Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Back when I used to sell luxury cars and someone was on the fence as far as pulling the trigger, I’d say basically that.

Honda and Toyota make great vehicles, but do you want something you look forward to driving everyday, something you turn around and look back at as you’re walking away after you park it? It’s so true.

It’s the same with my Gladiator. Hell sometimes I’ll see mine and think that’s a great looking gladiator before I realize it’s mine.
I had to drive wife's car to dealership last night, so I was following her in my Gladiator... I was admiring how nice that rear end was...
Sponsored

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
It make mores torque , sooner . But I'm not even talking about having it as an option in a Gladiator . I'm making the statement that I think it's a fantastic option in a wrangler , speaking from experience.
Thats not the point. People think power equals better towing and thats not correct.

Towing capacity is just as much about cooling as it power. Yes of-course more power is better than less but its of zero use if you cant cool the engine and transmission. Turbo charged engines are harder to keep cool. Turbo engines also typically have narrower power bands.

Is it a good engine? Sure but is better for towing? No. Is the Gladiator a pick-up truck and therefore expected to tow? Yes. Is the turbo 4 cylinder a better choice for that function? No. Does everyone need or want the option to tow? No. Does Jeep see a mark for 3 different engines in the Gladiator? Well, probably not seeing as they don't offer that. Maybe there is as is they aren't offering it yet.

Your intentions are good with both questions but your take is also wrong about both.

The Gladiator looks like a Wrangler to drive sales. It's that simple.

Turbos work with Diesels but not gas engines when towing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JD101

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon , 2021 JLU
Proven to have a lawsuit 🤣🤷‍♂️
If there is a class action for this engine , the term proven needs to stop being thrown around. Sounds like it wasn't as good as everyone thinks it was
I should say the 3.6 has a more known history than the 2.0 in the states . The sample size all be it in different capacities is pretty broad in contrast to the 2.0 . I believe it's also pretty positive over it's current life span . Most folks believe this as a good thing as apposed to the " unknown 2.0 " despite the short comings of the 3.6 . The 3.6 is actually the only Jeep engine that has gave me fits in my 2018 JLR . Enough that I rid myself of the vehicle . However it didn't stop me from buying the Gladiator . Party because the eco d reliability in in the JL/JT was sort of a question mark . JMO .

OP
OP

JD101

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats not the point. People think power equals better towing and thats not correct.

Towing capacity is just as much about cooling as it power. Yes of-course more power is better than less but its of zero use if you cant cool the engine and transmission. Turbo charged engines are harder to keep cool. Turbo engines also typically have narrower power bands.

Is it a good engine? Sure but is better for towing? No. Is the Gladiator a pick-up truck and therefore expected to tow? Yes. Is the turbo 4 cylinder a better choice for that function? No. Does everyone need or want the option to tow? No. Does Jeep see a mark for 3 different engines in the Gladiator? Well, probably not seeing as they don't offer that. Maybe there is as is they aren't offering it yet.

Your intentions are good with both questions but your take is also wrong about both.

The Gladiator looks like a Wrangler to drive sales. It's that simple.

Turbos work with Diesels but not gas engines when towing.
I fully understand why the gladiator looks like it does . I'm disappointed that after 3 decade hiatus and the Gladiator name plate it doesn't look a bit different .

I'm not advocating for the 2.0 in a Gladiator either , my statement was that people should not under estate the 2.0 especially without driving one . This was in the JL platform . Just a topic of discussion not tied to the gladiator it's self . A 3rd engine pipe dream for the Gladiator would be the simple 5.7 for me .

Idk the ecoboost Fords seem to tow pretty well .... So does the baby turbo gm engine in the 1/2 tons . I will grant that the larger truck offers better cooling opportunity . Then there is the ranger . But I have no experience there with towing .

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I like that the JT looks like the JL, it's 1 of the big things that drew me to it. I also thinks it makes a lot of sense to have them look similar and share pretty much everything forward of the rear of the cab.

I hadn't driven the 2L before a few months ago but when I did I was really surprised at how peppy and nice it was. I drove it in the 4xe (not sure I count this considering the electric motors) and a JLU and a JL. I have to say it's a great little engine and if the Pentastar works well in the JT I don't see why the 2L wouldn't.

I was biased against 4 cyl engines for a while because I drove non-turbo'd ones and they were weak and loud. So for my last car before my JT I made sure to get a 6cyl as well. I do like how "reliable" the Pentastar is but that also makes it underpowered for what it is. It does fine, but nothing better.

