First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
yes over the axle or the pin is a few inches behind axle . you must use slider hitch to back the the RV . im going to use inbed 5th wheel rails with L brackets bolted thou the frame . this is the wifes truck i have it just as a back up for my tow vehicle . the gladiator mirror are way to small to tow with , this is what i normal tow with

truck11.jpg
Esh… I just figured with how far forward the rear axle sits, and how short the bed is, that once slid forward you really cut down on your box front to cab clearance for turning….. kind of negates the purpose.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I've spent the last two months looking into pulling an Oliver travel trailer, weight around 4800 lbs. and a tongue weight of 500 lbs. Those are empty weights so adding more weight is a given. After watching many YouTube reviews on towing with a Gladiator I have decided it would be a big mistake with the V6 gas engine, but with the 3.0 diesel it would do a good job. All being said if you did go with the V6 be ready to be running your gas engine around 4000 RPM just to keep pulling, a lot of engine noise, and the trans shifting up and down through the gears a lot. I think you will be very unhappy with the results of the V6.
DSCN3868.JPG
Meh…5,600lbs dry with a hitch weight of 715lbs. Just pulled through the Appalachians to a KOA in central PA.

The ONLY place that was a slow down was a steep grade climb where Even the tractor trailers slow down. I ended up doing about 25- 30 mph in 2nd and 3rd gear, 2nd just at the top of the grade. Aside from that one spot though I was able to maintain highway speeds and stay in sixth gear, and even sometimes seventh, the entire trip. The engine is definitely NOT screaming the entire trip. Uphills is down shifts a bit then goes back to normal.

i gor 11-12mpg most of the trip. And 9-10 on the last leg with the mountains.

2020 JTMT 3.6 engine

i was VERY nervous about the heavier camper, and found that the web is just full of naysayers and party poopers. If the numbers add up id trust the truck. The only caveat is consider where you live. Im mostly at or near sea level and only tow through the mountains occasionally.

Jeep Gladiator Can a jeep gladiator pull an escape trailer 5th wheel AF04E35D-4A3D-48F6-8FA0-21C80652318F

Jeep Gladiator Can a jeep gladiator pull an escape trailer 5th wheel FD4993F9-0947-453C-B81D-734DCC224E4E

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Yes, MANUAL shifting is a must. I have a 5,100-5,200 lb 27' travel trailer I tow with my 3.6L Overland.

Any time I've tried to just leave it in drive and let it try to do it's own thing, it's a screamin' mimi in 4th just trying to get up to 65 mph. That's NOT necessary so, I ONLY shift manually. And, the engine is not lugging in any way at those RPMS. 8th is pretty much out the window as it's around 1,600 RPMS at 65 mph and I can feel it lugging and speed drops off...unless going down hill. That's the only time mine'll see 8th.

It handles it fine. Like GREN71 says, though, east coast towing is easier as it's generally flatter.

When towing my camper, I don't go over 65 mph on the highway, and I am able to keep my RPMs between 2,000 and 2,500. In 7th, it's generally around 2,000 RPMs. When speed starts to drop, I can drop back to 6th and, again, around 2,500 RPMs, and get back to cruising speed of 65 mph TOPS, then back to 7th (usually around 62-63 mph and can get up to 65 mph). Haven't gone anywhere yet with more mountainous terrain and similar type roads. Eventually, eventually...then I'll figure out shifting when the time comes and, to hell with everyone else who thinks I'm going too slow. It's MY drive, not theirs, and I'll drive in the manner that I am comfortable with.

My last trip, I got an average of 13 mpg. Around 12.5 going to where I was going because of a head wind that kept me flipping between 6th and 7th to maintain between 60 and 65 mpg, then 13.5 on the way back because I probably had a tail wind.

Going to the Outer Banks in mid-September so we'll see, again, how my Overland does. I'm sure it'll be just like the other trips I've taken đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, MANUAL shifting is a must. I have a 5,100-5,200 lb 27' travel trailer I tow with my 3.6L Overland.

Any time I've tried to just leave it in drive and let it try to do it's own thing, it's a screamin' mimi in 4th just trying to get up to 65 mph. That's NOT necessary so, I ONLY shift manually. And, the engine is not lugging in any way at those RPMS. 8th is pretty much out the window as it's around 1,600 RPMS at 65 mph and I can feel it lugging and speed drops off...unless going down hill. That's the only time mine'll see 8th.

It handles it fine. Like GREN71 says, though, east coast towing is easier as it's generally flatter.

When towing my camper, I don't go over 65 mph on the highway, and I am able to keep my RPMs between 2,000 and 2,500. In 7th, it's generally around 2,000 RPMs. When speed starts to drop, I can drop back to 6th and, again, around 2,500 RPMs, and get back to cruising speed of 65 mph TOPS, then back to 7th (usually around 62-63 mph and can get up to 65 mph). Haven't gone anywhere yet with more mountainous terrain and similar type roads. Eventually, eventually...then I'll figure out shifting when the time comes and, to hell with everyone else who thinks I'm going too slow. It's MY drive, not theirs, and I'll drive in the manner that I am comfortable with.

My last trip, I got an average of 13 mpg. Around 12.5 going to where I was going because of a head wind that kept me flipping between 6th and 7th to maintain between 60 and 65 mpg, then 13.5 on the way back because I probably had a tail wind.

Going to the Outer Banks in mid-September so we'll see, again, how my Overland does. I'm sure it'll be just like the other trips I've taken đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť
X2 with the manual shifting. Completely forgot to mention that part! I have the same experience with rpm and shift points.

I’m pretty sure I saw someone on this forum, maybe in the what are you towing thread, that was pulling the fifth wheel scamp. Not sure if that’s the same as what the OP he’s talking about or not though.

DesertGladiator

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
If you search "2 Girls Garage Jeep 5th Wheel" they did an episode where they made it happen. Beds gotta come off obviously, I believe someone makes a kit.
Sponsored