Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
That's what happens when you rate a car based on static performance metrics and not doing any qualitative/objective research. Personally, I bought my Gladiator specifically FOR the wind noise. Gladiator is literally the only midsize truck i'd buy because it makes up for all the compromises of a midsize truck by being a Jeep. If it wasnt for the Gladiator, I'd have a JL and would have kept my F150 for truck stuff. Other midsize trucks just plain suck.
20220613_125854.jpg
Ever seen a Ridgeline with the doors off?
Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
https://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-analysis-2021-midsized-pickup/

Gladiator is #3 behind Tacoma (big leader) and Ranger in the midsize segment.

In all trucks, the Gladiator is 8th, outselling the Tundra.

Definitely the worst. No one would buy something so horrible in such high numbers. 🙄
Hidden in the Toyota, Ford, Gladiator comparison, is that many Toyotas and I think Rangers, mostly commercial applications, are just two-wheel drive trucks, not dedicated 4X4s. I'd like to see that parceled out and then the ratio between Toyotas 252,000 and Gladiators (almost) 90,000 wouldn't be as great. The hell with Ford anyway. The Ranger comes in on the F-150 tails. Also sales of Glads went up 16% while Toyota only 6% and Ranger -7%. "Figures don't lie, but liars figure".

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I never trust a headline to summarize a quatitative survey, especially not in our post-Covid ERA. Always look at sample size, when/how the survey samples were collected, and if any results were excluded.

The fine print I found buried a ways down in the article:
"The segment is very close in quality, especially according to J.D. Power, where three points separate the top from the bottom."
MY HEADLINE: Photo-Finish in Midsize Truck Segment.
From another post regarding statistics here:

Hidden in the Toyota, Ford, Gladiator comparison, is that many Toyotas and I think Rangers, mostly commercial applications, are just two-wheel drive trucks, not dedicated 4X4s. I'd like to see that parceled out and then the ratio between Toyotas 252,000 and Gladiators (almost) 90,000 wouldn't be as great. The hell with Ford anyway. The Ranger comes in on the F-150 tails. Also sales of Glads went up 16% while Toyota only 6% and Ranger -7%. (that's negative 7%). "Figures don't lie, but liars figure".

Sponsored

tom.mary.glad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 3.6L, automatic with max tow
Please kill this thread as anyone reading it has a Gladiator and and all it will do is make people pissed and somehow it will be a 30 pages of bull$%&t with no end . We all did our research and knew what we were getting . It's a Fiat, Chrysler Jeep " thing" so there's gonna be some issues . I got it cause I wanted it with it's loose steering box gear , horrible wind noise , death defying driving in the hard wind prowess , The derating when hot ETC ETC ETC ................ . I paid 63grand for a potential sh$! show of issues and did it knowingly and would do it aging ands most of would again so don't be afraid of jd or biscuit they're haters the Jeep aint that bad .
This might be my favorite line ever written on this forum...awesome!

Glad17

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Industrial Firefighter
That's what happens when you rate a car based on static performance metrics and not doing any qualitative/objective research. Personally, I bought my Gladiator specifically FOR the wind noise. Gladiator is literally the only midsize truck i'd buy because it makes up for all the compromises of a midsize truck by being a Jeep. If it wasnt for the Gladiator, I'd have a JL and would have kept my F150 for truck stuff. Other midsize trucks just plain suck.
20220613_125854.jpg
I like hearing things like this. I am still waiting on my Gladiator but I am trading in my F150 and a small part of me deep down wonders if I will miss the full size truck.

Rburns1776

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JT Mojave, '22 WL75 Overland, 21' BMW M1000RR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
I like hearing things like this. I am still waiting on my Gladiator but I am trading in my F150 and a small part of me deep down wonders if I will miss the full size truck.
I was worried too. So far I haven't missed my F150 at all, even when towing our ATV trailer. Wish I would have got a Gladiator a lot sooner

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
MotorBiscuit: Consumer Reports and J.D. Power Agree on the Worst Midsize Truck.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/consumer-reports-j-d-power-agree-worst-midsize-truck/

Only things I agree with in this article are the fuel efficiency should be better and the steering needs improvement as well. But I would never buy a Ridgeline, no matter how many great reviews it gets. I believe in buying American and nothing is as fun as a Jeep! 🇺🇸
Consumer reports once listed the FJ Cruiser as one of the 10 worst cars….as I am a 11 year owner of that “worst car” which has been reliable, is fun and is passing 100K miles and is now worth more than we paid for it….I thumb my nose at Consumer Reports…again!

Sponsored

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
Consumer reports once listed the FJ Cruiser as one of the 10 worst cars….as I am a 11 year owner of that “worst car” which has been reliable, is fun and is passing 100K miles and is now worth more than we paid for it….I thumb my nose at Consumer Reports…again!
Especially since the FJ Cruiser is still in production in Japan and some other foreign markets. It really hasn’t changed since it was discontinued here.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
It’s no secret cr hates jeeps. They act like it’s a car. Well I say let’s take a ridgeline or Santa Cruz or whatever throw some 37s on it and go run the rubicon. Wait what do you mean I can’t pit 37s on ridgeline why the nerve. Haven’t they ever heard of a cutting torch?

GOT FLOYD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2021 Mojave gladiator
No matter what angle you see my Mojave, it's still better looking and more Capable than any of those other cookie cutter trucks mentioned! I've heard "nice truck" from quite a few Chevy and Ford owners and I hadn't even removed the top and doors!

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
MotorBiscuit: Consumer Reports and J.D. Power Agree on the Worst Midsize Truck.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/consumer-reports-j-d-power-agree-worst-midsize-truck/

Only things I agree with in this article are the fuel efficiency should be better and the steering needs improvement as well. But I would never buy a Ridgeline, no matter how many great reviews it gets. I believe in buying American and nothing is as fun as a Jeep! 🇺🇸
The Ridgeline is actually more American than the Gladiator as it's completely built in Alabama. But as I have experience with both vehicles I'll offer my thoughts.

I bought a Gladiator two plus years ago as it's been my dream truck since it came out along with the Raptor. But the Gladiator made more sense price wise and the off roading I like to do. My wife and I loved our adventures that it gave us and camping trips. But after moving out of the city into the country the daily commute and poor MPG grind started to take a toll especially with the gas prices. Would have loved to keep it but wasn't in the cards.

My plan was to get something with a truck bed and gets decent MPG and eventually an older Jeep for adventures. I really had my heart settled on a Maverick as I liked the price and MPG but the reality of finding one for MSRP was pretty impossible. And if I ordered one in August may take a year to get here. So knowing full well the Maverick isn't a "real truck either" I surprisingly took a look at the Ridgeline. I test drove one and was super impressed. Drove great, got great MPG, loved the trunk in the bed and foldable rear seats for the dog. Didn't like the price but with all that considered I decided to get the Ridgeline. I never thought in a million years I'd get a Ridgeline but my needs changed and the Ridgeline fit exactly what I was looking for. I've only had the Ridgeline for a few weeks but so far I've been super impressed. Will it give me the smiles that the Gladiator did? Heck no! But I'm averaging 25mpg and driving in luxury comfort at least it feels like it compared to all the trucks I've driven in the past. Hoping to add a JK at some point to the fleet so I can get back into the Jeep family all while having the same payment as the Gladiator but with two vehicles. Anyways, I don't blame everyone hating on the Ridgeline as its very quirky to say the least but I think it fills a need.

Last edited: