Sponsored

Bobby Blethen

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Just thought id share this, i'm sure there is a thread somewhere with this. Long winded ... here we go.

I got my 2020 sport last august, about 2 months after I started getting this severe shimmy/tremble/wobble coming from the front left of the vehicle when on the freeway in southern california going anything over 72 MPH. I could feel the shake coming up the steering shaft and through the steering wheel while shaking the rest of the car. To get it to stop I would have to pump the breaks and get the vehicle below 68MPH. Now, you would think with how crap the freeways are here that a wobble would come from going over the crack and crappy freeways and so did I. I finally took it in to the dealership because it was happening far too often and this didnt feel right.

I finally got ahold of my service tech and he let me know that there was severe tire oscillation caused by an issue with the steering damper. He said this is a well known issue by Chrysler. Never had a recall notice for this issue. I know i've seen others with this issue and lots of back and forth as I thought this may be the feared death wobble.

Thought this might be helpful to those still thinking "what the f**K is wrong with my damn gladiator" and how do I diagnose this.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Just thought id share this, i'm sure there is a thread somewhere with this. Long winded ... here we go.

I got my 2020 sport last august, about 2 months after I started getting this severe shimmy/tremble/wobble coming from the front left of the vehicle when on the freeway in southern california going anything over 72 MPH. I could feel the shake coming up the steering shaft and through the steering wheel while shaking the rest of the car. To get it to stop I would have to pump the breaks and get the vehicle below 68MPH. Now, you would think with how crap the freeways are here that a wobble would come from going over the crack and crappy freeways and so did I. I finally took it in to the dealership because it was happening far too often and this didnt feel right.

I finally got ahold of my service tech and he let me know that there was severe tire oscillation caused by an issue with the steering damper. He said this is a well known issue by Chrysler. Never had a recall notice for this issue. I know i've seen others with this issue and lots of back and forth as I thought this may be the feared death wobble.

Thought this might be helpful to those still thinking "what the f**K is wrong with my damn gladiator" and how do I diagnose this.
They actually determined a while ago that that wasn't the fix and started replacing the Steering boxes which is the fix. Thought most already knew that and the dealership definitely should of known that. Just replacing the steering stabilizer want fox the problem.

OP
OP
Bobby Blethen

Bobby Blethen

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They actually determined a while ago that that wasn't the fix and started replacing the Steering boxes which is the fix. Thought most already knew that and the dealership definitely should of known that. Just replacing the steering stabilizer want fox the problem.
well shit, looks like i'll be calling the service department tomorrow. appreciate the info

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I thought the box was the fix for the 'dead zone' and the Jeep updated stabilizer was the 'fix' for the wobble some can have. Separate issues, no?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the box was the fix for the 'dead zone' and the Jeep updated stabilizer was the 'fix' for the wobble some can have. Separate issues, no?
No, they thought the steering stabilizer was the issue and was just replacing them at first. Then they realized the Steering box was the issue after it didn't fix the issue.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Anyhow, @Bobby Blethen the stabilizer is only going to cover up an underlying issue. Wobble will never be induced by a bad stabilizer, the new stabilizer will only try to squash it.

You should check every bolt from wheels to drag link and control arms etc for torque spec. You should also check for play in any joints and ball joints. The stabilizer is only a band aid to tamp down the issue, but they did not fix the actual issue.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2019/08/10/jeep-death-wobble-fix/1969368001/

The stabilizer was for wobble, not dead spot. They maybe also hoped it would fix a dead spot issue some report, but it was in response to wobble reports that were getting media attention.
True but they were supposed to stop replacing the Steering Stabilizer once they learned about the steering box issues. They were replacing good steering Stabilizers at the time with the same stabilizer, not a different brand or type, it was literally the exact same model stabilizer.

OP
OP
Bobby Blethen

Bobby Blethen

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyhow, @Bobby Blethen the stabilizer is only going to cover up an underlying issue. Wobble will never be induced by a bad stabilizer, the new stabilizer will only try to squash it.

You should check every bolt from wheels to drag link and control arms etc for torque spec. You should also check for play in any joints and ball joints. The stabilizer is only a band aid to tamp down the issue, but they did not fix the actual issue.
rad, appreciate it

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
True but they were supposed to stop replacing the Steering Stabilizer once they learned about the steering box issues. They were replacing good steering Stabilizers at the time with the same stabilizer, not a different brand or type, it was literally the exact same model stabilizer.
Interesting, I did not know they stopped the stabilizer recall when they added the steering box recall. Did they think the steering box being soft was the source of wobble?

The new stabilizer is a different part number. Maybe just to track new vs old, maybe something different inside, idk what's actually different, if anything.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting, I did not know they stopped the stabilizer recall when they added the steering box recall. Did they think the steering box being soft was the source of wobble?

The new stabilizer is a different part number. Maybe just to track new vs old, maybe something different inside, idk what's actually different, if anything.
I'm not sure totally, just going by what they told me at Hendricks, they mentioned the Steering Stabilizer back in October when I said something about the steering box on mine. Service guy came back and said it's saying to skip the SS and do the steering box and made notes in on my account. I just had the steering box replaced on mine and got my jeep back yesterday. It did make a difference for sure. I wasn't going to let them just replace the SS anyway and I wasn't planning on doing the steering box either at the time but I figured at my oil change in January to just go ahead and have it done.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I cannot see how a steering stabilizer could possibly cause the problem the OP described, IMO the issue is not enough caster, dealer won’t do it but for $120 you can replace the LCA with the ones from the Mopar 2” lift which will increase caster and should help eliminate the problem.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I cannot see how a steering stabilizer could possibly cause the problem the OP described, IMO the issue is not enough caster, dealer won’t do it but for $120 you can replace the LCA with the ones from the Mopar 2” lift which will increase caster and should help eliminate the problem.
Better off with a set of adjustable ones so you can dial in whatever caster you want, but yes the caster is rather bad from factory.

OP
OP
Bobby Blethen

Bobby Blethen

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heres an update ... its now also the front differential. Ive brought up everything to the service tech and he says they don't see any issue with the box. hoping this is a one time issue but seems like this may be a longer process and too many trips back to the dealership if these are all known issue or common issues.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Heres an update ... its now also the front differential. Ive brought up everything to the service tech and he says they don't see any issue with the box. hoping this is a one time issue but seems like this may be a longer process and too many trips back to the dealership if these are all known issue or common issues.
Go back and mention the TSB and also get @JeepCares involved,message them on here. If you mention the TSB on the steering box they are supposed to do it based on a list of questions, my dealership never even looked at mine. They gave me a list, asked me if it was doing anything on the list,.I said yeah, they ordered the part. Good luck buddy, hopefully they get it worked out
Sponsored