Sponsored

Compressor Mount Location Decision

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Looking at a dual ARB compressor install but cant decide the best option for location (underhood, under passenger seat, behind rear seat, in bed). If I add a small 1-2 gallon tank will the compressor automatically cycle from time to time? This could be annoying if they are mounted in the cab. I do like the under hood dual set up that mounts up high with the engine cover removed or the in the bed option with the metal cage looking thing around it, although I dont remember who makes this mount. Air needed to run lockers, occassional tool, air up/down, air horn. Thoughts on the best location?
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I think there are several making the bed mount , 813 Fab & design is one that comes to mind. I've thought about it , under the hood is really really hot, under the frame can be messy and wet, in the cabin can be noisey even behind the seat, that leaves for me the bed. I have an RSI cap so putting it in bed is an option, not sure if your bed is covered or if you need to fill bed with mulch or something once in a while.......Jack

NGNERD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LE Gladiator Rubicon GCM
I mounted mine in the bed, with 813 design bracket, really like it. If I were doing that dual, I would put it in the bed and use the 813 designs mount and cover to protect it. He also has an under the hood mount now I think, great person to work with, he has a web site and email. https://www.813fabrication.com/
I think it will cycle if you keep it hot as it loses air, which won't be often, but no expert here for sure, I have mine on aux switches and turn it on only when using, just a preference I guess.

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I mounted mine in the bed, with 813 design bracket, really like it. If I were doing that dual, I would put it in the bed and use the 813 designs mount and cover to protect it. He also has an under the hood mount now I think, great person to work with, he has a web site and email. https://www.813fabrication.com/
I think it will cycle if you keep it hot as it loses air, which won't be often, but no expert here for sure, I have mine on aux switches and turn it on only when using, just a preference I guess.
Can the arbs get wet? Or do you have a cover over your bed? I like that bed mountwith the cage added to protect it.

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 15 JKU, 22 BMW 4, Challenger R/T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
The wheel well mount from Grimm Off Road looks pretty interesting. Here is the install on a Trail Recon video:

Sponsored

NGNERD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LE Gladiator Rubicon GCM
Can the arbs get wet? Or do you have a cover over your bed? I like that bed mountwith the cage added to protect it.
Yes, I have the factory roll up bed cover, so it does not get wet. They are not designed to get wet as far as I understand. Thanks

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Mines under passenger seat - no tank. It's fun to activate when your passenger is unaware lol. that aside I am mostly happy with the location except that it impacts seat movement a little where you ideally keep the seat in one position and it takes away a not of leg room for the passenger sitting behind as you can't tuck your feet under the seat anymore. Maybe I should try to move or a little forward

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Mines under passenger seat - no tank. It's fun to activate when your passenger is unaware lol. that aside I am mostly happy with the location except that it impacts seat movement a little where you ideally keep the seat in one position and it takes away a not of leg room for the passenger sitting behind as you can't tuck your feet under the seat anymore. Maybe I should try to move or a little forward
how much does it limit the seat movement? One notch or five? I a, not too concerned with back seat leg room as we rarely have anyone in the back.

UTRZRDOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Self Employed
how much does it limit the seat movement? One notch or five? I a, not too concerned with back seat leg room as we rarely have anyone in the back.
I just put in an innovativeATproducts system under the front passenger seat and it did not change the seat movement at all. I did however loose a small amount of rear foot room if the rear passenger were to put their feet under the seat. I don’t feel that it will affect any passenger comfort unless they are overly tall and at that time they should be in the front seat anyway if you like them as a passenger. If you don’t care for them then have them sit in the rear passenger seat and you won’t have to worry about them riding with you again.

Great set up with the twin arb and his air up/air down system. Highly recommend it.

Sponsored

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
seat movement is not limited at all but takes more effort so move and you have to watch the cables/wires when moving the seat. We just out it into the furthest back position. I can take pics later

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
As I said, it is rare that someone is in our back seat. When they are, they are usually on the drivers side because I am shorter than my wife so sitting behind me gives more leg room. But at the same time, I do not want seat movement limited too much.
thanks

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I've placed arb twins under 4 different wranglers. Never had an issue with heat. I prefer this location over anything else. 813 Fab has a bracket for twin under the hood. Once I recover from my hand surgery I will be placing mine there for the 5th time.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I have my twin ARB on order. I think I will go with the under the seat mount but am still considering under the hood.

One of the local shops quoted $500 to install it under the seat so I am probably going to tackle it myself. If I can wire my woodworking workshop and HVAC unit myself, I figure I can do a compressor. Right?

@Mjolnir hope your hand recovery goes well.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I have my twin ARB on order. I think I will go with the under the seat mount but am still considering under the hood.

One of the local shops quoted $500 to install it under the seat so I am probably going to tackle it myself. If I can wire my woodworking workshop and HVAC unit myself, I figure I can do a compressor. Right?

@Mjolnir hope your hand recovery goes well.
Appreciate it bud! I had my other hand done in October so its been fun. Reconstructive surgery comes with many pros :headbang::headbang:

Wiring up the ARB is super easy. Just lay it out and figure out what you need with the included wiring looms like the stock switch or not (setting it to stock aux buttons if you have it or spod). I usually have extra wiring from these installs.

Yes I know you were being a little sarcastic lol.

I had a friend who had a twin in the back of his JKU. it was far too loud. If you're using lockers I highly recommend outside of the cab.
Sponsored