First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
My parents had this happen to a glass fireplace panel (gas fireplace). Middle of summer, 20 year old house. no fire going, BOOM. Glass everywhere.
Looks like it was one hell of a party
Sponsored

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
Sorry to hear about this. Before purchasing the gladiator, we rented a Jeep sport on a drive through upstate NY, and up to Montreal. Had the freedom tops out and a small rock flew in and hit my 8 yr old son in the back seat. We had no idea where it came from. Fortunately, it wasn't moving very fast and he was fine, but it was kinda scary. I've had it happen to me on motorcycles too, where a stone just seems to come out of the clear blue sky. I'm sure these must be kicked up by other vehicles which may be out of sight a the time of impact.
Jeep gladiator sport... New York...Fellas I think we found out culprit lmao...

F507555C-4584-4922-8630-5BED8FDF8129.jpeg

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
So would opening the back "port hole" when the front tops are off help this air pressure thing? Or not?
I had a JK that one day the side glass in my hard top just shattered and was pushed out. I notice when I drive with windows in a certain Position I’ll start to hear buffering kind of a thud sound then I’ll open a window and it goes away. I think it is creating some type of vortex inside and causing pressure to build. Maybe we have some scientist on here could answer
It's a byproduct of the windshield and shape of the front of the vehicle. There really isn't anything you can do about it, opening the back window wouldnt really do anything about it.
Here's my little notepad scribble that sort of shows what happens.
Jeep Gladiator Busted back window 15947286454934034810855763205010

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
The climate controls also play into this. Is the system set for recirculation or fresh air? Open a window a smidge and with a smoke source near the opening, drive a ways using both settings. Fresh air in creates a positive pressure forcing the smoke out. At higher speeds, the window on my 150 will tilt outward 1/16 inch or so when set to fresh.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
It's a byproduct of the windshield and shape of the front of the vehicle. There really isn't anything you can do about it, opening the back window wouldnt really do anything about it.
Here's my little notepad scribble that sort of shows what happens.
15947286454934034810855763205010.jpg
NERD ALERT!

That's a good explanation but I think it may be even more than that. With just the freedom panels off there shouldn't be much wrapping into the cab - due to the sharp transition to the roof there will be a much taller boundary layer. Instead it will flow over the top and, like any pickup, create a high pressure area just behind the cab and in the bed, including vorticies and turbulent air curling off the (also sharp) transition from the roof. Combine that with a low pressure area in the cab as fast moving air creates a venturi effect over the freedom top opening.....sucking anything in through the back is inevitable if something is coming that way.

The glass shattering is the bigger conundrum here IMO, but that could be any number of things. A tiny sharp rock will create a chip that can then explode. There could have been damage there already and the pressure difference caused the shattering - look up a video of tempered glass shattering and it doesn't take much to blow the windows apart once they sustain any kind of minor damage. This is much safer than plate glass sending daggers all over the place but also makes a huge mess

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
NERD ALERT!

That's a good explanation but I think it may be even more than that. With just the freedom panels off there shouldn't be much wrapping into the cab - due to the sharp transition to the roof there will be a much taller boundary layer. Instead it will flow over the top and, like any pickup, create a high pressure area just behind the cab and in the bed, including vorticies and turbulent air curling off the (also sharp) transition from the roof. Combine that with a low pressure area in the cab as fast moving air creates a venturi effect over the freedom top opening.....sucking anything in through the back is inevitable if something is coming that way.

The glass shattering is the bigger conundrum here IMO, but that could be any number of things. A tiny sharp rock will create a chip that can then explode. There could have been damage there already and the pressure difference caused the shattering - look up a video of tempered glass shattering and it doesn't take much to blow the windows apart once they sustain any kind of minor damage. This is much safer than plate glass sending daggers all over the place but also makes a huge mess
Jeep totally naked, gave minimal forward air in rear seat. Jeep top off with sunshade and no doors gives a little forward air. Top off, sunshade on, doors on gives A LOT of forward air. This was observed easily by my 7 yr old daughters hair. The last combo had her hair blowing straight forward. Just like if she had stuck her head above the roof while looking backwards at speed. I have 3 daughters and they all put their hair in pony tails before riding with me while top is off.

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
It's funny you guys are talking about objects coming into the cabin while driving, me and the wife were just talking about this the other day. Since I've had my Gladiator I've been hit by more objects than I can count. Just the other day I had something fly in and hit me in the neck and it ended up between my seatbelt and my neck and bit me. I'm allergic to certain bees and I had no idea what it was that bit me so I popped a few Benadryl just in case.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Bees sting, flies bite. Low tolerance here also for stings. Sooner or later, every one hits their personal "reaction threshold" That is what the doctor told me and his name was not Donald.

Pmeserkhani

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Hi everyone,

Today I was driving with the freedom panels off and all of a sudden the middle piece of the back window exploded. I was just driving at about 50-55. This should not have happened. My wife, dog, and I were both covered in glass with multiple shards of glass in our skin.

Has this happened to anyone? I feel like this is a manufacture problem. This is a serious safety concern for me and my family.
Had the same issue. Hopefully enough people actually report their issue so jeep can fix it. Was driving down the highway with the freedom panels off when the back sliding glass exploded out of nowhere. No rocks or anything. Just blew up. At the time I was less than 12,000 miles. Also I found that the back glass is leaking water due to a poor seal against the body.
My bed rack was solid at the time and did not come in contact with the back glass. Hypothetically even if it had it would have contacted the surrounding glass. Not the recessed sliding piece.
Jeep Gladiator Busted back window CF473E1C-EB6E-4889-A122-EF939591B5A1
Jeep Gladiator Busted back window 72F20D43-EF78-45E7-94AB-1C517B4A936D

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepGRael

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Had the same issue. Hopefully enough people actually report their issue so jeep can fix it. Was driving down the highway with the freedom panels off when the back sliding glass exploded out of nowhere. No rocks or anything. Just blew up. At the time I was less than 12,000 miles. Also I found that the back glass is leaking water due to a poor seal against the body.
My bed rack was solid at the time and did not come in contact with the back glass. Even if it had it would have brown the surrounding glass. Not the recessed sliding piece.
I contacted Chrysler and let them know what happened. I had to meet an investigator at the dealership too. Chrysler sent me 2000 bucks to pay for the replacement and the inconvenience.

Pmeserkhani

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I contacted Chrysler and let them know what happened. I had to meet an investigator at the dealership too. Chrysler sent me 2000 bucks to pay for the replacement and the inconvenience.
Thank you I’ll definitely let them know. If this is common enough they should issue a recall!

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
what MPH were you guys traveling and did you both have the t-tops off?