Sponsored

Bestop SunRider for Hardtop - How Noisy?

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Is there any difference in noise between the black diamond and twill versions or is it just aestetics?

My truck came with the non premium soft originally and I didn't think that was overly loud, I assume the sunrider is similar..

Also just an FYI, coupon code litebrite works on Northridge 4x4 so you get 10% off anyway without waiting for a rebate.

VolInGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Overland
Is there any difference in noise between the black diamond and twill versions or is it just aestetics?

My truck came with the non premium soft originally and I didn't think that was overly loud, I assume the sunrider is similar..

Also just an FYI, coupon code litebrite works on Northridge 4x4 so you get 10% off anyway without waiting for a rebate.
Twill is thicker, so in theory a little quieter.

VolInGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Overland
I'm curious about how the Sunrider would hold up going through automatic car washes. That is really my only concern about it, since that's is the only way my Gladiator gets washed.
No personal experience, but I think the guys on TFL Truck took one through an automated car wash with no issues.

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
The Sunrider led me to buy the Mopar soft top. One thing always leads to another lol. The Sunrider really isn’t much louder than the freedom panels while it’s closed.

Sponsored

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
No personal experience, but I think the guys on TFL Truck took one through an automated car wash with no issues.
Thanks, I am very tempted by the Sunrider. I find that the Freedom Panels are a bit too much involved to pull off every time I want to have them off. The Sunrider looks like a perfect solution.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
do you still qualify for the rebate even with the coupon code use?

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
I'm curious about how the Sunrider would hold up going through automatic car washes. That is really my only concern about it, since that's is the only way my Gladiator gets washed.
I’ve been doing it. maybe a dozen times so far. No problems.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
You can try, but reading through the Bestop terms it says it's only valid on full price sales and can't be combined with any other deals.

20% would definitely be nice lol..

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
They’re fine in brushless automatics. Don’t go through one with brushes.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The Sunrider led me to buy the Mopar soft top. One thing always leads to another lol. The Sunrider really isn’t much louder than the freedom panels while it’s closed.
Attached to the freedom panels, headliners help with noise.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
I'm considering taking advantage of the BesTop 10% off sale and ordering a new twill SunRider, but after reading THIS article where Ezra Dyer says "at 70 mph with the top open, the interior was louder than a low-altitude flyby from an F-16 " I'm a wondering if I should go for it or not given that about a third of my 80-mile round trip commute is on the interstate at 75-80 MPH. The rest of it is on a 55-mph 2-lane highway though... and of course there would be plenty of time when I'm not commuting when I'd be able to enjoy it.
  • Is the wind noise louder with an open Sunrider than with the freedom panels off? ...because I don't think that's too bad.
  • How is the noise with the Sunrider open at say 60 MPH?
  • Is the noise with the SunRider CLOSED much (any?) louder than with the freedom panels on?
2020 Gladiator Overland, Punk'n Orange Metalic, 57k miles, 21.3 mpg average. Stock wheels with Goodyear Wrangler ATA 255/70/R18 tires (zero road noise).

I have the twill sunrider and thoroughly enjoy it. It's a soft top, so there will be some wind noise. You can reduce wind noise substantially by opening both rear windows about 2" (you can leave the front windows up). This allows air rushing in a way to escape. Nowhere near the amount of "buffeting" or noise that I used to experience with the older Jeep soft tops partially open on the highway, as the rear hard top is still in place, so no "flapping". Since purchasing the Sunrider in 2021, i rarely remove the roof completely anymore and my front Freedom top sections stay in storage April through October. If this one ever wears out, I'll purchase another.

Some wind noise at highway speeds at the front edge where it meets the windshield when closed, but I drive through automatic carwashes with it on regularly and no leaks. Nothing that keeps me from listening to the radio. If the top is open, i just set the volume at 15 and go. Caveat: I do put my freedom tops back on if I am taking a long highway trip (600+ miles) with the wife and kids just to make it more comfortable for everyone.

I also have a 2-piece mesh sunshade in orange that matches my Punk'n Gladiator that I leave in place year round. (Amazon, available in multiple colors: https://a.co/d/aMoEHH0)
I originally purchased the 1-piece shade for the Gladiator, but realized it has to be installed over top of the center bar, which looks odd from the outside. I changed it out for the 2-piece (front and rear) which works much better. There is enough room in the pass-through mounting holes in the roll bar to allow the bungees and Sunrider bolts to co-exist. Just slide the bolts through carefully so as not to fray the bungees with the bolt threads. Not only does it remove sun glare when the complete top is removed or even when the sunrider is open, but it dramatically cuts down on wind noise when the Sunrider is open on the highway. In the winter, i slide a sheet of white flexible foam insulation packing blanket in between the sunshade and hard top for invisible cold weather insulation.

Sunrider Easy Open Tip. Unlatch both latches at full stop and as you take off, push up on the front edge with one hand (under 15mph) the top will open by itself as the air coming over the windshield catches it. No slam, as the brackets are naturally "sticky" which also keeps the top from bouncing or flapping when open. When offroad, i would use the included velcro straps to secure it in open position if you want it open. It can be closed by reaching out the drivers side window at full stop (even easier of driver and passenger work together) and lift/ flip the top forward, then latch.

I don't miss having to pull over and dig my freedom tops out of the storage bag in the bed every time a spring shower pops up!

Jeep Gladiator Shade1.jpg

Jeep Gladiator Shade2.jpg

Jeep Gladiator Shade3.jpg

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
They’re fine in brushless automatics. Don’t go through one with brushes.
No problems at all, 2 years in and this is quality made (heavier twill version). I don't leave it on in the Boston winters, but it's on late March through October. No leaks in the automatic wash.

OP
OP
Raven65

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
No, the spring promotion says “not valid with any other rebates (or something to that effect). I used the coupon code they had emailed me the previous day and it took 10% of the price as soon as I applied it. When I completed the order, nothing came up about the spring promotion.

<Edit> I read in another thread somewhere that if you put one in your cart on the BesTop site and just leave it there, they’ll send you a 10% off coupon code in a day or two (if you’ve created an account & provided your email, obviously). I did not do that, so I can’t say for sure if that works or not.

OP
OP
Raven65

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Twill is thicker, so in theory a little quieter.
The main difference that prompted me to pay the extra $150 for the twill is they provide a “limited lifetime warranty” with it - whereas the warranty is only 5 years with the cheaper “Black Diamond” material.

Also - and I have not verified this - but I read somewhere on here that you only get the warranty if you purchase it directly from BesTop - rather than from Amazon or somewhere else
Sponsored