Sponsored

Clayton Offroad Overland Lift Kit

Cobblecrazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I realize I could post a lift kit question in another section of the forum, but since my question is specific to the diesel Gladiator I wanted to put it here.

I have been looking at several options to do a moderate lift kit onto my EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon - specifically around the 2-2.5" variety. While price is not the main thing I consider, as with anything, it could be the deciding factor when choosing one of two equally constructed units, and my hope is to only have to buy once (dare to dream...).

I think I've listed it on prior posts, but my build is fairly basic for backcountry travel and camping. I have a stubby front bumper and winch on the front, and an ARE shell and Decked system in the back. Yakima parts and pieces help transport items related to backpacking, cycling, and trail running. Tires are the stock Wildpeak M/T's, but the plan is to move up to a 35" tire when I figure out where I'm going with the suspension.

My first thought was the Mopar 2" lift kit as it has received favorable reviews (and results) at a reasonable price. I would have like to see them include at least an adjustable front and rear track bar in that kit, but they are easily acquired. My only reservation was the original Rubicon suspension has seemed to be slightly on the under sprung/soft side, and I was concerned this might be the case with their kit as well.

In my search I found several YouTube videos which mentioned using the Clayton Off-road parts. I looked on their website, and I found a listing for a 2.5" "Overland" lift kit which seemed to be fairly all inclusive (shocks are extra). They also have items for 3.5" lifts, and some that go up to 4.5", but I'm specifically interested in the 2.5" version.

I have reached out to Clayton Offroad, and they do not have a diesel specific kit, but they said there have been people using their kits on the diesel with good results (if I recall correctly on YouTube Casey250 is using their stuff on his EcoDiesel JL). I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this company and their products on the diesel Gladiator.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Unkle Luk

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD; 2013 JKR
Occupation
Construction Engineer
I realize I could post a lift kit question in another section of the forum, but since my question is specific to the diesel Gladiator I wanted to put it here.

I have been looking at several options to do a moderate lift kit onto my EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon - specifically around the 2-2.5" variety. While price is not the main thing I consider, as with anything, it could be the deciding factor when choosing one of two equally constructed units, and my hope is to only have to buy once (dare to dream...).

I think I've listed it on prior posts, but my build is fairly basic for backcountry travel and camping. I have a stubby front bumper and winch on the front, and an ARE shell and Decked system in the back. Yakima parts and pieces help transport items related to backpacking, cycling, and trail running. Tires are the stock Wildpeak M/T's, but the plan is to move up to a 35" tire when I figure out where I'm going with the suspension.

My first thought was the Mopar 2" lift kit as it has received favorable reviews (and results) at a reasonable price. I would have like to see them include at least an adjustable front and rear track bar in that kit, but they are easily acquired. My only reservation was the original Rubicon suspension has seemed to be slightly on the under sprung/soft side, and I was concerned this might be the case with their kit as well.

In my search I found several YouTube videos which mentioned using the Clayton Off-road parts. I looked on their website, and I found a listing for a 2.5" "Overland" lift kit which seemed to be fairly all inclusive (shocks are extra). They also have items for 3.5" lifts, and some that go up to 4.5", but I'm specifically interested in the 2.5" version.

I have reached out to Clayton Offroad, and they do not have a diesel specific kit, but they said there have been people using their kits on the diesel with good results (if I recall correctly on YouTube Casey250 is using their stuff on his EcoDiesel JL). I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this company and their products on the diesel Gladiator.

Thanks.
I am running the Overland 3.5” kit with fox shocks and have been extremely happy with it so far. Their parts are beefy and well built, and there customer service was great. Gained a ton of clearance and the ride is great.

Last edited:

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks.
Yes-- I have a JTR diesel with the Overland Plus kit and Fox shocks-- running the 3.5" springs up front for the additional weight of the engine and stock 1 3/4" rake. Need to run a adjustable steering stabilizer up front and I highly rec the AEV geometry correction brackets which improve on-road manners... this setup and the right load rated tire (rec C's) and 32 lbs of tire pressure, the ride is like butter! I'm also running Method Bead Grip wheels (which are VERY light/26 lbs). Tires are currently Goodyear Duratracs (315/70R-17s). Going up to 37s tomorrow-- BFG TA KO2s (37 x 12.50 x 17), C2 load rating

OP
OP

Cobblecrazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes-- I have a JTR diesel with the Overland Plus kit and Fox shocks-- running the 3.5" springs up front for the additional weight of the engine and stock 1 3/4" rake. Need to run a adjustable steering stabilizer up front and I highly rec the AEV geometry correction brackets which improve on-road manners... this setup and the right load rated tire (rec C's) and 32 lbs of tire pressure, the ride is like butter! I'm also running Method Bead Grip wheels (which are VERY light/26 lbs). Tires are currently Goodyear Duratracs (315/70R-17s). Going up to 37s tomorrow-- BFG TA KO2s (37 x 12.50 x 17), C2 load rating
Thanks for the reply. I upgraded to the Fox through shaft steering stabilizer almost immediately, and I noticed a difference over stock. I went to the Black Rhino Kelso wheels with a zero offset, setting the tires about an inch or so out of the wheel well. I think the wider stance gave me a little more stability as well. I've had the Goodyear Duratracs on several vehicles. I would say they were one of the best AT style in almost all conditions, and their longevity was almost unmatched for a similarly aggressive tread. I've been going back and forth on the 35x12.5 or the 315x70. The tire height is almost exactly the same on the brands I've considered with the 315x70 being slightly narrower (but wider than the stock 285x70). In my experience sometimes the C rated tires - in certain configurations - can have a little over flex when aired up and loaded (I run pretty much a constant load) so I've tended toward the D, or E, rated ones. The downside certainly can be the sidewall tends to be a little stiffer with these ratings making airing down a little more of trial and error. I like the BFG's, but I've found them to be on the lower side of tread depth, and several pairs I've had in the past suffered a little with treadwear. I'm really interested in the new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T. Mountain snowflake rated and 55,000 mile warranty with a pretty nice looking tread pattern. Someone I know (who has done gear/tire reviews for the last 20 years) has a pair and raves about them.

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply. I upgraded to the Fox through shaft steering stabilizer almost immediately, and I noticed a difference over stock. I went to the Black Rhino Kelso wheels with a zero offset, setting the tires about an inch or so out of the wheel well. I think the wider stance gave me a little more stability as well. I've had the Goodyear Duratracs on several vehicles. I would say they were one of the best AT style in almost all conditions, and their longevity was almost unmatched for a similarly aggressive tread. I've been going back and forth on the 35x12.5 or the 315x70. The tire height is almost exactly the same on the brands I've considered with the 315x70 being slightly narrower (but wider than the stock 285x70). In my experience sometimes the C rated tires - in certain configurations - can have a little over flex when aired up and loaded (I run pretty much a constant load) so I've tended toward the D, or E, rated ones. The downside certainly can be the sidewall tends to be a little stiffer with these ratings making airing down a little more of trial and error. I like the BFG's, but I've found them to be on the lower side of tread depth, and several pairs I've had in the past suffered a little with treadwear. I'm really interested in the new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T. Mountain snowflake rated and 55,000 mile warranty with a pretty nice looking tread pattern. Someone I know (who has done gear/tire reviews for the last 20 years) has a pair and raves about them.
Running new BFG TA KO2s, 37 x 12.50 x 17-- put them on today and even though I really liked the Duratracs, I LOVE the new BFGs, they are quieter, smoother and more stable (load Cs)...

Sponsored

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer

Thanks.
Running 2.5" Clayton Overland+ and could not be happier. 37's clear and the flex is good. A great combo for the JT. Things have come a long way from back in the day.

jnack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTD
i have their 3.5" overland plus kit, very happy with it. they're a great company to work with and would highly recommend them. since they don't have diesel front springs i went with rusty's 4" springs in the front and since the rear is loaded out often for overland trips I added a 3/4" spacer to the 3.5" spring which gives me a very slight rake with a nearly empty bed (have RSI cap all the time) and level when loaded out

LetzGoState

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I do not have the Diesel, but I did install a Clayton 2.5 Overland in my driveway over two days.
Would have been one day, but the Falcon 3.5 eADJUST wiring took a while.
I felt the kit was robust and worth the money.
I got a solid 2.5 over my old Rubicon set up...even with my winch and mopar steel bumper. I am running 35s on a sport s.
I just wheeled it on Friday. Felt it had great articulation. I will be relocating some brake lines and adding longer lines.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
100% agree on this. I have seen this EXACT set up. I have a buddy on here that has a gasser with 37s and 5.13. He is trussed, upgraded knuckles etc as well and does it all. Solid DD, tows great and wheels like a beast. With a diesel you should not have to regear. He is the reason I went Clayton.

Running 2.5" Clayton Overland+ and could not be happier. 37's clear and the flex is good. A great combo for the JT. Things have come a long way from back in the day.

LetzGoState

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, 3.5" looks up there with 35s.
And no steps!
I've got the rock slide engineering steps on the way. Just ordered yesterday. I know it's a bit off in proportions and really could use some 37s. Just not practical for me. I'm a Realtor and drive too much. I came from a 2.5" Clayton overland on a totaled JLUR which I loved. I felt I needed that extra inch for break over. I live where that extra inch can make the difference with snow. I actually loathed the gladiator when it came out, it has grown on me and I love it. This set up works so well--but the 5 year old, 2 year old, and 5'3" wife, need some steps lol.

LetzGoState

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not have the Diesel, but I did install a Clayton 2.5 Overland in my driveway over two days.
Would have been one day, but the Falcon 3.5 eADJUST wiring took a while.
I don't really know anyone that has these shocks, nor did they have them available for the diesel last time I looked, but what are your thoughts on this? Gimmick? Worthwhile? Seems like such a neat idea to be able to dial things in on the shocks from the cab, but wondering if they are as great as they seem, and if you have had any issues with them.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
I have run them one week. They wheel pretty good. Granted I did not do anything hardcore due to the snow we have. I have them set to the softest setting. Then I can flip from soft to firm on my A pillar. (see pic) I feel spoiled now. Racing around I can have firm. Train tracks? Soft. Hard corner? Firm. Potholes? Soft. Biggest PITA was the wiring. Added 3/4 a day to my lift install.
Long term? Not sure. I can tell you to place the wiring in strategic spots. Rip one? You are most likely replacing the whole harness.

I don't really know anyone that has these shocks, nor did they have them available for the diesel last time I looked, but what are your thoughts on this? Gimmick? Worthwhile? Seems like such a neat idea to be able to dial things in on the shocks from the cab, but wondering if they are as great as they seem, and if you have had any issues with them.
IMG_9511.jpg

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
Check out this video. Also, make a note of the right front control arm issue Nate ran into.
Sponsored