First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator ecodiesel
Occupation
Electrical contractor
Had the recall done recently. The dealer left a card in the jeep saying to run B5 max. What are the rules on the pumps? Some say B5, some say B20 and some don't have any label. If there is no label does that mean no biodiesel in fuel at all?
Sponsored

DylanM

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2005 LJR, 2021 JTRD
Occupation
USAF Retired
Correct. As far as I'm aware, the fuel stations are required to mark the pumps to show what percentage of biodiesel you're getting, similar to how they do for ethanol blend gasoline. If you see a B5 on the pump then the diesel will contain up to five percent bio, B20 up to twenty percent, and so on. No B## label anywhere on the pump would be straight diesel.

*edit* Biodiesel pump labelling rules state a B## label is only required when the biodiesel content exceeds 5%, so a lack of a label on the pump can only be taken to mean the fuel has somewhere between zero and five percent biodiesel.
Source -- https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/8060

Last edited:

rockman

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I believe that Diesel #2 can be unmarked and have up to 5% biodiesel. I always just look for a station with Diesel #2 marked and ensure the pump doesnt have a sticker that says "Biodiesel up to 20%". Honestly Diesel #2 with 5% biodiesel is actually good for the fuel pump from what I can tell.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
High quality biodiesel isn't a problem. However, Stallantis can't control how suppliers maintain, store, and deliver biodiesel blends and therefore there is concern for water intrusion.

I run various blends of biodiesel (B5, B10, B12, B15, B19, and B20) without issue. Biodiesel is actually an excellent lubricant. The concern is water, not biodiesel itself.
I run Love's fuel nearly 98% of the time. Love's advertises biodiesel percentages for each fuel station on their website.

Chris A

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Building Engineer
I believe that card states you can run B20 if that’s all that’s available but you must run through the tank in less than 30 days and accelerate filter changes. I used to always run Murphy USA and never had any problems and they sell a lot of fuel so I would think it’s fresh but don’t want any warranty problems in the event something happens so have been running QT B5. Seems the mileage is about 1 mpg higher on average. I have a promaster ecodiesel and most of its life has had Murphy, fuel pump and fuel hasn’t been the issues with it.

Sponsored

Chris A

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Building Engineer
Promaster is a different engine as well.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Lover,
High quality biodiesel isn't a problem. However, Stallantis can't control how suppliers maintain, store, and deliver biodiesel blends and therefore there is concern for water intrusion.

I run various blends of biodiesel (B5, B10, B12, B15, B19, and B20) without issue. Biodiesel is actually an excellent lubricant. The concern is water, not biodiesel itself.
I run Love's fuel nearly 98% of the time. Love's advertises biodiesel percentages for each fuel station on their website.
Loves, Pilot, Flying J are about 30 cents a gallon higher in price than any other fuel stations.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Loves, Pilot, Flying J are about 30 cents a gallon higher in price than any other fuel stations.
I'm willing to pay more for good quality fuel. With that said, I use the Love's app and/or a fuel card for discounted prices.

DylanM

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
USAF Retired
I believe that Diesel #2 can be unmarked and have up to 5% biodiesel. I always just look for a station with Diesel #2 marked and ensure the pump doesnt have a sticker that says "Biodiesel up to 20%". Honestly Diesel #2 with 5% biodiesel is actually good for the fuel pump from what I can tell.
I finally found the labelling requirement information and you are correct, a label is only required when there is more than 5% biodiesel -- the lack of a label can only be assumed to mean the fuel is somewhere between zero percent and B5.
Reference -- https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/8060

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I finally found the labelling requirement information and you are correct, a label is only required when there is more than 5% biodiesel -- the lack of a label can only be assumed to mean the fuel is somewhere between zero percent and B5.
Reference -- https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/8060
I can tell you that it's rare to find labels or proper labels on the pumps. They are either labeled wrong, or the labels have fallen off, or they simply don't exist.

Big companies like Love's have their own biodiesel processing plants. But as I travel throughout the U.S.A, I can tell you that those biodiesel blends are changing all the time in certain regions. Love's doesn't go out and change their stickers every time a blend changes. California is about the only state that consistently has B20 at the Love's pump. Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, for an example, can be straight #2 one week and B20 a month later.

DylanM

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
USAF Retired
I can tell you that it's rare to find labels or proper labels on the pumps. They are either labeled wrong, or the labels have fallen off, or they simply don't exist.

Big companies like Love's have their own biodiesel processing plants. But as I travel throughout the U.S.A, I can tell you that those biodiesel blends are changing all the time in certain regions. Love's doesn't go out and change their stickers every time a blend changes. California is about the only state that consistently has B20 at the Love's pump. Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, for an example, can be straight #2 one week and B20 a month later.
If you read the labels closely you'll see they usually state that the fuel contains "up to X percent biodiesel", so if it's labelled as B19 (such as the closest Love's station to me here in Texas is) and they decide to fill their tanks with B5 this go around instead, technically the label is still accurate by their metric in that it contains no more than 19% bio; the important part is the fuel shouldn't have a higher percentage of biodiesel than what the label on the pump states.

At least across the middle of Texas I-20 corridor, it's been my experience that pumps without a label are few and far between, the majority these days for whatever reason seem to have a B20 sticker. Maybe they're just making their lives easier by going with the highest percentage they expect to get at any given time, regardless of what may be more common.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
If you read the labels closely you'll see they usually state that the fuel contains "up to X percent biodiesel", so if it's labelled as B19 (such as the closest Love's station to me here in Texas is) and they decide to fill their tanks with B5 this go around instead, technically the label is still accurate by their metric in that it contains no more than 19% bio; the important part is the fuel shouldn't have a higher percentage of biodiesel than what the label on the pump states.
That very well could be true for other fuel stations. I can only speak for Love's. Love's will actually have a specific B-rating sticker on 'some' pumps. I've seen B2, B5, B10, B15, B19, and B20 stickers, but I've seen many pumps with no stickers at all. The website has the most up-to-date information, so that's what I look at. As mentioned earlier, California has had B20 for as long as I can remember.

Jeep Gladiator Biodiesel after HPFP X7aO4Bv

Jeep Gladiator Biodiesel after HPFP az4Yd5f

Jeep Gladiator Biodiesel after HPFP AwHM4Mr

Last edited:

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
Lover,

Unless you have the Open Roads card ;)

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Unless you have the Open Roads card ;)
I use the TSD Logistics (Open Roads) fuel card. The Love's app was offering a .20 cent per gallon discount on diesel fuel for a long time, but they recently dropped it down to .10 cents. The TSD fuel card can have some big discounts, though.
Sponsored