First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
U.S. Coast Guard, retired
Which trail aps do you guys use for new unexplored terrain and difficulty levels?
Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I've been wondering the same thing. I know I have Rauch Creek, Reading Anthracite, and AOAA near me, but I'd like to know of any logging roads, trails, or other plain fun places to explore.

Sponsored

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
I haven't found anything better than OnX Offroad. They have a 7 day trial. Went on a trip to an area Ive been to 7 times and it showed me new stuff.
Going to use it in CO in a couple of weeks.

Tmorgan319

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator R
Onx Offroad is the way to go. Onx Hunt is popular in the hunting/fishing space but just got into the 4x4 game. You can mark/share camp sites,rock gardens, fishing spots, etc.. pretty epic.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
I have used Gaia in the past for hiking and mtn biking, but is there a seperate app or setting for the off-road 4x4 trails?

Also, (while not cheap) I recently picked up a Garmin Overland(er) GPS on sale for $599 ($100 off MSRP).
I haven't had it guide me on trail yet, but it appears to have a lot of trails on it.
You can use it like a standard GPS and if you decide to take a trail, but hit the Explore button and it remaps itself in seconds.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I've used Gaia for a long time, and yeah, now it integrates with CarPlay. I've used OnX Hunt maps for years, and they always mildly annoy me. So I'll try their off road option, but I'd suggest to the OnX users that they should try Gaia.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Is there a way to get this to display on your dash screen? I just bought it and would love to have that option.

Onx Offroad is the way to go. Onx Hunt is popular in the hunting/fishing space but just got into the 4x4 game. You can mark/share camp sites,rock gardens, fishing spots, etc.. pretty epic.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Is there a way to get this to display on your dash screen? I just bought it and would love to have that option.
So far Gaia is the only one I'm aware of that has a Carplay component. And actually are you talking about iOS or Android? There may be different options on Android, I'm iOS-only these days.

OnX seems to lag far behind Gaia, which does make sense since Gaia has been around a long time.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I'm IOS. After my last excursion into the mountains and a poorly marked trail that caused me to turn around and drive out, I decided to up my game a bit. Thinking CB radio too. Hate to be on some narrow trails and not communicate.

So far Gaia is the only one I'm aware of that has a Carplay component. And actually are you talking about iOS or Android? There may be different options on Android, I'm iOS-only these days.

OnX seems to lag far behind Gaia, which does make sense since Gaia has been around a long time.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Yeah, the only trail map I know of that works on the vehicle screen is Gaia. It's a feature that the app developer has to create.

As far as a radio, who is going to be on the other end? Who is listening, on what channel, and from how far away? I carry VHF, because I'm licensed and know I can hit repeaters nearly everywhere. CB? Not so much.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
I don't have a VHF, just FCC licensed. Great question. I know CB channel 4 is usually reserved for off road areas.
Sponsored