Sponsored

CB Antenna in OEM Radio Location?

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
BTW - M5-20MM Pan head stainless screws make the install perfect. All I had was standard ones at home but am stopping to get some allen heads today.

Also the JK/JL/JT all use the same antenna cable connection. Its the white plastic one in the kit.
Sponsored

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
2 Questions as i installed mine on the JK yesterday.

1 - Did you have issues with the mount not tightening or antenna continuing to turn the mount ?

2 - Which antenna is that ? 2' or 3'

I only had a 4' at home and don't like it. I ordered a 3' last night but the more i look i think the 2' may be a better one to use for every day use.

I wish RR would sell just the bracket so i could use a better stud mount.
No issues with mounting. All is in place.

Mine is a 2’, but I haven’t yet tuned it for SWR to determine if it is an acceptable height. Aesthetically and physical functionality the 2’ is preferred as it is below the roofline to avoid hitting things.

Functionality of the radio itself is yet to be determined. I grounded the CB radio on the same stud I grounded the multiplexor from the kit and I have poor signal / feedback. Curious if I should change grounds, but I’ll tinker with that when I tune the antenna in the upcoming days.

Majority of my use will be communicating with fellow Jeepers that will more than likely be within eyeshot, so absolute premium signal strength wont be of the biggest concern. That said, I might as well make the most of it.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks. I just ordered a 2' and 3' firestick. Im same just on trails on interstate. Heard back from Rugged Ridge and they are going to send me a new mount.

Bandulu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Polar, 2020 JT Rubicon
Looks great. Need to order one for mine soon.
Is this the Rugged ridge base mount that comes with their kit? Did you order your own AM/FM/CB splitter to go with it as you indicated above? I thought the RR one came with a splitter. Sorry for the questions, Just don't know what I don't know...

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The Rugged Ridge comes with the AM/FM splitter and all parts except the antenna

Sponsored

KAExcaliber

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Occupation
Na
No issues with mounting. All is in place.

Mine is a 2’, but I haven’t yet tuned it for SWR to determine if it is an acceptable height. Aesthetically and physical functionality the 2’ is preferred as it is below the roofline to avoid hitting things.

Functionality of the radio itself is yet to be determined. I grounded the CB radio on the same stud I grounded the multiplexor from the kit and I have poor signal / feedback. Curious if I should change grounds, but I’ll tinker with that when I tune the antenna in the upcoming days.

Majority of my use will be communicating with fellow Jeepers that will more than likely be within eyeshot, so absolute premium signal strength wont be of the biggest concern. That said, I might as well make the most of it.
How's this 2ft holding up? I wanna pull the trigger on this but was curious to know how functional that fire stick length would be?

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have both a 2' and 3' firestick. I tried both. For me the 2' works 99% of the time. I basically listen on the highway and during some different jeep events. So far has not had an issue. I do have the 3' under the back seat if needed but the 2' seems to work well.

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran

wrangler311

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have this same kit on mine and it fits great and is compatible. Signal wise for fm radio is great. As for CB, I can’t get my SWR down. Super high. Think it is the ground.

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Veteran
I have this same kit on mine and it fits great and is compatible. Signal wise for fm radio is great. As for CB, I can’t get my SWR down. Super high. Think it is the ground.
On a JT?

Sponsored

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Veteran
Pulled the trigger and ordered mine.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I went a different direction. Two CoolTechLLC cowl mounts, and one Quadratec CB mount. So, I run the CB first, then GMRS, then, the light stick. Putting the light stick there is perfect, because the driver cannot see it when it is lite up. I have a spot on the molle panels in the bed where I can keep the antennas/light stick stored until I need them. I run the compact radios that I plug in when I need them, so, just a mic holder on the dash, and a hidden GMRS base unit -- the hand units are stored in the console.

Note: In my location, while 4wheeling, everyone is using GMRS, mostly just handhelds. I have not found one guy with just a CB, they will at least have a GMRS handheld. We also carry spare GMRS handhelds with us, so, CBs seem to be getting scarce.

Jeep Gladiator CB Antenna in OEM Radio Location? LRQAz3

And here is a pic with normal running - just the GMRS stubby 3db

vnXfl6.jpg

Last edited: