Sponsored

Bronco truck is DEAD

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It took them literally YEARS to get the Bronco to market, and it's STILL a train wreck. Production halted, replacing all the tops, etc. And we haven't even seen the issues that will plague the Bronco over the next 2 to 3 years once they're discovered. Ford has figured out that building an open top 4x4 is NOT an easy thing to do.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that they shelved the Bronco based pickup. They already have 3 sizes of pickups in their lineup. Why add a fourth, knowing that it will also be a disaster like the SUV version of the Bronco?
The vehicle has not been a train wreck at all. The problem is all the internet shut ins who sit on forums for 10 hours per day and complain about it like its a necessity of life. The problem has been the roll out of an excellent product.

They promised 2021 production. They should have made the 2022 the first model year and actually met deadlines. I've worked in project management for decades. I understand the pressure from above to promise earlier completion of complex projects. If you have worked in business you know that crap like this happens all the time. And it doesn't take away from the fact that the product is an excellent product.

Other than the top, owners are reporting great things about their Broncos. They are happy with what they are getting.

Slow production is real. But better that than bad product.

In 6 months everything will be sorted out. They will still have a backlog of 200,000 orders and by then they will be launching the new Ranger which should see a spike in demand. All of this out of one factory. The last thing they need is another thing to sell.

Re sizes of pickup. I doubt that many people will be cross shopping the bronco with the ranger pickups. You pay a huge roughly 15k premium to get the open top and "fun" feeling. Its the same thing with the Gladiator, which costs 15k more than a comparable Ranger or Colorado.

These trucks aren't about work or about needs. They are TOYS. For the most part Rangers aren't toys.
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m a little bummed. Here in southern NH I have seen two of the Bronco’s at two local dealers and they look really cool and certainly throwback to the old Bronco. When I saw the look at the concept pickup I was really piqued. Love the competition and I am not a Ford guy by any stretch, but Seeing the Bronco pickup come out was really cool. The concept of a truck pushes competition. Plus, like the Gladiator, it just looks cool. Too bad but….
I don't know how close you are to Plymouth, but Plymouth Ford has a cyber orange 2 door that they are happy to let you drive. I took it out for about 40 minutes with my daughter. It was very nice. It was much more refined on road than the Jeep. It essentially drove like an Explorer but with much more wind noise.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not shocked at that. I wasn't sure what he meant - now I know.
The mirrors aren't exactly in a place or shape to not make noise.
Really, the grill? Wow, that's almost funny.

My opinion, of course, others won't agree, I don't care for the LOOKS of the Bronco mirrors.
But then I'm not a fan of the lines of the side anyway. It simply doesn't appeal to me and not something I like to look at.
It's all a matter of taste, and the horizontal creases in the sides look cheap to me. I'd prefer it with no lines. That's just me.
I've been going back and forth between the bronco and the Gladiator for 6 months. I have a reservation for a bronco with a best guess delivery in June 2022.

But recently I've become glad that this delay has happened. I've driven a bronco a couple of times and then gone back to the Gladiator. I've found that the Mojave has a pretty good on-road ride and if I'm not afraid to flog the pentastar into the 5000 rpm range, it makes good power.

I think I've decided on the Gladiator. Just waiting to see if a 4xe version comes out for 2022, then I'll order one. 375 hp and 475 ft-lbs of torque with no extra cost thanks to stupid Government policies and better fuel economy is worth waiting a couple of months for.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Slow production is real. But better that than bad product.

In 6 months everything will be sorted out. They will still have a backlog of 200,000 orders and by then they will be launching the new Ranger which should see a spike in demand. All of this out of one factory. The last thing they need is another thing to sell.

Re sizes of pickup. I doubt that many people will be cross shopping the bronco with the ranger pickups. You pay a huge roughly 15k premium to get the open top and "fun" feeling. Its the same thing with the Gladiator, which costs 15k more than a comparable Ranger or Colorado.

These trucks aren't about work or about needs. They are TOYS. For the most part Rangers aren't toys.

The Ranger is no more a real truck than the Gladiator. I’ll agree that Ford makes a great product (I’ve always owned at least one Ford truck over the past 20 years) but they have screwed this Bronco Pooch up... but yes, it really about the supply chain more than a anything. They should have picked a better manufacturer for the top as well.

For a mid sized truck, yes I think it’s worth $15k premium, the freedom of Jeepness, open top and doors that come off. As a midsized truck the Gladiator more than holds its weight in that market... As a really good midsized Truck. They do need to get the diesel figured out. When they do that is my next purchase.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not saying the Ranger is any more a real truck than the Gladiator.

I'm saying that if you are buying a midsized truck primarily to do "truck" type things, you will get a Ranger or a Colorado.

The Gladiator or Bronco pickup buyers are primarily intersted in the fun aspects of these vehicles. Or they wouldn't spend the extra 15k.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Unless they resculpt the body lines a bronco truck sounds awful.

For all of the wide tires and wide fenders and wide body, the waist line pulls in kind quick.

Jeep Gladiator Bronco truck is DEAD 20210827_100024

The visual difference between the sight line of body and the canopy is jarring.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The Ranger is no more a real truck than the Gladiator. I’ll agree that Ford makes a great product (I’ve always owned at least one Ford truck over the past 20 years) but they have screwed this Bronco Pooch up... but yes, it really about the supply chain more than a anything. They should have picked a better manufacturer for the top as well.

