First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
As far as I know, the repeaters around me are privately funded, on private sites. I haven't been involved in repeaters for a while, but all the call signs come back to clubs. And I occasionally do microwave telecom work on mountain sites that have club repeaters on them (the signage is obvious). California is a "special" place. I'm sure their government hates the idea of unmonitored, self-sustaining citizen communications.

Digging further, Ca isnt going to provide funding for the repeaters on gov land aka forestry towers, Dept of Forestry is fighting it and I believe some of these are privately funded anyways.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
This is a good, balanced view on the whole topic of type certification and band usage on various hardware. It's only 13 minutes and he puts good info into it:

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
This is a good, balanced view on the whole topic of type certification and band usage on various hardware. It's only 13 minutes and he puts good info into it:
This is a good one. The guy in general running this channel has some good content. I just wish most of his videos were shorter and more focused like this one, lol.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
While it is a good presentation, it's not completely factual.

https://www.jpole-antenna.com/2018/08/13/baofeng-uv-5r-radios-illegal-the-real-story/

While the FCC isn't actively looking for people that are using these radios for purposes they are not certified for, if someone or a group of people are causing issues by operating illegally on a radio that is not certified for those bands and/or the operator is not licensed, they will. One thing you can be sure of is that the FCC is not going to let the GMRS, Business Bands, MURS and Amateur bands turn into another CB free for all like it was in the 70's & 80's. If it comes to that because of mass misuse of radios and frequencies by people, you can bet they will be looking to make examples.
Sponsored