bulletproof. Took it on a week long trip back in September on some rough trails with no problems, other than the mud LOL
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator bent frame offroading with trailer? Why do you think this happened? 3F2DE05F-1404-4949-8A24-58ABD03F83E2
Sponsored