For a mid sized truck, yes I think it’s worth $15k premium, the freedom of Jeepness, open top and doors that come off. As a midsized truck the Gladiator more than holds its weight in that market... As a really good midsized Truck. They do need to get the diesel figured out. When they do that is my next purchase.
Older truck - but my father had a 2010 Ranger - the first vehicle they EVER bought new. It was a truck. Full tow package, very capable truck. He died with that truck - he was 85, and it was reliable, and capable and he took it through all sorts of weather and towed a small trailer. Granted, it wasn't a 3/4 ton 4x4 but I'd consider the Ranger he had to be a real truck. The definition of "real truck" has changed. My 1/2 ton Silverado blew my 95 F250 away in many ways - including how well it towed and took my car hauler up hills while still accelerating while the Ford couldn't keep the speed limit with the 351.

I guess to many guys, only an F350 is a REAL truck. That'll likely never change.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Without a load on it my old 2wd ram 2500 rode like crap, my j20 was even worse and my j3000 was horrible no matter what.

This belief that only the most beastly truck is a real truck is a wonky one. I cannot imagine how the guys in their lifted dualie diesels with big hoops and tiny tires get through a day of driving. Especially when you can't hear the radio over the turbo and the endless braying of the stacks.

OP
OP
Olympusreptiles

Olympusreptiles

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator 80th anniversary
Occupation
Police
Glad this caused (mostly) civil conversation! I agree, we need competition. I would be bummed if the bronco folded. My concern with a bronco truck, was too many convertible fun trucks, one may fold.

I am not a Ford fan (driven them for years, have my reasons). I would be bummed if the gladiator died. It likely won't now, but if it's sales were cut in half, who knows?

While the gladiator may not get all the model cross over, engine, etc I think the bronco will still advance it by proxy. So much of what the bronco will push the wrangler too, goes on the gladiator so easily it would be dumb not to. I think we may be heading for a real good time on the off-road convertible segment.

JoeDoc

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Construction Superintendent
I'm not saying the Ranger is any more a real truck than the Gladiator.

I'm saying that if you are buying a midsized truck primarily to do "truck" type things, you will get a Ranger or a Colorado.

The Gladiator or Bronco pickup buyers are primarily intersted in the fun aspects of these vehicles. Or they wouldn't spend the extra 15k.
I may be the minority here but I purchased a 2021 Sport S Gladiator because it’s a truck. It has a good towing capacity and I carry a lot of tools driving from state to state building almost any commercial building. As a Superintendent, I don’t need a 1 Ton to get my job done. At the same time, I ride the road less traveled. I look for the back roads, state routes and I’m never in a hurry to get where I’m going so the Gladiator is perfect when I find an old one lane road heading in the direction I’m going. For me, it’s a tool that lets me have a lot of fun when I can. JMO

Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Bronco isn’t a train wreck, it’s just a 1st year vehicle. I’ve been in the Bronco camp for the last year waiting for my wife’s Bronco I surprise ordered her. I’ve driven a few, they’re fantastic. I laugh at anyone in the Bronco camp that says Jeep’s are crap and anyone in the Jeep camp that says Broncos are crap. I think the fanatic Jeep fans are going to be surprised by how good the Bronco will be. In the end, the consumer wins.

OP
OP
Olympusreptiles

Olympusreptiles

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator 80th anniversary
Occupation
Police
Bronco isn’t a train wreck, it’s just a 1st year vehicle. I’ve been in the Bronco camp for the last year waiting for my wife’s Bronco I surprise ordered her. I’ve driven a few, they’re fantastic. I laugh at anyone in the Bronco camp that says Jeep’s are crap and anyone in the Jeep camp that says Broncos are crap. I think the fanatic Jeep fans are going to be surprised by how good the Bronco will be. In the end, the consumer wins.
Oh I definitely don't hate the bronco. I love that sasquatch can be had on any trim. I also dig the trail turn assist. Storage for the doors, etc. Yes, consumer will win as jeep and ford try to out do each other. I am happy only one truck in the space though, as not sure if room for two.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Oh I definitely don't hate the bronco. I love that sasquatch can be had on any trim. I also dig the trail turn assist. Storage for the doors, etc. Yes, consumer will win as jeep and ford try to out do each other. I am happy only one truck in the space though, as not sure if room for two.
Sasquatch is sweet and the trail turn assist is pretty cool feature. I saw Sasquatch for the first time like a month ago on a 4 door and it’s imposing. I immediately would have taken that vehicle home, it drove really good for a car that big.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I would love Jeep to steal some ideas off the Bronco as I have spent quite a bit of time with one.

The frameless doors are quite a bit lighter and storing them in the back is great.

And for the love of God the side mirrors mounted to the windshield frame please Jeep.
What about having those mirrors on the trail? Would they be in the way?
Also, having mirrors come off with the doors allows for more third party options.

Unless they resculpt the body lines a bronco truck sounds awful.

For all of the wide tires and wide fenders and wide body, the waist line pulls in kind quick.

Jeep Gladiator Bronco truck is DEAD 20210827_100024

The visual difference between the sight line of body and the canopy is jarring.
The back of the Gladiator is skinnier than the front, making it look small.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
But... I took a photo of a bronco.

To my eye, the bronco folks were spending a lot of time with the defender folks because they both share the same pontoon fender look and not in a good way.
Sponsored