Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
One case of a member here looks like it was due to assembly errors. VVL not working properly and then disassembly revealed there were exhaust lifters in the intake side.
Sponsored

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
There are 2 part#s of rocker arms. The 5047896AD design has been used in every 3.6 engine made. While they have updated the part# due to supplier / small updates it is the same part. My company has had over 600 Caravans since 2010. Many have gone well over 200k [256k was the winner]. Most only had cams and lifters replaced at the 100k mark for wearing of the camshafts. It was this deciding factor for me even buying my Gladiator. I look at it as maintenance that at 80k or so I will do it regardless of need. Automotive manufacturers have engineered short lives into all vehicles. Even the Chevy LS small block has a cheaper valve train design that breaks under warranty! We have over 500 Ford flex/ transit connects with the same 4 cylinder engine that has a badly engineered water pump that requires the timing belt be replaced when it breaks [which it does... often! some have 65k with their 3rd pump!]

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There are 2 part#s of rocker arms. The 5047896AD design has been used in every 3.6 engine made. While they have updated the part# due to supplier / small updates it is the same part. My company has had over 600 Caravans since 2010. Many have gone well over 200k [256k was the winner]. Most only had cams and lifters replaced at the 100k mark for wearing of the camshafts. It was this deciding factor for me even buying my Gladiator. I look at it as maintenance that at 80k or so I will do it regardless of need. Automotive manufacturers have engineered short lives into all vehicles. Even the Chevy LS small block has a cheaper valve train design that breaks under warranty! We have over 500 Ford flex/ transit connects with the same 4 cylinder engine that has a badly engineered water pump that requires the timing belt be replaced when it breaks [which it does... often! some have 65k with their 3rd pump!]
And yet those same LS parts are used in high RPM racing and there's even guys who have adapted things to be able to use the LS rockers on AMC heads for use on the 401 in racing. It may happen, but I have yet to see LS engines lose valve train parts.

I'm trying to keep up here - you are saying that this same rocker arm - shown for the VVL with the side rollers - has been used on every 3.6 - even those without VVL prior to the 2016 model year? This same rocker design and all they did was add the rollers on the sides for the other lift profile.
There weren't other changes, it's the same oiling, same passages, same sides, same center, they basically just added the rollers on the side.
And the lifters are the same...........

They did change oiling - a lot - to add the solenoids to handle which lift profile is being used and apparently it's that system that is the problem with these.

Jeep Gladiator Class action lawsuit against fca 1646924803295

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Well, my Gladiator isn't on there but I did own a V6 Ram Rebel. I'll try and get some cash

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Well, my Gladiator isn't on there but I did own a V6 Ram Rebel. I'll try and get some cash
From who? There isn't even a judgement against anyone, let alone talks of forms of compensation or identification of those actually affected by the suit.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
From who? There isn't even a judgement against anyone, let alone talks of forms of compensation or identification of those actually affected by the suit.
You've never played this class action game before?

Usually there's a settlement, and you'll get a couple bucks simply for owning one of these engines before.

You're acting like this is far fetched

Suburban Mojave

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
So I own 2021 mojave and it has a pretty noticeable tick at start up but does diminish as it warms up.
check oil frequently to look for metal shavings, so far none @ 5k miles.
Was hesitant to take to dealer for the old cant replicate noise good times.
should I go that route or drive it till It potential fails?
was built 9-21

Sponsored

snowbear

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Honda CRV
Occupation
GIS Analyst
I was in a class action once, something about a chain store (Sears or Montgomery Wards) mail order or some other pricing thing. The settlement might have bought a quart of oil (back then). I just decline any other offers.

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
And yet those same LS parts are used in high RPM racing and there's even guys who have adapted things to be able to use the LS rockers on AMC heads for use on the 401 in racing. It may happen, but I have yet to see LS engines lose valve train parts.

I'm talking about the stock parts they put in the Caddy Escalades 2020 model year. Every one of the 20 in my fleet was rebuilt under warranty before 40k

I'm trying to keep up here - you are saying that this same rocker arm - shown for the VVL with the side rollers - has been used on every 3.6 - even those without VVL prior to the 2016 model year? This same rocker design and all they did was add the rollers on the sides for the other lift profile.
There weren't other changes, it's the same oiling, same passages, same sides, same center, they basically just added the rollers on the side.
And the lifters are the same...........

They did change oiling - a lot - to add the solenoids to handle which lift profile is being used and apparently it's that system that is the problem with these.

The exhaust camshaft rockers and lifters are different the intake part# is the same part from the beginning just with supersessions - AA, AB, AC ,AD till we hit the AH that is the current part#. That rocker arm is used for both intake and exhaust on the older non ESS engines

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
So I own 2021 mojave and it has a pretty noticeable tick at start up but does diminish as it warms up.
was built 9-21
I would get an oil analysis done and look at the iron levels. If they’re around the 12-15ppm, you’re looking good. If you’re around the 40+ ppm like I was, then you’re not good like what I found when my 3.6 misfired. You have the same build date as me, pull an oil sample of your auto transmission, if that is what you have to see if your tranny has glycol contamination like mine did.

OP
OP
glassjawkid32

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
was built 9-21
Mine does the same but it seems the part that caused the old tick has been updated to a different design. I'm taking mine in, in a couple weeks. I'll try to remember and keep you posted. I took a video of the sound so I can show them when I drop it off.

Suburban Mojave

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Thanks for the advice.
was thinking about getting oil changed soon,will bring it up to service manager @ my dealership.
They are actually pretty good.
Appreciate the reponse.
:like:
Sponsored