Sponsored

Campers!! What you pulling with your jt, or reasonable overland bed camper??

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
Runaway Rangerunner (800 pounds) on order. Should be very comfortable to tow with much better gas mileage compared to my recently sold Rpod 189 at 3500 pounds. Now the hard part, waiting 3 months for delivery.

60526FAE-511B-47E3-836C-679FEA12518D.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
Olympusreptiles

Olympusreptiles

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator 80th anniversary
Occupation
Police
It comes with an attached room and I use a luggable loo. Portable private bathroom.
If not to much to ask, would likely be to see a pic of camp setup, attached room, loo location, etc. Something like that may be an option.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If not to much to ask, would likely be to see a pic of camp setup, attached room, loo location, etc. Something like that may be an option.
The room goes on the back lid. I’ll send a pic once I set it up again. I have been using a portable toilet (Luggable Loo) and separate pop tent placed nearby. No smell and no mess.
Jeep Gladiator Campers!!  What you pulling with your jt, or reasonable overland bed camper?? C78546FC-0C77-476D-B658-0BC7F6FF0C3C
Jeep Gladiator Campers!!  What you pulling with your jt, or reasonable overland bed camper?? 1AF81344-24AC-407C-BA30-0955D065408D

tjZ06

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 JGC Overland 4.7 HO, '18 JGC Trackhawk 6.2 SC
Occupation
Tech
I don't have a Gladiator yet, but this is my little off-road camping trailer:
Jeep Gladiator Campers!!  What you pulling with your jt, or reasonable overland bed camper?? 20210620_131851
Jeep Gladiator Campers!!  What you pulling with your jt, or reasonable overland bed camper?? 20210528_140911
Jeep Gladiator Campers!!  What you pulling with your jt, or reasonable overland bed camper?? 20210528_140917

It weighs 2800lbs (verified at a CAT scale) with the front basket full of hardwood and the 30 gallon water tank full, plus all my gear/supplies for a week of camping.

The awnings do have annex rooms (one is a 3 wall, no floor more of a basic privacy thing, the other is a full 4-wall and floor real "room") but I just about never use them. I'm usually trying to stuff it back into some trees (these pics notwithstanding, the setup pics were in Moonrocks, NV where there are no trees) to keep as much shade on it as possible (especially in the AM hours, since I like to sleep in a bit past sunrise).

Since I don't really use the awnings, my "bathroom" solution is:
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-2-Room-Changing-Shelter-Outdoor/dp/B00KAFFSNO

and:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TKGAKO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 2-room tent is nice since I can't stand up in my trailer, sometimes it's easier to change in the "shower" space of the pop-up. The tent has a bladder that you fill up and set in the sun (it's black rubber) to have hot water for a shower. However, my trailer has an instant-hot water heater. If I put the tent close 'nough to the trailer I can take the hose off the sink faucet and it has a shower head and run it into the tent for a real running water shower. However, I usually put the tent further away from camp, for somewhat obvious reasons, so I can just fill the bladder with hot water from the trailer instead.

-TJ

rm1515

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
2021 Geo Pro 12RK- Pulls great and weighs less than 1800#. Love it because most of my time is spent outside. Bears 🐻 poop in the woods so I can too. Perfect for me!
Jeep Gladiator Campers!!  What you pulling with your jt, or reasonable overland bed camper?? 20210528_140917
This is what I am thinking of getting next spring. Will it fit in your garage? website says 7'6" in height. my garage is 8' tall.

Sponsored

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
We went with the Taxa Cricket after looking at many many teardrops and similar. It's on the pricier end but it's very well engineered, can go pretty much anywhere, and the kitchen is inside, which I really like given we take it out year round........
Are you ski bumming in the winter like Warren Miller? Where do you use it year-round?

goose464

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max tow
Vehicle Showcase
Is that a max tow package? And pulls ok, meaning no issues, or gets the job done but is scary as hell?
Pulls ok meaning I feel safe and in control but not 100% happy. I am new to towing so have been working with people in the forum as well as friends/family in real life to help. Not sure if it is the JT or just my expectations.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The problem I see with towing threads is that if a person is asking something, almost all, if not all, are responses from max tow or Rubicon owners. Apples and oranges when it's Overland asking.
Gear ratios, wheelbase width, so the experiences will be quite different.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that is stellar. Man, news like that is making me really excited about my gladiator.
Your truck is based on the OVerland, correct? 3.73 axle ratio, not as wide a wheelbase as sport s max tow or Rubicon. Towing experiences and mpg will be quite different.
Anyone showing a huge tall or heavy rig and they have a sport s or a rubicon -cut your expectations accordingly. You have a higher gear ratio and not as wide a wheel base. You'll feel things behind you more and the gear ratio will change how well it pulls in hills, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Olympusreptiles

Olympusreptiles

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police
Your truck is based on the OVerland, correct? 3.73 axle ratio, not as wide a wheelbase as sport s max tow or Rubicon. Towing experiences and mpg will be quite different.
Anyone showing a huge tall or heavy rig and they have a sport s or a rubicon -cut your expectations accordingly. You have a higher gear ratio and not as wide a wheel base. You'll feel things behind you more and the gear ratio will change how well it pulls in hills, etc.
Yes, I am aware it will be different. Technically the anniversary is based on a sport s, but option wise seems closer to an overland to me as well.

I am trying to gauge what would be safe, as my current trailer (never pulled it with the jt, but did with my JK Rubicon and my jl 2.0t) is under 2k. Curious if something around 4k (with gear inside, so likely 3.5k) single axle would go down the road ok. Tow rating is 6k, but I really don't want to be that close to the limit.

OP
OP
Olympusreptiles

Olympusreptiles

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police
This is my build. 3500lbs max capacity. Pulled it with our previous sport non max tow. Haven’t pulled it with the diesel. Damn work getting in the way.

Jeep Gladiator Campers!!  What you pulling with your jt, or reasonable overland bed camper?? DA00F53F-91F9-4B2A-BF47-B70D5C9C5045

Jeep Gladiator Campers!!  What you pulling with your jt, or reasonable overland bed camper?? DA00F53F-91F9-4B2A-BF47-B70D5C9C5045

Building that is above my skill level! How was pulling that weight with the sport? That would be a good comparison to what I want to do

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Building that is above my skill level! How was pulling that weight with the sport? That would be a good comparison to what I want to do
The weight didn’t seem like a problem for the Sport. The height and the fact that a brick is pulling a bigger brick through the wind was not ideal. The 3.6 gasser with auto was always hunting gears. Note that Around here every road is either uphill or down. May not be as noticeable if you live in the flats.
Sponsored