Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Fluttering is vague description, but familiar. There is. Ot much the dealership can do besides reset the adaptive learning and recalibrate the throttle, or possibly replace it. The engine is running fine, the throttle can get twitchy AR over active if you do a fair bit of low speed driving. It unfortunately is how it is designed. The model does not deal with small throttle inputs over time well. If Hou wNt to verify this is what is happening sit in park idling and try to slowly Rev the engine from idle to 3000 rpm in 200 rpm increments. If it keeps falling in rpm even though you have not let off the pedal, or it oscillates up and down, then you throttle model has learned itself into an unstable behavior at small throttle openings. This creates a flutter effect at load.
I have seen that on mine, but only a couple of times. I rarely feather the throttle, except when parking my car hauler, then I have to be very careful and deliberate as it's close quarters and tight turns back there.

Mine is insanely quiet now compared to before. I also used the JSCAN to clean cam phasers a few times after my camshaft swap. It seems to keep getting quieter as time goes on. Im using the Royal Purple 5w-30 with zinc added. That was what was on the shelf at the time, but seems to be doing good for now.
Be careful with zinc........... too much can mess with things, and with good quality high PSI oils, it's really not needed except for old-skool high lift cams with heavy spring pressures.
I run standard modern oils even in my car built for racing, and my slightly built 4.0 with Comp xtreme 4x4 cam. No additives, no high zddp numbers. The old farts still swear by needing massive zddp numbers, but they won't be dragged into the 2020s even kicking and screaming no matter the numbers toss at them. LOL
Sponsored

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Mine is insanely quiet now compared to before. I also used the JSCAN to clean cam phasers a few times after my camshaft swap. It seems to keep getting quieter as time goes on. Im using the Royal Purple 5w-30 with zinc added. That was what was on the shelf at the time, but seems to be doing good for now.
Does the cam phaser cleaner on jscan really work? You think it made a difference? I’m scared to try it

shanesibley

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR Gator
Occupation
Military
I have seen that on mine, but only a couple of times. I rarely feather the throttle, except when parking my car hauler, then I have to be very careful and deliberate as it's close quarters and tight turns back there.

Be careful with zinc........... too much can mess with things, and with good quality high PSI oils, it's really not needed except for old-skool high lift cams with heavy spring pressures.
I run standard modern oils even in my car built for racing, and my slightly built 4.0 with Comp xtreme 4x4 cam. No additives, no high zddp numbers. The old farts still swear by needing massive zddp numbers, but they won't be dragged into the 2020s even kicking and screaming no matter the numbers toss at them. LOL
Honestly, that was the only oil they had at the time in a 5w-30. Plus, it is not staying in there long. I am still doing rapid oil changes post cam swap. I figured it wouldnt hurt to try it.

shanesibley

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR Gator
Occupation
Military
Does the cam phaser cleaner on jscan really work? You think it made a difference? I’m scared to try it
It really works. I do it a couple times every time I change the oil. Sometimes, I do it for shitz and gigz. I havent had any issues, yet. You just have to hold the RPM up a little to keep it from stallling when as it goes through the range.

Sponsored

shanesibley

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR Gator
Occupation
Military
I'm no lawyer, how do we get momentum on this class action suit? I wouldn't mind Jeep dropping me a fresh engine or something.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Well I have 6 pictures of proof the 2020 gladiators were assembled incorrectly. The pictures are of 6 different vehicles. Though hindsight 20/20 probably needed a Vin and date in those pics. Rhe pics are just guys asking are these wrong.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I have done it once on my 2020 Gladiator. Could not really tell if it did anything.

Just be warned the first time you do it, it thrashes the phaser when running for like 15 seconds and you will think your top end is coming apart. IIRC, it is four test events, one for each side intake and exhaust phaser.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Well I have 6 pictures of proof the 2020 gladiators were assembled incorrectly. The pictures are of 6 different vehicles. Though hindsight 20/20 probably needed a Vin and date in those pics. Rhe pics are just guys asking are these wrong.
Pictures likely taken with a digital camera which will automatically add the date in the metadata (EXIF data).

On your computer, right click on the image file, select 'properties' and then click the 'Details' page. Will have all the relevant info there, save for the VIN - which should be easy enough to obtain if you can contact the owner.

OP
OP
glassjawkid32

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Pictures likely taken with a digital camera which will automatically add the date in the metadata (EXIF data).

On your computer, right click on the image file, select 'properties' and then click the 'Details' page. Will have all the relevant info there, save for the VIN - which should be easy enough to obtain if you can contact the owner.
I think he's referring to build dates.

Sponsored

OP
OP
glassjawkid32

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Can you share said pictures so we have some firing power when trying to get it fixed?

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
FCA/Stellanis celebrated 10 million pentastar engines sold as of 2021.

So even if theres a 1% failure rate thats pretty good all things considered.

Wish they would be more transparent with us.

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I've seen many vehicles with the pentastar 3.6 that have held up really well. I used to have a '13 grand caravan i put 120k miles on it with absolutely 0 issues - just oil changes, brakes, tires and thats it. I talked to a guy at the dealership that was trading in his ram tradesmen with 250k on it all original (with the pentasar) - he was trying to get another Ram with the pentastar specifically. IMO these engines are far better than the 2GR in the new tacoma (that burn oil regularly, throw timing chains etc).

Fortus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I've seen many vehicles with the pentastar 3.6 that have held up really well. I used to have a '13 grand caravan i put 120k miles on it with absolutely 0 issues - just oil changes, brakes, tires and thats it. I talked to a guy at the dealership that was trading in his ram tradesmen with 250k on it all original (with the pentasar) - he was trying to get another Ram with the pentastar specifically. IMO these engines are far better than the 2GR in the new tacoma (that burn oil regularly, throw timing chains etc).
I came from a 3rd gen Tacoma and I find the JT's drivetrain to be far better.
Sponsored