Sponsored

Convert the center console USB-A to a USB-C?

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I had an issue like the op when using the center console and my iPhone 12 Pro. I talked to my dealership and pulled in with it all hooked up and not working (also left the vehicle on so they could see it). The dealership had the proof to get me a replacement media hub.

since then I’ve had no issues at all

good luck op
Sponsored

OP
OP
2tall

2tall

First Name
Carmino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRM
Occupation
Engineer

me_ccie

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Odd.... I have a 2020 JT Rubicon and all the ports front and back screen mirror Carplay. Recently installed a wireless carplay adapter in the center armrest and it's been working great.

Sponsored

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
I looked for a post on this but don’t see any. Anyone know if you can convert the center console USB A to a USB C?

I have an iPhone 12 and apple carplay will only work with the USB C connection. I assume it is because it is high speed? When I use the USB A it connects but then disconnects after 5 minutes or so. Super annoying.

I like the cable route to the phone from the center console better.

Thanks for any input you may have on making the port change to USB C.
I have a 12 pro max and no issues. I also use these for my older usb conversions to usb-c.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079LYHNS...abc_HREPQ5DGX5QMX08GE0G1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
Appears to only convert the physical format, not the specs for charging, data transfer, etc. It's basically a media converter.
Right, but the iPhone 12 cable has usb-c/lighting ends and this satisfies that connection.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
Appears to only convert the physical format, not the specs for charging, data transfer, etc. It's basically a media converter.
Also, I use my 12 pro max with CarPlay and I am forever trying to ward off the wife and her 12 pro when she wants to play her own music while I drive and she uses that port with the adapter I posted. No issues. I don’t think it’s a cable connection speed issue the OP is having.

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
Interresting...I am CERTAIN that, when I had my factory-installed, 7" Uconnect radio, the USB port in the armrest WOULD allow me to plug my 256gB USB Thumb drive AND PLAY MUSIC FROM THAT DRIVE. When I upgraded to my "brand new, bought at @AllMoparParts.com 8.4 Uconnect radio", THAT was when I had to move my thumb drive from the arm rest port to the dash port. With top & doors off, I preferred to have my USB drive "out of sight, out of mind", HIDDEN/locked up in the armrest, NOT sticking out of the dash, waiting to be "liberated." I presume that a firmware upgrade was what disabled this capability...

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Interresting...I am CERTAIN that, when I had my factory-installed, 7" Uconnect radio, the USB port in the armrest WOULD allow me to plug my 256gB USB Thumb drive AND PLAY MUSIC FROM THAT DRIVE. When I upgraded to my "brand new, bought at @AllMoparParts.com 8.4 Uconnect radio", THAT was when I had to move my thumb drive from the arm rest port to the dash port. With top & doors off, I preferred to have my USB drive "out of sight, out of mind", HIDDEN/locked up in the armrest, NOT sticking out of the dash, waiting to be "liberated." I presume that a firmware upgrade was what disabled this capability...
I have a USB thumb drive inside my console - and can choose it as source for music. 8.4 premium sound system.

OP
OP
2tall

2tall

First Name
Carmino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRM
Occupation
Engineer
A heads up to anyone interested I posted my solution on my original post. Problem solved!

@JeepCares

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
I have a USB thumb drive inside my console - and can choose it as source for music. 8.4 premium sound system.
Really?!? I just went out to the garage & double checked mine -- thumb drive in the dash, USB1 works great; SAME drive in the armrest console -- USB2 grayed out / selecting it does nothing. I wonder what is different between yours & mine? I'm wondering if there is a setting I could change with AlphaOBD that would "fix" this???

Edit: Perhaps it is time to get the recall fix for my manual transmission scheduled/done -- perhaps that software upgrade would fix this issue?

Last edited:

Smittie

First Name
Smittie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
smittie.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2019 Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Technology Consultant in Agriculture
Wha...?!?!
The USB port in my center console works with CarPlay, even with a wireless adapter.
I'm using an iPhone 10, so I can't say as to how it'll work with a 12.

Kevin
I use the USB port in the center console to connect my Pixel 5 Android (Android 1`1) to Android Auto almost exclusively. I have also used the USB port in the console to plug in a thumb drive and play audio files.

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
What wireless CarPlay adapters are people using.
Does it work with Gaia GPS CarPlay?
Sponsored