Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
(Via Rubicon Trail Foundation FB Page)

We are very sorry to report a serious accident that occurred last night on the Rubicon trail.

A child was killed last night near Gatekeeper in a tragic accident. The sheriff was on the scene very quickly. A vehicle rolled over near Gatekeeper, and another vehicle in front stopped to assist. What we do know, is while kids were exiting the non-roll over vehicle, it was knocked out of gear and a child was run over. Please do NOT post any names or anything about it if you know them.

The child passed while in flight to the hospital.

This is a very serious reminder, being on the Rubicon is dangerous. Wear your seat belt, make sure your vehicle is secure before leaving the vehicle.

Everyone at the Rubicon Trail Foundation sends their deepest sympathy to the family.
GoFundMe link to donate to the family.

https://gofund.me/fdd4b3a6
Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
Tragic. From what it sounds like, it's a brief moment of wrong decision making that ended in tragedy.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
This story came across to me through a Facebook Rubicon Trail group I'm a part of.
Yes, extremely sad.

Everyone out wheeling needs to remember that as much fun as it can be, follow safety procedures.
Remind everyone in the vehicle to wear seat belts, use grab handles to keep limbs in vehicle at all times (especially when in a roll or pitch situation)
Do not have kids around the outside of vehicle when going over obstacles unless they are at a safe enough distance away from danger if bad happens.
Driver needs to be aware of all persons inside and outside of vehicle.

The list can go on and on, but at the end of the day anything can happen at any moment. I just try and be prepared the best I can.
Same when I was teaching my kids about firearm safety.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
This stuff makes me cry...you want to share your passions and hobbies with your little ones and when your out there doing it with them it's pure bliss. And then in a blink of an eye the exact opposite. I've always said I want to die with my boots on but never thought that by involving my kids that could extend to them also. What a sobering reminder of the priorities of life and how short and precious it is. May God comfort the families and friends of those affected by this horrible loss and may He keep us all safe as we continue to do what we love doing. 😢

Sponsored

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on 2023 Gladiator Diesel (long story)
Occupation
Flight Dispatcher / Aircraft Maintenance Engineer /
I think it is time for us to come together as Jeep owners and a Forum and help the family directly. Thoughts?

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I think it is time for us to come together as Jeep owners and a Forum and help the family directly. Thoughts?
The OP pointed out a Gofundme page, i don't know how we could contribute as a group on that?

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
It can happen anywhere. I almost hit my own kid once because I didn't know he had gotten out, went into the house and was running back to the truck. Someone was watching over us that day and we had a safety talk.

I feel horrible for them.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, what a tragedy. Thoughts and prayers are with the family for sure. Makes me sad to hear this.🙏🙏🙏

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I can't even fathom what that would do to me if I was in their shoes.

May God take the child into his arms and embrace them forever.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The guy rushed to get out of the jeep to help others and screwed up. I could not imagine the pain he is feeling now.

It can happen to any of us. We all screw up. Most of the time nobody gets hurt. Sometimes its pure dumb luck.

Its happened to me. I was waiting to take off at my home airport waiting for the aircraft on short final to land and clear the runway. The pilot got low and slow, pulled up, and stalled about 15 ft above the runway. It went in about 30 deg nose down at about 50 mph.

When it stopped one wing was bent up at 70 deg and fuel was pouring out of the ruptured tank. I shut off my ignition, jumped out of my plane and ran to the accident plane to pull people out. It never caught fire, and everyone was ok.

An hour later I went back to my plane to put it away and noticed that
1) the mixture was never pulled to cutoff (the correct way to shut down an airplane engine, not how I did it)
2) the parking brake wasn't set, the plane could have rolled away.
3) The avionics were still powered up. My battery was dead.

I cringed and thanked god for everyone's good fortune that day.

Last edited:

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
The guy rushed to get out of the jeep to help others and screwed up.

It can happen to any of us.

Its happened to me. I was waiting to take off at my home airport waiting for the aircraft on short final to land and clear the runway. The pilot got low and slow, pulled up, and stalled about 15 ft above the runway. It went in about 30 deg nose down at about 50 mph.

When it stopped one wing was bent up at 70 deg and fuel was pouring out of the ruptured tank. I shut off my ignition, jumped out of my plane and ran to the accident plane to pull people out. It never caught fire, and everyone was ok.

An hour later I went back to my plane to put it away and noticed that
1) the mixture was never pulled to cutoff (the correct way to shut down an airplane engine, not how I did it)
2) the parking brake wasn't set, the plane could have rolled away.
3) The avionics were still powered up. My battery was dead.

I cringed and thanked god for everyone's good fortune that day.
I am quite sure the Dad will forever feel the responsibility... However, harshness at this time is unwarranted and callous.
Sponsored