Sponsored

Can you build a better Jeep and save money by starting with a Sport S?

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
This has been a question on here for more than a year. I know its been talked about like a million times but I think I built a rig that has more capability dollar for dollar. The only thing left to do is get a low range box but rather than do that with a Rubicon swap (many of my parts are dealer added Rubicon part numbers), that part will probably be picked up through atlas transfer cases. What kind of mods did you guys do to make your sport a more capable rig?

-tewltalk

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Obviously you can build a Sport S on a time frame to be a better machine (for your wants) than a Rubicon, for less money depends on your wants. But if replacement time ever arises (it will) you will probably get a better return on a Rubicon than modded Sport S.

OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
I wanted to share in my approach to building a sport. Rubicon is awesome for sure but wanted to see what others are coming up with and share mine while we are at it.

Last edited:

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Brandon youā€™ve done an excellent job in helping us who own Sports modify for capabilities to match our needs. I for one just made my appointment to have an ARB front locker and compressor combo per your recommendation to my sport and really appreciate your information. The axle shop told me with this setup I could get effectively close to a Rubicons capabilityā€™s. I bought a sport because I couldnā€™t afford a Rubicon. This will add 2K to my build but still keep me under 40K total investment.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Obviously you can build a Sport S on a time frame to be a better machine (for your wants) than a Rubicon, for less money depends on your wants. But if replacement time ever arises (it will) you will probably get a better return on a Rubicon than modded Sport S.

This is simply not true and people use this statement all the time to justify purchasing the Rubicon.

Who goes out to buy a vehicle thinking about resale anyway? Honestly, that is not a smart approach if you are purchasing a quickly depreciating asset thinking that the one with all the bells and whistles will have a better resale value after you just paid top dollar for your purchase. You are saying this to justify a purchase and IMOP this is a false statement.

Jeep Wrangler and now the JT are a little different in the car world... yes.

EXAMPLE 1

people purchase the Rubicon for two reasons (basically)
- capable right out of the box for moderate trail use and adding lift and reasonable tire size increases that capability.
- OR They have to have top of the line. They may never take it off road but they like that ā€œRubiconā€ sticker. Trust me Iā€™ve had this conversation many times with the soccer mom Rubicon owner with the angry birds grill.

Ok, you are the soccer mom; Money spent on the new rubicon will command a higher price at resale than a sport. Yet, you paid a much higher price than the soccer mom that has a sport. Yes the sport owner is selling at a less dollar amount but probably an equal percentage return on their... investment šŸ¤® (for most people a vehicle is not an investment it IS a depreciating asset. This excludes the car collectors and even they could have done a better job investing in a real appreciating assets like real estate) my disclaimer on cars as investments ... šŸ¤®

EXAMPLE 2

- You purchase the Rubicon because you are going to use it off road and love everything Jeep but donā€™t want the hassle of making the Rubicon additions to a Sport. You pay the premium price and enjoy the rig as is OR start spending a bunch of money on mods. We all know that rabbit hole. This person probably isnā€™t thinking ā€œRESALE VALUEā€ at this point, they are thinking about how much fun they are going to have with their purchase.

- you buy a sport because you want to carefully select immediately or over time, the options that will enhance performance and you donā€™t want to pay the premium price for the Rubicon, though that hood sticker does look very nice, because you are going to replace every part that the Rubicon comes with.This person isnā€™t thinking resale value either.

Ok resale value time with Example 2, you want to take the easy route and trade your Rubicon that you heavily modified for off-road use. You are going to loose your ass $$$ but you had fun doing it.

Sport built rig as capapble or more capable than the Rubicon goes to trade it in and again is loosing their ass $$$ but had fun doing it.

A dealer doesnā€™t consider owner modifications on a trade typically. At least not at a rate of return for the investment šŸ¤®, you made in those mods. The rubicon owner may get more $$ at trade. Again itā€™s a percentage of return on purchase that is likely equal to the modified sport ownerā€™s ... investment... šŸ¤®

AND the dealer will turn around and realize their investment on your trade because they will charge more for modified Jeeps. This is purely because they can finance the next person that purchases either Jeep example.

Jeeps are just worth more Money at trade or resale in the used market than most vehicles.

If you bought the Rubicon because it has a ā€œhigher resale valueā€ you are just trying to justify your purchase to that devil on your shoulder that talked you into it. šŸ˜

Percentage wise you will probably realize the same return on ... investment... šŸ¤®

Please see Exhibit A

FB90CF85-B9E2-4095-91CC-98F0122CC2F2.png

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I donā€™t understand peopleā€™s fascination with this topic. I canā€™t tell if itā€™s little man syndrome or some weird pride to save 600 dollars.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
I donā€™t understand peopleā€™s fascination with this topic. I canā€™t tell if itā€™s little man syndrome or some weird pride to save 600 dollars.
Naahh

It's subgroups. Just like jl guys are different than jt guys. We fall into our niche. The question becomes who builds their jeep and who buys their jeep already built. Just different flavors for different types of people. This is really about sports but I can see how it might offend the Rubicon types.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Naahh

It's subgroups. Just like jl guys are different than jt guys. We fall into our niche. The question becomes who builds their jeep and who buys their jeep already built. Just different flavors for different types of people. This is really about sports but I can see how it might offend the Rubicon types.
You bought yours already built as well. And then you added to it.

Same as I did with a rubicon.

Hair splitting difference IMO.

Iā€™m not hating on your style here. I agree - do what you like. What Iā€™m onto is the comparative nature.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
Brandon youā€™ve done an excellent job in helping us who own Sports modify for capabilities to match our needs. I for one just made my appointment to have an ARB front locker and compressor combo per your recommendation to my sport and really appreciate your information. The axle shop told me with this setup I could get effectively close to a Rubicons capabilityā€™s. I bought a sport because I couldnā€™t afford a Rubicon. This will add 2K to my build but still keep me under 40K total investment.
Thank you, that is really what I was looking for. Someone who has built it like me.

You can do a lot and still be no where near the cost of other models. The purpose is to take a Jeep and make it your own. It's like giving a box of Legos to a kid. Each kid you give it to will build it their own. Its just nice to have the extra 10 Gs in your pocket that you would not have otherwise spent on frivolous things.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
You bought yours already built as well. And then you added to it.

Same as I did with a rubicon.

Hair splitting difference IMO.

Iā€™m not hating on your style here. I agree - do what you like. What Iā€™m onto is the comparative nature.
It's really not. I installed all the parts myself. I measured the axles and passed on the knowledge to others. Had custom stuff made. Built a community. Its more than just the comparing things. I love the rubicon but it's done in all these areas.
It's really the community and giving people options. I have also been around long enough to remember when Jeep didn't have a Rubicon option. It was build it. It was a learning curve. But that's just my perspective. I want to help those that won't have these Rubicon options stock. That is why my page on my youtube channel is "tewltalk -build what you got."

Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Kudos to the fellows that have the tools, knowledge and time to build their own Jeep. I enjoy watching all of the mechanical shows on tv, but really do not have the aptitude to do any major mechanical work.
I am wired for home repairs, but never picked up mechanical stuff

Tewi, how many hours do you think you have into building your Jeep.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
Kudos to the fellows that have the tools, knowledge and time to build their own Jeep. I enjoy watching all of the mechanical shows on tv, but really do not have the aptitude to do any major mechanical work.
I am wired for home repairs, but never picked up mechanical stuff

Tewi, how many hours do you think you have into building your Jeep.
It's not so much the hours into the jeep. It's the hours I have spent researching, editing, and making how to videos that adds up. I do that for darn near free. I wish I got paid for that. But to answer your question, on average a few hours a week, with month long hiatus in-between. My full time job is flying in the air force. I'm a pretty busy guy.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Yes absolutely, no question.

I started with an Overland to have the nicer interior and it was on huge discount compared to the Rubicon. It'll probably cost a little more than a nicely equipped Rubi when I'm done (or maybe not) but if you added a little to the Rubi to bring it to even with where I will end up it still wouldn't be close.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
It's really not. I installed all the parts myself. I measured the axles and passed on the knowledge to others. Had custom stuff made. Built a community. Its more than just the comparing things. I love the rubicon but it's done in all these areas.
It's really the community and giving people options. I have also been around long enough to remember when Jeep didn't have a Rubicon option. It was build it. It was a learning curve. But that's just my perspective. I want to help those that won't have these Rubicon options stock. That is why my page on my youtube channel is "tewltalk -build what you got."
I mean I appreciate the build...but you bought a truck built off of years of tech from previous models. Its highly advanced and built better, even in basic stock form, than any Jeep before it. You did, in fact, buy a built Jeep in that respect. Turns out there's just models that have a tad more. I realize you have done some great work. You wanted to start with your idea of base and grow from there....which is exactly what I have done. Only my idea of base is to start with the Rubicon and go from there. Just don't get why people compare it to the Rubicon VS stating "Bought a base model and built it, here's my vid"...yet people must compare it to the Rubicon for some reason.

I'm not here to shit on your thread, so I'll leave it at that.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Like most Sport owners, we donā€™t dislike Rubicons. As a matter of fact our modifications are to be like them but within budget. Iā€™m in a Jeep family surrounded by all Rubicons and Willys. Mine might be a FAUXICON, RUBINOT or RUBI-CON but the copying of an idea is the greatest form of flattery not indignation. I love Rubiā€™s, but in order to keep up with them on a shoestring budget, I must do it myself.
Jeep Gladiator Can you build a better Jeep and save money by starting with a Sport S? 243AA940-FCA0-4517-97AD-E959FDDC30A2

Besides, Iā€™ll also add when you only make 23K a year that 415.00 a month payment really makes a good pucker in the wallet holder. I do what I can, when I can.
Sponsored

Last edited: