Power in your camper

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I have a pop-up camper on my truck and trying to configure how to have power back there and wonder how others have set theirs up aside from carrying something like a LIthium cube/Jackery/Eco-flow/etc.

Do you have a second battery back there? How are you storing it? What's your set-up? What would you do different? etc.

I got a 100ah battery for xmas and now need to figure out how and where to hook it all up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PsyRN

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One option is a battery box this like, pre-built with various outputs:

https://a.co/d/1t3Eje9

There are a million variants like this
Ha! I've never seen one like this. When you said battery box I was thinking more like a DIY Power Station. Which is still a possibility.

Though I'm thinking more of a built in set-up.

Get a battery box (simple or elaborate) for the 100ah battery in the bed and wire it to a Redarc BCDC 1225D charger and you'll be able to build from there.

Or you can go all out with this bad boy... https://gp-factor.com/collections/a...redarc-complete-system?variant=41921274478765
:CWL: if I went "all out", I think I'll need to move into my camper after wifey kicks me out.

a battery box would protect it some from inside the bed though. However, leaving it open allows for easier expansion if I want to add more power in the cab via another battery or larger battery.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Well so far I've got 2 100ah Renogy batteries, 4 100watt solar panels, 40amp mppt controller. Need a set of switches and a disconnect. 700$ on batteries, 400$ or less on panels and 130 on the controller. Also have a set of zamp plugs. So I can use one set of permanently mounted panels and one set for basically shore power as a solar suitcase. Plug into the camper (when I get it) and be able to move it with the sun.
Didn't want to have to tie into the vehicle electrical system.
Bought everything from Renogy ebay store. They run specials all the time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PsyRN

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m kinda on the fence about keeping it solar and separate from the main electrics but I think running a dc/dc controller would be ok. It’s also a bit easier to setup initially.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I actually went round and round on this for our CTC last year. In the end I went with the small Jackery (300) and loved it. We charged while we drove. At night plugged both cells and tablet in and also had our lights in the trailer plugged in. Never once did we go below 70% over night. And didn't require any crazy wiring or changes. We grab it when we travel also now just so if we want to plug something in the bed we have it.