Buying Decision Thread (DECISION MADE!)

Hunteruu

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR
Sorry to bring this up for probably the millionth time, but I'm getting serious on purchasing a JT, but don't know if/when a good time to buy is.

Obviously inventory, chip shortage, COVID, etc., they are all playing their roll in our lives right now, and it's making the buying process a bit more unclear than usual for me.

Prices just seem too high, but general interest rates seem low to coax potential buyers (me). There aren't as many incentives to buy new, but again, used ones seem to be nearly just as expensive.

I'm just at a bit of a loss. What is really considered a good deal right now? What should I be looking at that would be worth pulling the trigger? I'm looking for a Rubicon in particular, maybe a Mojave. I just don't want to give myself a bad deal and super high payment.

Any thoughts, ideas, numbers (Jeep costs, interest rates, etc.) Would be really appreciated.
Sponsored

JeepJunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ Rubicon, 2019 JLU, 2022 JT Mojave
I see youā€™re on the east coast.
i just ordered mine from Leon Travis at Criswell in Bethesda, Maryland @
[email protected]
they gave me 6% below invoice by ordering and the process was painless.
of course, I have to wait for my Gladiator now, but Iā€™m in no rush and get it optioned just as I want it.
there are conditions for the 6%: tread lightly membership and financing through Criswell. But that is certainly worth saving thousands to me.
best of luck and let us know what happens.

OP
OP
Hunteruu

Hunteruu

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR
I see youā€™re on the east coast.
i just ordered mine from Leon Travis at Criswell in Bethesda, Maryland @
[email protected]
they gave me 6% below invoice by ordering and the process was painless.
of course, I have to wait for my Gladiator now, but Iā€™m in no rush and get it optioned just as I want it.
there are conditions for the 6%: tread lightly membership and financing through Criswell. But that is certainly worth saving thousands to me.
best of luck and let us know what happens.
I'm actually overseas at the moment, but will be moving to the coast of GA in a few months. That's a bit of a haul to MD, but it's great to hear they are helping the bottom line for orders.

I found a 2020 JTR at 20k miles fully optioned at roughly $50k shipped to me. USAA has a rate of 2.79% up to 72mo. for it, but any 2021 or newer drops to 1.89% for up to 84mo.

I am super close to pulling the trigger on the 2020, but something is just holding me back but I don't know why. I would love reassurance that it's worth it.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
If it's a fully optioned 2020 JTR with only 20k miles on it, that's a good deal for sure. Msrp would easily have been over $60k. I know there are people who say they wouldn't buy a first model year, but this thing wasn't completely original and there are a lot of happy 2020 owners on here

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
Now is a great time to order new from one of the dealers offering 5-7% below invoice. You get exactly what you want(within ordering limits), you pay way less than MSRP, and you get a brand new vehicle. The only real downsides are that you have to wait and you may have to travel a bit. I live in MA and ordered mine in TN, but I enjoyed the trip and the drive home.

Sponsored

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Truck Driver
Some of is what you want and what you can afford. I would be much happier with a brand new 22 than a 20 with 20k miles used if I could afford it. don't get so caught up in the deal that you don't get what you want.

OP
OP
Hunteruu

Hunteruu

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR
If it's a fully optioned 2020 JTR with only 20k miles on it, that's a good deal for sure. Msrp would easily have been over $60k. I know there are people who say they wouldn't buy a first model year, but this thing wasn't completely original and there are a lot of happy 2020 owners on here
That's a good point. The original window sticker was $58k.

Now is a great time to order new from one of the dealers offering 5-7% below invoice. You get exactly what you want(within ordering limits), you pay way less than MSRP, and you get a brand new vehicle. The only real downsides are that you have to wait and you may have to travel a bit. I live in MA and ordered mine in TN, but I enjoyed the trip and the drive home.
If that's true, that may be the best route to go, especially with financing on top of it.

Some of is what you want and what you can afford. I would be much happier with a brand new 22 than a 20 with 20k miles used if I could afford it. don't get so caught up in the deal that you don't get what you want.
That's also a good point. The 2020 literally is just how I'd order it, but now it's 10k less than new. The financing is the worst part as it's a higher rate for used than a new one.

So get the one that has it just the way I want for $10k less (regardless of APR, bottom line is a big deal), or find/order a new one?

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
I suppose it comes down to time more than anything. Is new worth the 2-3 month wait that people seem to be averaging?

For comparison sake, I ordered a '21 Rubicon that was optioned the way I wanted. Window sticker was $61,950 and I paid about $54,500 before tax and title.

OP
OP
Hunteruu

Hunteruu

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR
I suppose it comes down to time more than anything. Is new worth the 2-3 month wait that people seem to be averaging?

For comparison sake, I ordered a '21 Rubicon that was optioned the way I wanted. Window sticker was $61,950 and I paid about $54,500 before tax and title.
That's a big difference, and I would have to say it would be worth it. Did you have to use their financing? Or could you use your own? I won't be home from overseas until late April, so the wait is not an issue at all.

