Not open for further replies.

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hey all! We've been talking about this for a while and for something seemingly simple, it took longer than expected to iron out the details to my satisfaction and get things into production. Anyway, here's what you need to know about our BuiltRight Utility Rail System!

Why?
This is simple. For those of us whose Gladiators didn't come with the trail rail kit from the factory, the only available option if you want to take advantage of an awesome feature is to purchase the Mopar kit separately. I did this right away and the truth is, it's not a bad kit, even at the ~$400 price point. That being said, my first thought was that I could probably accomplish the same or better functionality for nearly half the price. Here were the goals:

1. Fit using only the factory-provided mounting features in the bed
2. Match the depth of the Mopar kit, so that most/all accessories would fit both systems
3. Allow accessories to be easily attached without sliding a t-slot nut in from one end
4. Cost around $200 complete

The Result?
I made a quick video last night (below) but the bottom line is, the Gladiator utility rail kit turned out great! Part of the challenge was that standard strut channel wasn't the right depth, nor did the slots/holes line up well or at all. I ended up having to custom order 2000ft of plain steel extrusion (my wallet didn't appreciate that) and then cut it to length and cut the correct bolt pattern, but the finished product is fantastic. We finished each piece with a durable black texture powdercoat inside and out and have custom injection-molded plastic caps for each end of each rail.

Functionally, the strut channel characteristics are fantastic. Strut channel hardware can be used for easy installation and configuration of attachments and accessories. I'll be adding my bike fork adapter tonight and will post pictures.

Pricing, ordering and shipping?
Since part of the goal was to get costs as low as possible, I wanted to wait until I had the first production run nearly complete before setting pricing and taking payment. Well, we're there! Pleased to announce that we were able to produce and package the entire kit and hit an MSRP of $230 with discounted pre-ordering open immediately. Each kit includes the following:
  • (2x) Side Rail
  • (1x) Front Rail
  • (6x) End Cap
  • (12x) M6x1.0 Bolt
We're still waiting on the injection molding tooling for the black plastic end caps, which could take 3-4 more weeks and then we can shoot the parts and get everything shipped. The first week of December is our current target ship date.

I think that covers most of it! If I missed anything or you have questions, let me know! We have a couple kits out to SEMA builds and one kit out to @steffen707 as a thank you for his awesome and unsolicited video about our product packaging, so you guys will hopefully see some more installed photos and reviews shortly.

Matt Beenen
Engineering

W9aBuKp.jpg

LgbJgUv.jpg

6yNVS4W.jpg

EL61OCK.jpg

h278C8O.jpg

(red caps are 3d printed prototypes)
3opKoTN.jpg

(red caps are 3d printed prototypes)
Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
Will this work with Rough Country hard folding tonneau cover installed?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I think that covers most of it! If I missed anything or you have questions, let me know! We have a couple kits out to SEMA builds and one kit out to @steffen707 as a thank you for his awesome and unsolicited video about our product packaging, so you guys will hopefully see some more installed photos and reviews shortly.
HOLY SH*T! Thanks bud! :like:

I'll try to make a better video this time.

You coming out with some snazzy easily movable tie downs like the MOPAR one has?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
where can we buy the spring loaded strut nuts? what bolt thread do you recommend to work with your bedside racks as well?

are they 1 1/2" strut channel? looks like the nuts from the racks are 1 3/8" wide with 1/4" 20thread holes?

Last edited:

abugarcias

First Name
Reuben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Do you have tie down points for sale that fit in the track or know of any others currently for sale that would fit?

Sponsored

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Will this work with Rough Country hard folding tonneau cover installed?
That's a good question - I'll try to confirm. If the cover fits with the OEM Mopar rails, it'll fit with ours, though.
HOLY SH*T! Thanks bud! :like:

I'll try to make a better video this time.

You coming out with some snazzy easily movable tie downs like the MOPAR one has?
Yes! See below!
where can we buy the spring loaded strut nuts? what bolt thread do you recommend to work with your bedside racks as well?

are they 1 1/2" strut channel? looks like the nuts from the racks are 1 3/8" wide with 1/4" 20thread holes?
You can find them at most hardware stores. Look near the electrical boxes and such. The 1/4in nuts that we include with the panels will work great, but I believe the panels will accept a 3/8in bolt just fine as well!

Don't need a better video - you're first one was great. Don't worry about being fancy, just be genuine!
Do you have tie down points for sale that fit in the track or know of any others currently for sale that would fit?
Tie downs coming for sure! Here's one I've been kicking around (this is plasma cut, but production would be done on the laser for clean edges and then tumbled to round the sharp edges). Will be making some changes from here, but you get the idea.

Any special requests or ideas? Attachments on my 'wish list' include maxtrax mounts, spare tire mounts and a bike rack solution.

Matt

Rsyox2M.jpg

AJbszez.jpg

7yrHevE.jpg

YDjWIty.jpg

abugarcias

First Name
Reuben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
That's a good question - I'll try to confirm. If the cover fits with the OEM Mopar rails, it'll fit with ours, though.

Yes! See below!

You can find them at most hardware stores. Look near the electrical boxes and such. The 1/4in nuts that we include with the panels will work great, but I believe the panels will accept a 3/8in bolt just fine as well!

Don't need a better video - you're first one was great. Don't worry about being fancy, just be genuine!

Tie downs coming for sure! Here's one I've been kicking around (this is plasma cut, but production would be done on the laser for clean edges and then tumbled to round the sharp edges). Will be making some changes from here, but you get the idea.

Any special requests or ideas? Attachments on my 'wish list' include maxtrax mounts, spare tire mounts and a bike rack solution.

Matt

Rsyox2M.jpg

AJbszez.jpg

7yrHevE.jpg

YDjWIty.jpg
Those look stout! Would they have quick release knobs instead of the bolt so you could move them around easily? Bike fork mount would be nice along with hi lift mount.

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Those look stout! Would they have quick release knobs instead of the bolt so you could move them around easily? Bike fork mount would be nice along with hi lift mount.
Yea, could certainly use thumb screws instead of bolts. Wonder if I could come up with a clever quarter-turn option as well. I'll kick that around a bit!

Matt

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I'll drop in another vote for a bike mount.

dwcarr

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Awesome. I just placed my order. I hope you can meet your early December target so I am ready for our Christmas trip.

Now I need advice on how to get 4 bikes and 2 Kayaks mounted.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Awesome. I just placed my order. I hope you can meet your early December target so I am ready for our Christmas trip.

Now I need advice on how to get 4 bikes and 2 Kayaks mounted.
Awesome!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The tie down cleats for Toyota Tacoma fit the cargo rail system on the Gladiator
how about this,
ajbszez-jpg.jpg

plus this with a spring between the tie down and knob?

that would look similar to this, but not as plasticky.
81k%2BetQ11YL._SL1500_.jpg

Okay, i'll stop now. :giggle:
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.