Best Rock Lights

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
So I know it’s only been a few months since you post about these lights but I’m about to pull the trigger on them. How is the RGB lights holding up? I planned on getting the Max White but now I see the RGB with White feature. Did you also get the Bluetooth controller? I think I’m going with the single zone. Any feedback or advice to offer?
I have the Max RGBW with the Bluetooth controller. My controller is dual zone. My only complaint is running wires into the control box. I have fat thumbs so little screws and wires don't like me. But I did it. I still haven't installed the other lights since I moved in September.
Sponsored

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor
I have the Max RGBW with the Bluetooth controller. My controller is dual zone. My only complaint is running wires into the control box. I have fat thumbs so little screws and wires don't like me. But I did it. I still haven't installed the other lights since I moved in September.
Thanks for the info. I plan to run my wires through the frame rails if I’m able to and was wonder how hard it was to wire them into the controller. Do you have the controller hooked up to the Aux switch or the battery?

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. I plan to run my wires through the frame rails if I’m able to and was wonder how hard it was to wire them into the controller. Do you have the controller hooked up to the Aux switch or the battery?
I have them hooked up to AUX 4 I think. haven't had any issues. had them on at camp for about 4-5 hours and Jeep started up right away no issue.

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
How is the Lux blue tooth controller operated? Turn on with Aux switch and then change colors with your iphone?

how many bulbs if I’m going more for looks onroad than function off-road?

where is the controller mounted?

thanks!

Last edited:

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is the Lux blue tooth controller operated? Turn on with Aux switch and then change colors with your iphone?

how many bulbs if I’m going more for looks onroad than function off-road?

where is the controller mounted?

thanks!
I currently have 4 LUX lights installed. I have the controller hooked up to the AUX switch. You turn on the AUX switch then open the app in your phone. They just released their own app and I have not used it yet but the app that I use works just fine. As for the mount I had a piece of Stainless laying around and with some CAD (Cardboard assisted design) I was able to make the bracket in the pictures. I used 2 nuts that were on studs coming from the fender support on the driver side fender. They were a pain to tighten but its a solid mounting point.

20210724_115438.jpg

20210724_115442.jpg

20210724_115446.jpg

20210724_121655.jpg

20210724_215725.jpg

20210724_220112.jpg

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
For Rock lights, I made my own kit. I only wanted bright red and white, so, no controller or kit... I needed bolt in red for the plastic inner fenders and white magnetic for the truck lower body & frame. I bought four 4WDKING Red LED Rock Lights (Amazon) and four white LUX MAX Magnetic LED Rock Lights. 4 red for the wheel wells and 4 white for between the wheel wells. My aux switches are all used, so, I used the two light switches on my Warn Platinum winch. I made my own wiring harnesses with waterproof connections and corrugated plastic automotive piping. The 4WDKING Red Rock lights on Amazon are super bright. I am very happy with them. The magnetic white Aux lights are super easy to install and have a nice diffused white color. Here are some pics. Overall, I am happy with the brightness.

Jeep Gladiator Best Rock Lights eXDYjT

Jeep Gladiator Best Rock Lights EaHtx6

Here we are finishing the "Badge of Honor", Big Bear - Holcolm Creek Trail this past Saturday. This is the last obstacle and the pic of our rig is by Ron

Jeep Gladiator Best Rock Lights I8IQhf

Last edited:

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I currently have 4 LUX lights installed. I have the controller hooked up to the AUX switch. You turn on the AUX switch then open the app in your phone. They just released their own app and I have not used it yet but the app that I use works just fine. As for the mount I had a piece of Stainless laying around and with some CAD (Cardboard assisted design) I was able to make the bracket in the pictures. I used 2 nuts that were on studs coming from the fender support on the driver side fender. They were a pain to tighten but its a solid mounting point.

How are the magnets connected to the lights? Are they just JB welded onto them? I am wondering if I can get some cheaper led lights and just epoxy some rare earth metal magnets to the back and voila I got me some lux lights for super cheap.

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are the magnets connected to the lights? Are they just JB welded onto them? I am wondering if I can get some cheaper led lights and just epoxy some rare earth metal magnets to the back and voila I got me some lux lights for super cheap.
I don't have a picture of them on hand but you can see them on their website. They make the light board and put the magnets on and then everything is put in resin. At least that's the easiest way for me to explain it. The magnets actually transfer the heat away from the LED's and into the metal according to their install instructions. I have my factory fender liners still and just ordered their mounting tabs. 3 holes in each fender liner later and some fasteners (I used the plastic rivets like what hold in the fender liners) and they done. minus the running the wires everywhere.

https://luxlightingsystems.com/coll...k-light-kit-for-jeeps-4-piece-fender-well-set

PatriotMotorsports

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Owner of Patriot Motorsports
Infinite Offroad! 25 year you break it they replace it warranty built in America. Great quality and IMO the best rock light in the industry. My 2 cents.

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor

What app are you using? I downloaded the Lux App but not having good luck with it. The controller keeps disconnecting and then I have no control over the light function. What Bluetooth controller did you go with? I may reach out to Lux for a refund or replacement on their controller!

Sponsored

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What app are you using? I downloaded the Lux App but not having good luck with it. The controller keeps disconnecting and then I have no control over the light function. What Bluetooth controller did you go with? I may reach out to Lux for a refund or replacement on their controller!
I used their controller. I got this one a while back. i still havent messed with their app any. I use XKchrome on androrid.

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor
I used their controller. I got this one a while back. i still havent messed with their app any. I use XKchrome on androrid.
Did you have any issues connecting it with the XKChrome app? Also how do you have the Bluetooth controller wired in? I have mine on an AUX switch but every time I turn it off and then on It will disconnect the controller from the app.

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have any issues connecting it with the XKChrome app? Also how do you have the Bluetooth controller wired in? I have mine on an AUX switch but every time I turn it off and then on It will disconnect the controller from the app.
I have mine hooked up to a factory aux switch. When you turn the power off to the controller it turns the Bluetooth off so it's going to disconnect. As far as initial setup. It took me a few trys. You have to give the app location permissions in the app permissions screen.

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor
Thank you for your fee
I have mine hooked up to a factory aux switch. When you turn the power off to the controller it turns the Bluetooth off so it's going to disconnect. As far as initial setup. It took me a few trys. You have to give the app location permissions in the app permissions screen.
Thanks for the feedback. Its been pretty frustrating to say the least! I'm still not sure if I made the right decision on my purchase, your feedback gives me so hope. I'm also wondering if I screwed up by only getting 8 lights and a single controller instead of 12 and a 3 zone controller.

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your fee

Thanks for the feedback. Its been pretty frustrating to say the least! I'm still not sure if I made the right decision on my purchase, your feedback gives me so hope. I'm also wondering if I screwed up by only getting 8 lights and a single controller instead of 12 and a 3 zone controller.
I think you can run 12 per zone so you can still add a few more if needed.
Sponsored