Sponsored

Can you use a tailgate pad with a topper?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got a RSI Smartcap on order.
I recently saw a person transporting a mountain bike using a tailgate pad.

Is there enough vertical clearance to use a tailgate pad with a topper on your truck?

Thanks,
Don
Sponsored

cgm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon
i could do it on my Tacoma... I used a Dakine 4 bike pad that had a flat profile at the top of the gate. My cap was an are, the bottom couple of inches on the rear gate were flexible plastic. The plastic flexed a bit, but i never noticed any damage to the cap or rain inside the bed. edit: to clarify, fitment like this is only important if you want to leave the pad on for the season like i do... it would be a pain to re-strap the pad on every ride.

I am not sure what the rear gate looks like on the rsi cap.

As for using the bike pad and a camper shell... its great for a mountain bike or two. three is fine, you just need to be careful so they don't scratch when you squeeze them in. four gets real tricky. I think the most I have fit is 4 mtb and a bmx

Last edited:

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Absolutely. One trick if you're having questions or issues with clearance when loading them is to put them in the bed with the tailgate down, then raise the tailgate underneath them. Much less lifting that way, and less clearance issues.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I would be super careful or consider a different method of securing bikes in the JT. The outside of the Tailgate is aluminum and it dents super easy, unlike the inside of the bed, which is a durable steel. JMO

Last edited:

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
The outside of the Tailgate and bed is Aluminum and dents super easy, unlike the inside of the bed, which is a durable steel. JMO
The bed is all steel, inside & outside. The tailgate is aluminum.

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
The bed is all steel, inside & outside. The tailgate is aluminum.
My bad, that is what I meant and will edit my post. Main point, tailgate pads for bed are a bad idea. I've already been to the body shop to repair the outside panel of my JT for this.