Sponsored

CAN BUS PROTECTION

Darkspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTDR
Is anyone making a plate that inhibits access to the can bus star connectors behind the glove box? Like a steel plate with security screws? Wanted to check if i could buy one before i made one. This would prevent someone from using a DMAX (https://www.aetools.us) and programmer plugged into the can bus to flash new key fobs.

could almost just be angle iron with two holes and replace those two bolts with safety screws.

Jeep Gladiator CAN BUS PROTECTION 1674881652156
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone making a plate that inhibits access to the can bus star connectors behind the glove box? Like a steel plate with security screws? Wanted to check if i could buy one before i made one. This would prevent someone from using a DMAX (https://www.aetools.us) plugged into the can bus to flash new key fobs.

could almost just be angle iron with two holes and replace those two bolts with safety screws.

Jeep Gladiator CAN BUS PROTECTION 1674881652156
It would need to be real stout plate otherwise I could just bend it back with 'ChannelLock' pliers.
A big enough pair will bend some heavy gauge stuff.
To stop me, you'd have to anchor it at the top as well so I didn't have anything to grip onto or have a pretty thick piece of steel, over 1/8".

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
following

OP
OP
Darkspeed

Darkspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTDR
Those modules just pop of that mounting strip, maybe a heavy clamshell box with a slot for wires.

Or maybe a 3000psi glitter cannon that fires as you rip down the glovebox.

or maybe relocate the star connectors and replace them with dummy connectors.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Those modules just pop of that mounting strip, maybe a heavy clamshell box with a slot for wires.

Or maybe a 3000psi glitter cannon that fires as you rip down the glovebox.
I like the thought of a channel, something you can't just pry down to gain access. It's almost silly that it's so easily accessible by simply opening the glove box, pulling back a tab to remove the glove box, and there's the nerve center of the vehicle.
Nice for the Jeep techs but we know anything that makes life easier for the good guys makes it 10 times easier for the bad guys.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Darkspeed

Darkspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTDR
my next project is adding tilt, shock, glass break, and two radar motion detectors to the factory alarm and locking down the can bus stars.

OP
OP
Darkspeed

Darkspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTDR
I have some 3/16 wall square tubing i could slot both ends for wires and slide the stars inside the tube, then safety screw blanks on the ends.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
it sure is a shame that we have to even worry this much about our personal property.... :-(

I know the last 5 years or so that I lived in Washington state I wouldn't even go hiking anymore because it was well known cars were broken into. and of course police and prosecutors did nothing. they actually went so far as to tell people to just 'buy a junker car'. pretty sad how commonplace it is these days.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
It would need to be real stout plate otherwise I could just bend it back with 'ChannelLock' pliers.
A big enough pair will bend some heavy gauge stuff.
To stop me, you'd have to anchor it at the top as well so I didn't have anything to grip onto or have a pretty thick piece of steel, over 1/8".
Nothing is theft-proof. But how many of the thieves doing this sort of vehicle theft are going to be prepared to do that? They're probably carrying just what they normally need, and little more. If they are carrying a few grand worth of electronics AND some heavy duty channel-locks just in case they come across a Jeep with a security plate nobody has ever seen before, they probably also have a set of security bits to just unscrew it if it's too thick to bend. No matter how strong you make it, if there is a way for you to get it back off, so can a crook. But why should they bother when the Jeep 3 doors down doesn't have anything?

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Just coat the entire thing in epoxy and hope you don't need any service performed using those.

Half kidding.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Tuffy or ? needs to make this for the JL and JT.

5932AD77-43E4-42E8-8933-05F19A124EAA.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing is theft-proof. But how many of the thieves doing this sort of vehicle theft are going to be prepared to do that? They're probably carrying just what they normally need, and little more. If they are carrying a few grand worth of electronics AND some heavy duty channel-locks just in case they come across a Jeep with a security plate nobody has ever seen before, they probably also have a set of security bits to just unscrew it if it's too thick to bend. No matter how strong you make it, if there is a way for you to get it back off, so can a crook. But why should they bother when the Jeep 3 doors down doesn't have anything?
Let's just say I know what a few carried with them in the past because we've had to impound locked vehicles with no keys, and we've had cars brought in by the law that were confiscated from car thieves. There are certain regular tools they carry, and unless that is more secure, they'll have what they need.
Security screws are a joke and only as good as what they go through or what they go into. Unless they would be 1/4" or better in side and screwed into steel, they could be easily popped out.

Someone who is going to plug into the CAN bus to take your car is also going to have a prybar to rip that right off.
Security glove box? A screwdriver will get past that. It has a single point holding it in place, pull hard on the right end to distort it and she'll pop right loose.
I had to learn how to think like a thief and be prepared years ago, including plans to avoid dogs, etc. (window to window transfer was used in one case - John pulled up almost right against the vehicle, window down, and said "crawl over! They have Dobermans and here they come!"

I've seen what is carried in the backs of some vehicles used by the not-so-law-abiding.
Maybe they've changed these days - but back then, they carried more than a slim-jim.

I'm really not sure why there's so much concentration on the tiny details, the really small spots instead of the bigger picture - keep the damned fob away from the wall, shield it, and to prevent "programming", keep the vehicle locked up in a locked place, or rig something to easily disable it.
Otherwise, if they want it, they will get it.
With a big screwdriver and pliers, I can get through most things like glove boxes, consoles, metal plates, I'll bust screws off, bend stuff, etc. And with the security gateway so easily accessed on these - that leaves a lot of the system wide open.

Back to basics, don't over-think it.
Trust me, I could get past plating and screws with what I could carry in a pocket or one hand.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.
or rig something to easily disable it.
This is my line of thought. No need to go through all the trouble of measuring, cutting, welding, whatever else when it would just be easier to rig a type of kill switch.
Many years ago when I lived in a less than desirable neighborhood, I had a GMC vehicle that I would simply pop the hood and pull out a “fuse” (more likely a relay) from the fuse box and the vehicle wouldn’t start no matter what. A potential thief would have to know to look for that.
Sponsored