Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I appreciate you're reply, and your position.... we should clarify the use of the word cheaper, did you mean less expensive or lower quality?

Sure there are both out there.... pretty sure, as a fabricator, we are all getting the same imported steel most likely, you, metalcloak, Rustys, even me for my projects.... I'm currently comparing your 3300 kit to Rustys 1800 kit, I know where his springs come from, name brand maker, not sure about anyone else's because they house brand, I know rustys had diesel specific springs long before anyone else did, (let's not even discuss the lack of diesel shock valving) ... so where am I seeing an advantage of yours over theirs for an additional 1500.00, the price of a decent set of shocks? Is it customer service? Is so how often will your lift require me to contact you? Is it warranty? If so rustys has the same warranty, will I be replacing your components more often?

Just looking to be educated, 1500 is a chunk of change to ask for.....
Screenshot_20221216_100656_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221216_073802_Chrome.jpg
I can see SO many differences in just those pics you just shared that make the choice easy for me.

It's your truck and your money........I honestly think you should buy what makes you happy. This is the great thing about the number of choices we have to choose from.
Sponsored

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It's your truck and your money........I honestly think you should buy what makes you happy. Thgis is the great thing about the number of choices we have to choose from.
Agreed, just don’t bash Clayton on here having never used one of their products.

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
It's your truck and your money........I honestly think you should buy what makes you happy. Thgis is the great thing about the number of choices we have to choose from.
I need to be sold on a product before I plop down cash.... I wish they would all be a little more detailed, no one really lists tube sizes, wall thickness, or if the components are solid or hollow, God forbid overall kit weight is known for vehicles that are sensitive to additional weight being added...

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I need to be sold on a product before I plop down cash.... I wish they would all be a little more detailed, no one really lists tube sizes, wall thickness, or if the components are solid or hollow, God forbid overall kit weight is known for vehicles that are sensitive to additional weight being added...
Sorry I edited my post while you were replying. Wasn't trying to sneak anything in there.......

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What about the sway bar links? Heims and rod ends vs. hourglass bushings? Small difference, but a costly one that adds a little performance? Rear brake hoses? Bump stops spacers?

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Ya can't go there.... depending on the kit you got and the config of your rig new, you could easily be 10% of the rig price in ust the lift without even adding in tires.. too crazy for me.... still stuck on rustys myself
Did you read the Rusty's reviews and BBB replies I posted in another thread you had?

Have you ever used anything from Rusty's?

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did you read the Rusty's reviews and BBB replies I posted in another thread you had?

I don't consider BBB to be an accurate condition of a business unless there's a bunch of complaints.

My business has a rating of "NR" and all of the info is inacurate becuase I won't pay them the annual extortion fees.........

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum

Yes I did, and I noticed the customer service complaints centered around covid time period, I discount all of those from any company because getting people into work was a nightmare for the best and the worst company out there.... I also noted there was not comparative data from other companies, not saying clayton had even a single complaint, but not seeing a link for the others makes me wonder....

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
I don't consider BBB to be an accurate condition of a business unless there's a bunch of complaints.

My business has a rating of "NR" and all of the info is inacurate becuase I won't pay them the annual extortion fees.........
Been down the same road with a business I used to own with the BBB and CoC for that same reason....

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter

Been down the same road with a business I used to own with the BBB and CoC for that same reason....
I'm not talking about their BBB rating or condition.

I'm talking about the replies from Rusty's on BBB.

Would either of you respond to customers like Rusty's did on BBB?

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Yes I did, and I noticed the customer service complaints centered around covid time period, I discount all of those from any company because getting people into work was a nightmare for the best and the worst company out there.... I also noted there was not comparative data from other companies, not saying clayton had even a single complaint, but not seeing a link for the others makes me wonder....
That's fair.

Have you ever used Rusty's products? I'm guessing no.

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
That's fair.

Have you ever used Rusty's products? I'm guessing no.
Not to be a smart ass, but what would you guess about Clayton, metalcloak, icon, or any other top name lift..

Put a skyjacker 4" on the wife JLURD and with the exception of a sagging rear spring it's gotten here through several honor trails like John Bull... would I use it again, not likely, but that's a shock issue

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not to be a smart ass, but what would you guess about Clayton, metalcloak, icon, or any other top name lift..

Put a skyjacker 4" on the wife JLURD and with the exception of a sagging rear spring it's gotten here through several honor trails like John Bull... would I use it again, not likely, but that's a shock issue
Yes, they will all get you though the trail....... If you can't tell the difference in performance with the bottom to the top tier componants, I'd suggest you just buy a cheapest lift you can get that will get the job done.

My analogy that I tell my clients is this:

1) T*co B*ll makes a burrito at an affordable price, no waiting at the drive thru, and open 24 hours at many locations, and will keep you alive for another day (assuming you don't get sick). If those are your goals.....Have at it.

2) My local family owned Mexican restaurant sells a burrito that cost 2.5X the T*co B*ll price, but comes with beans and rice on a plate, tastes WAY BETTER, provides climate controlled accommodations, free water, and brings it to the table while I wait........I prefer this burrito over the cheaper offering, feel the value is better, and I can afford/justify the higher quality because it makes me smile and feel good. The downside is you have to wait for it and the shorter hours of operation. Another plus is that we aren't giving our money directly to the machine......

If a person had Covid and lost their sense of taste or otherwise can't tell the difference......Get the cheaper option?

The issue I see is (my perception, could be wrong though) your tone of voice here? You want a diesel specific spring and shock that will provide you with a top tier ride/drive for lower tier pricing? Like I told you in the other thread....Adjust your budget or expectations?

Last edited:

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
What about the sway bar links? Heims and rod ends vs. hourglass bushings? Small difference, but a costly one that adds a little performance? Rear brake hoses? Bump stops spacers?
Ok, I'll concede there is a cost and spot ya 500 out of the 1500 difference
Yes, they will all get you though the trail....... If you can't tell the difference in performance with the bottom to the top tier componants, I'd suggest you just buy a cheapest lift you can get that will get the job done.

My analogy that I tell my clients is this:

1) T*co B*ll makes a burrito at an affordable price, no waiting at the drive thru, and open 24 hours at many locations, and will keep you alive for another day (assuming you don't get sick). If those are your goals.....Have at it.

2) My local family owned Mexican restaurant sells a burrito that cost 2.5X the T*co B*ll price, but comes with beans and rice on a plate, tastes WAY BETTER, provides climate controlled accommodations, free water, and brings it to the table while I wait........I prefer this burrito over the cheaper offering, feel the value is better, and I can afford/justify the higher quality because it makes me smile and feel good. The downside is you have to wait for it and the shorter hours of operation. Another plus is that we aren't giving our money directly to the machine......

If a person had Covid and lost their sense of taste or otherwise can't tell the difference......Get the cheaper option?

The issue I see here is (my perception, could be wrong though) your tone of voice here? You want a diesel specific spring and shock that will provide you with a top tier ride/drive for lower tier pricing? Like I told you in the other thread....Adjust your budget or expectations?
You're analogy may be valid for the top vs the bottom, metalcloak vs rough country, but you openly admit you supply additional components/expericance with the latter vs taco bell (you know you've rung the bell at 1am before)

I am not including shocks in the comparison, so please don't side track us on that...(even worse when it comes to diesel vs gas)
Its not about adjusting my budget, I can afford your restaurant, doesn't mean I want to pay taco bell the same because I can afford you.... unless I know why one lift is better than another I can't justify why I should pay more for it..... talk to me about the arms, explain why Clayton arms are better, why thier springs are better.... outside of the BBB complaints I hear good things about rustys...

People have a known tendency to defend what they chose spend money on, doesn't mean it was a good value, just a trait of human nature to justify choices we make... wagercthe top defenders of a specific componant actually use that componant, I'd bet that a metalcloak user isn't here saying how Clayton is better.... just human nature
Sponsored