I loved the experience in the 2 door with the 2L so much that I've got an order in for 1 right now in Gobi :D More power AND better mileage? Yes please!
The only thing...when a JL or JT is coming down the road toward me, I have to wait until it gets to me to determine whether it is one or the other. Still waiting for my JT with the JL front on it ordered February 24. That's enough now.

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
I fully understand why the gladiator looks like it does . I'm disappointed that after 3 decade hiatus and the Gladiator name plate it doesn't look a bit different .

I'm not advocating for the 2.0 in a Gladiator either , my statement was that people should not under estate the 2.0 especially without driving one . This was in the JL platform . Just a topic of discussion not tied to the gladiator it's self . A 3rd engine pipe dream for the Gladiator would be the simple 5.7 for me .

Idk the ecoboost Fords seem to tow pretty well .... So does the baby turbo gm engine in the 1/2 tons . I will grant that the larger truck offers better cooling opportunity . Then there is the ranger . But I have no experience there with towing .
Did you even read your own post?

You clearly didn't understand why they did what they did and clearly did advocate for the 2.0.

OP
OP

JD101

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you even read your own post?

You clearly didn't understand why they did what they did and clearly did advocate for the 2.0.
Yes I am Advocating for the 2.0 with regard to the JL . I never said let's put it in a gladiator . I apologize if the context was not correctly conveyed . I also realize it could be confusing to folks on a Gladiator specific forum . Despite this I believe we are all here to learn from each other and our experiences , and I do not find it hard to believe that other folks here may be looking to purchase or already own a JL .To be clear I wanted to show the contrast between the 2.0 and 3.6 given my own personal experience having owned both . And I do not think either is a bad option .

I get the JL look for the Glad out of convenience and brand recognition . I feel like its adds a bit of ?confusion? to the gladiator name plate for anyone who can remember the old ones . I personally feel like for a truck that cost more than my first house ,and we waited 30yrs for I wish it had a bit more distinguishing features in and out . I still own one tho ....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
There was no Gladiator 3 decades ago... You have to go back to the 1960s to get a Gladiator...

OP
OP

JD101

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was referring loosely to a" jeep" truck in both time line and overall image . I realize they changed the "Gladiator " to the j truck 70s- 80s and there was the MJ also . But ya I really love that 60s iron . Thankfully they gave us what we have and not a rebranded ram 1500 .

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Proven to have a lawsuit 🤣🤷‍♂️
If there is a class action for this engine , the term proven needs to stop being thrown around. Sounds like it wasn't as good as everyone thinks it was
And has that suit been settled - win granted to the consumers?
Or is it like thousands of other such suits that happen every year - nothing?
Anyone can get a suit going, all if takes is some money and an attorney who likes to chase ambulances.
There are suits against Ford for some of their engines and transmissions,
There are suits against Chevrolet for Corvette valve guide defects, and....... gasp......... for V8 lifter issues!
There are dozens and dozens of suits against most auto makers. Some have merit, some don't.
Having a lawsuit going isn't proof of anything other than a pissed off customer.
How many times have we read here "I'm going to SUE!"

The 3.6 is proven - over a million of them, many have gone 200,000 miles or more.
Until something is proven via a lawsuit, and real numbers come out, I have to laugh when I see someone saying "it must be bad, there's a lawsuit."
And Dunkin Donuts has defective coffee, too - they are being sued over hot coffee.

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
And has that suite been settled - win granted to the consumers?
Or is it like thousands of other such suites that happen every year - nothing?
Anyone can get a suite going, all if takes is some money and an attorney who likes to chase ambulances.
There are suites against Ford for some of their engines and transmissions,
There are suites against Chevrolet for Corvette valve guide defects, and....... gasp......... for V8 lifter issues!
There are dozens and dozens of suites against most auto makers. Some have merit, some don't.
Having a law suite going isn't proof of anything other than a pissed off customer.
How many times have we ready here "I'm going to SUE!"

The 3.6 is proven - over a million of them, many have gone 200,000 miles or more.
Until something is proven via a lawsuite, and real numbers come out, I have to laugh when I see someone saying "it must be bad, there's a law suite."
And Dunkin Donuts has defective coffee, too - they are being sued over hot coffee.
I think it's "lawsuit" or "suit". The other is like a presidential suite.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's "lawsuit" or "suit". The other is like a presidential suite.
Oops - dam google........ keeps tossing words in before I've even completed two letters.
Opened it on this PC and it flagged things, the other device just filled in words for me.
Sponsored