Sponsored

We need to talk about the “Jeep Wave”

As a Gladiator owner, do you want to wave at Wranglers?

• Total voters

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Waves increase the farther you get out of the city. People are having fun and feeling good. But even in the city, Gladiators tend to wave at Gladiators.
Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I enjoy the wave thing so I do it unless I'm on the interstate where most Jeepers seem to give waving a rest. I don't really care if anybody waves back or not, but it's nice if they do. Sometimes I'm paying attention to something else - like road conditions - and I miss the other Jeep waving at me until too late. It doesn't matter because it's not supposed to be a pressure thing. It's an understanding we all have because of what we have in common. The exception is if my wife or kids drive my truck they're not used to it and they just don't get the whole wave thing. I told them they don't get to drive it unless they represent properly and wave at other Jeeps - Ha!

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
My two issues with the Jeep Wave.

1: I am a very focused driver, always looking 2-4 cars ahead, traffic patterns, where should I be lane wise in the next 1/2 mile, damn it! Sorry other Jeep guy I missed you.

2: One year and I have amassed 8756 miles on my JTR, main vehicle is a Ford Transit for work, do you know how many times I have almost waved at another Jeep while driving it?!?!? Wife even caught me one day, "You were going to wave to them weren't you?!"

Other wise I think its cool. No real issues with someone else not waving back here in CT.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Here in the NYC boroughs, a wave is responded with confusion or blatant disregard so I just gave up altogether.

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
I still do the wave on non-hwy roads, i.e. speeds less than 60 mph, so far getting about 60% responses either way from either side. Happy to make someone's day Haha!

Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Had a first this past Sunday.

I've noticed in certain areas, about as much as whether their Jeep is modified, a predominance shall we say of Jeepers who don't wave. Clermont FL is one example. Fast growing due to retiring northerners, but still has a lot of rural Florida influence, hence a lot of modified Jeeps. Mostly semi ragged-out JKs. Good luck getting a wave there.

I had spent a couple days recently on the south central East Coast, in and around Melbourne and noticed the same thing. Only one particular modified Wrangler kicked it up a notch. Sunday morning, I'm driving back from the pier. Beautiful weather with the top down. Had already gone through a few non-wavers, (by that I mean I had already passed a few Jeeps and no reciprocal waves,) but this guy that I gave a wave to looked right at me and emphatically shook his head no, lol!

No wave for you, pal!

Cracked me up. Must be one of his life's missions.

Newlife

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator rubicon
How can you tell unless their broad side or you’ve already passed them is my consensus. So yes I wave. Although yesterday I drove the 4Runner because I was worried I wouldn’t fit in a parking garage with the rhino rack on and I got some funny looks from the jeeple

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Just as an aside here, I drive a manual and as it often happens, I am shifting up or down as another fellow traveler approaches and it can be hard to steer, shift and wave. The best I can manage often is a solem nod of the head in respect.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Just as an aside here, I drive a manual and as it often happens, I am shifting up or down as another fellow traveler approaches and it can be hard to steer, shift and wave. The best I can manage often is a solem nod of the head in respect.
😔 solemn nod 😂. I drive a manual too and I do the same thing when I can’t reposition my left hand for the peace sign wave. #savethestick

skindata

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Assembly Technician
If they’re coming head on at you, it’s difficult to tell if it’s a JT or a JL so I just wave at all of them. Sometimes I wave first, other times they do but it’s just a silly friendly thing to do.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
😔 solemn nod 😂. I drive a manual too and I do the same thing when I can’t reposition my left hand for the peace sign wave. #savethestick
Think Babe, that'll do, pig.

CoachA

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
Marylander here. Had my Gladiator for 10 months. I live in a rural area and pretty much every JT and JK driver I encounter gives the wave. At first, I was confused. Once a friend explained it to me, I started reciprocating. Just as with waving at my neighbors when I or they drive past, I purposely look away so that I can't tell if I am ignored or not. That way, I am oblivious when I get dissed.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I’ll wave at either, but often it’s not returned up here in the northwest (no ducks, either.)
This past week I was in Milpitas, CA, and damn near every JT/JL waved at me! Caught me off guard…

Kevin
Sponsored

Last edited: