Cold weather = Death wobble

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
We haven't had a lot of really cold here yet, but I have noticed that things feel a bit more loose on the colder days. Certainly a bit more free play in the steering wheel, so I may have to give the gearbox a winter setting and a summer one.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
(this is a correction-I pulled the service record and it was the damper not the stabilizer they replaced.)
LOL - different terms for the same bloody part.
Not sure why the bold/underline.

That part is a bandaid anyway, not a true fix for true death wobble.
Check all of the posts made over the years here outlining the facts on this.
Further, that bolt issue impacted a limited number of these trucks for a short period of time.
This is probably thread #857 on the DW topic. No news, nothing new in this one, same-o, same-o.

Jeep Gladiator Cold weather = Death wobble 1669740717972

"damper", "stabilizer", all the same part. Different people use different terms based on what they have heard said or read or been told.

. I didnt have any death wobble until after my lift. I doubt its related, but just adding for information purposes.
Sometimes IS related. Wheel changes, moving tires outward, taller tires, etc. - can especially impact it when it's caused by braking as you have made changes to the scrub radius and one symptom is - nasty stuff happening under heavy braking.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I didnt have any death wobble until after my lift. I doubt its related, but just adding for information purposes.
It absolutely 100% could be related. I mean, you're literally saying "I changed my suspension, but I doubt that's related to my suspension issues".

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive

Further, that bolt issue impacted a limited number of these trucks for a short period of time.
This is probably thread #857 on the DW topic. No news, nothing new in this one, same-o, same-o.

1669740717972.png

"damper", "stabilizer", all the same part. Different people use different terms based on what they have heard said or read or been told.

Sometimes IS related. Wheel changes, moving tires outward, taller tires, etc. - can especially impact it when it's caused by braking as you have made changes to the scrub radius and one symptom is - nasty stuff happening under heavy braking.
I just know it was not immediate after lift. I dont drive enough for miles, but its driven everyday, the same roads, and on cold days i can get it to do it.
It absolutely 100% could be related. I mean, you're literally saying "I changed my suspension, but I doubt that's related to my suspension issues".

only because it was not immediate. I daily this vehicle and the lift has been on for months. I also stated it could be, but idk. I can tell you that I can duplicate the concern at least three times otw to work and otw home. Temps have to be in the forties. NOTHING about that last sentence makes sense. lol. Yes i modified my suspension, but a certain parameters of actions need to be present to cause the concern.

I did the normal 500 mile retorque. After my last butt pucker, i loosened everything, and went through every bolt to make sure it was tightened as well as aligned the vehicle and it was within specs.

Isnt this more of a straight axle issue, not just 'i modified my suspension'? I get that lifting changes and geometry, but the axle is still a solid front axle which is the main reason for death wobble. Im a newb to deathe wobble even though im on my fourth Jeep. Two jkus and two JTs.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I did the normal 500 mile retorque. After my last butt pucker, i loosened everything, and went through every bolt to make sure it was tightened as well as aligned the vehicle and it was within specs.

Jeep Gladiator Cold weather = Death wobble 1669747924692

Scrub radius? Negative or positive after the tire and wheel swap?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We haven't had a lot of really cold here yet, but I have noticed that things feel a bit more loose on the colder days. Certainly a bit more free play in the steering wheel, so I may have to give the gearbox a winter setting and a summer one.
That's weird. Not weird that you haven't had really cold weather there yet, but weird it should feel looser.
I guess you get two paint pens - one blue and one red.
One mark for summer (red) and one mark for winter (blue)

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
That's weird. Not weird that you haven't had really cold weather there yet, but weird it should feel looser.
I guess you get two paint pens - one blue and one red.
One mark for summer (red) and one mark for winter (blue)
I'm trying to make sure it's not reduced tire pressures or something else. I'd prefer to leave the gearbox where it is. I'll keep tinkering with it. It's 60 today.

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive

Scrub radius? Negative or positive after the tire and wheel swap?
until today, i had never heard scrub radius and if I have, it left the chat the same moment i heard it. Ill get it on the alignment rack this weekend. If i had to guess, by eyeballing it, it looks more positive than negative angle but i have piss poor vision.

Thanks for the guidance!

AlGator4

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Medical

after reading some of these posts I think I realized that damper=stabilizer=damper haha. My Glad had no mods, other than bumpers and wench. I’m just hoping it doesn’t happen again with my new 2022. Interestingly enuff, I had to go to one Jeep dealer for the bolt and another for the damper but I got it all done in under 4hrs so I was happy to be on my way.

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
after reading some of these posts I think I realized that damper=stabilizer=damper haha. My Glad had no mods, other than bumpers and wench. I’m just hoping it doesn’t happen again with my new 2022. Interestingly enuff, I had to go to one Jeep dealer for the bolt and another for the damper but I got it all done in under 4hrs so I was happy to be on my way.
Wench = hooker ≠ winch ;)

jeepwaver

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
First post here - also, first time Jeep owner. have had more than 20 vehicles in the past. My glaidator sport is completely bone stock. The entire front-end feels so sloppy. It doesn't inspire any confidence. Even in best condition at 75 I do not feel safe.

I am experiencing the same issue here - yesterday it was below 37F for first time and Jeep just flipped it mind out. Frankly, this is almost 50k truck - i love it but I can't deal with unsafe condition. What were the fixes for this. From my initial reading this is very common. I won't use the DW but whatever it is - i can't drive over 60 mph in the winter in almost 50k truck is ridiculous.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
First post here - also, first time Jeep owner. have had more than 20 vehicles in the past. My glaidator sport is completely bone stock. The entire front-end feels so sloppy. It doesn't inspire any confidence. Even in best condition at 75 I do not feel safe.

I am experiencing the same issue here - yesterday it was below 37F for first time and Jeep just flipped it mind out. Frankly, this is almost 50k truck - i love it but I can't deal with unsafe condition. What were the fixes for this. From my initial reading this is very common. I won't use the DW but whatever it is - i can't drive over 60 mph in the winter in almost 50k truck is ridiculous.
Weird. I’ve been driving in nothing but weather < 37 degrees now for several weeks and never ever have issues. Going slow in a neighborhood, going fast on a highway, just don’t have any steering issues.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

Front end is going to be "sloppy" no matter what, compared to most modern mainstream vehicles, other than ford super duties and ram 2500s and up. A solid axle vehicle just doesn't handle the same as an IFS vehicle. Squishy wide jeep tires don't help either. But if it's worse than before, have the dealership check the torque on your entire suspension. Something may be loose. Also check to make sure the tire pressures are in spec. Dealerships like to over inflate the tires for some reason, and conversely, cold weather makes these big old tires lose a lot of pressure quickly.

Remember, the price at $50k+ isn't for highway manners either. It's for the off-road toughness, the convertible roof, etc. I love my jeep, and it's far better than my TJ ever was on the highway. But it's still worse than anything with a modern suspension on the highway.

My theories are tire pressure fluctuations in cold weather and possibly loose suspension components.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
My JT feels tight. I can almost flick it around like my Nismo. It's stable all the way up to where the speed limiter kicks in.
Sponsored