How would I go about getting a deal like that to order one? Just reach out to my local dealership back home and mention that others are getting 5-6% off invoice when they order and I'd like to do the same?

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
That's a big difference, and I would have to say it would be worth it. Did you have to use their financing? Or could you use your own? I won't be home from overseas until late April, so the wait is not an issue at all.

How would I go about getting a deal like that to order one? Just reach out to my local dealership back home and mention that others are getting 5-6% off invoice when they order and I'd like to do the same?
It would seem that dealers offering this are few and far between. There is Gupton in TN, then I believe there is one in PA, one in MD, and one in GA that are offering the below invoice pricing. I got 1% off for financing through them and 1% off for joining Tread Lightly which costs $100 and you have to do it in advance because there is a waiting period on it. Each percentage amounts to around $5-600 so if you don't want to join TL or go with their financing, it isn't a huge difference.

You could TRY to bring it up to your preferred local dealer, but a lot try this and I haven't seen many on here talk about being successful. Being in Georgia, someone on here should be able to point out which one it was making the offer and then you won't have to travel far.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hunteruu

Hunteruu

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR
It would seem that dealers offering this are few and far between. There is Gupton in TN, then I believe there is one in PA, one in MD, and one in GA that are offering the below invoice pricing. I got 1% off for financing through them and 1% off for joining Tread Lightly which costs $100 and you have to do it in advance because there is a waiting period on it. Each percentage amounts to around $5-600 so if you don't want to join TL or go with their financing, it isn't a huge difference.

You could TRY to bring it up to your preferred local dealer, but a lot try this and I haven't seen many on here talk about being successful. Being in Georgia, someone on here should be able to point out which one it was making the offer and then you won't have to travel far.
Thanks for the info. I reached out to the above mentioned contact from MD. I don't mind traveling as long as it's not super far away. If it's worth the price and just what I want, it would be worth it.

I already asked a few of the local dealers and they basically laughed at my email inquiry lol.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer

That seems like a much better option than buying a 2020 with 20k miles in my opinion. Plus who knows why it was traded inā€¦couldā€™ve been some nagging electrical problem for all the buyer knows.

If OP can wait, then I say order new the way he/she wants at one of these dealers doing below invoice pricing.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to bring this up for probably the millionth time, but I'm getting serious on purchasing a JT, but don't know if/when a good time to buy is.

Obviously inventory, chip shortage, COVID, etc., they are all playing their roll in our lives right now, and it's making the buying process a bit more unclear than usual for me.

Prices just seem too high, but general interest rates seem low to coax potential buyers (me). There aren't as many incentives to buy new, but again, used ones seem to be nearly just as expensive.

I'm just at a bit of a loss. What is really considered a good deal right now? What should I be looking at that would be worth pulling the trigger? I'm looking for a Rubicon in particular, maybe a Mojave. I just don't want to give myself a bad deal and super high payment.

Any thoughts, ideas, numbers (Jeep costs, interest rates, etc.) Would be really appreciated.
If this has already been said, just take it as another of the same opinion. I will never pay over sticker, and we bought two new cars this year, including our JTR. We paid under sticker for both, but not by a ton. The reason we bought this year is because the used market is so high, making our trades very valuable. We got more back for one of them than we paid 2 years and 18k miles ago. So for us, the high trades were the reasoning to go new. Used is too high as a buyer in my opinion. There are lots of dealers charging way over sticker, but if youā€™re patient, youā€™ll find one that isnā€™t. For what itā€™s worth, we love our rubicon.

OP
OP
Hunteruu

Hunteruu

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR
That seems like a much better option than buying a 2020 with 20k miles in my opinion. Plus who knows why it was traded inā€¦couldā€™ve been some nagging electrical problem for all the buyer knows.

If OP can wait, then I say order new the way he/she wants at one of these dealers doing below invoice pricing.
That's true as to reasons why it was traded in, and it does seem overall better to wait and order. Just trying to find a dealer seems to be the issue for that route.

If this has already been said, just take it as another of the same opinion. I will never pay over sticker, and we bought two new cars this year, including our JTR. We paid under sticker for both, but not by a ton. The reason we bought this year is because the used market is so high, making our trades very valuable. We got more back for one of them than we paid 2 years and 18k miles ago. So for us, the high trades were the reasoning to go new. Used is too high as a buyer in my opinion. There are lots of dealers charging way over sticker, but if youā€™re patient, youā€™ll find one that isnā€™t. For what itā€™s worth, we love our rubicon.
I wish I had another vehicle to trade as that would certainly push me to do it. I do not plan on paying over sticker either, so I don't mind waiting.

I did find another new 2021 JTR at a local dealer with everything I want minus LEDs and trail camera for $55k. That could be pretty temping, at that price, right?

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
I did find another new 2021 JTR at a local dealer with everything I want minus LEDs and trail camera for $55k. That could be pretty temping, at that price, right?
Hard to say without knowing the MSRP. I paid less than that and have both options, but I didn't have automatic which saved me a lot. Add in a diesel and it could be a steal.
Sponsored