First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Trucker
On a 8-speed, especially with factory 4.10 axle gears, it's completely unnecessary to regear. Some guys just have a hard time letting go of yester-year.
I’ve got 37’s and I only hit 8th gear going down hill. Sounds like the engine is working real hard alll the time. I’m considering to re gear myself.
Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I’ve got 37’s and I only hit 8th gear going down hill. Sounds like the engine is working real hard alll the time. I’m considering to re gear myself.
Do you rock crawl at all? If you are an aggressive off-roader you might consider holding off on a regear or at least regearing slightly under the size recommended for 37's.

When you regear from say 4.10 to 5.13, the ring gear stays the same size because it is limited by the size of the differential housing, which means there have to be more teeth around the ring gear. To make the appropriate number of teeth fit in that space they are smaller/thinner (imagine trying to fit 4 more teeth in your mouth on top and bottom). If you are aggressive in the rocks, this actually puts you at more risk of breaking teeth on the ring gear.

I've been running 37's on 4.10's for 3 years now and only see 8th gear on birthdays and special family occasions but am at peace with that as I'd rather have the more robust gearing for my playtime.

Rickjames

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Trucker
Do you rock crawl at all? If you are an aggressive off-roader you might consider holding off on a regear or at least regearing slightly under the size recommended for 37's.

When you regear from say 4.10 to 5.13, the ring gear stays the same size because it is limited by the size of the differential housing, which means there have to be more teeth around the ring gear. To make the appropriate number of teeth fit in that space they are smaller/thinner (imagine trying to fit 4 more teeth in your mouth on top and bottom). If you are aggressive in the rocks, this actually puts you at more risk of breaking teeth on the ring gear.

I've been running 37's on 4.10's for 3 years now and only see 8th gear on birthdays and special family occasions but am at peace with that as I'd rather have the more robust gearing for my playtime.
Hmm. Interesting. But no. Can’t say I do a whole lot of climbing. I’m just always worried it’s working my engine to hard and I’m gonna blow something. But I also ain’t much of a mechanic and maybe it is perfectly fine too. 💁🏻

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter

Hmm. Interesting. But no. Can’t say I do a whole lot of climbing. I’m just always worried it’s working my engine to hard and I’m gonna blow something. But I also ain’t much of a mechanic and maybe it is perfectly fine too. 💁🏻
Both 4.10 and 5.13 have 41 teeth on the ring gear.

5.13 = 41 on the ring and 8 on the pinion.
41 / 8 = 5.13

4.10 = 41 on the ring and 10 on the pinion.
41 / 10= 4.10

The common claim is 5.13 is weaker because of the pinion size. I don’t think it matters enough to decide what ratio you pick.

Sponsored

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I have a 2021 Rubicon with 4.10 and 35's and 8th gear is rare and if it does take it does stay. It likes to jump 7-8 all the time. I was always told 3.73 -4.1 is an insignificant jump to notice any real differences in drivability. 4.56 may be a better option. If i were to change out the gearing I would probably go with 4.88 and never go to 37's. My MPG now is 13-14 MPG and if i really try i can get 16-17 but thats too much work LOL

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
I just had my Mojave regeared. New gears, front and rear, and the installation of the front locker.

$3500. I haven’t really driven it enough to notice an increasing mileage. But for whatever reason my Mojave got terrible mileage already so I don’t expect it to get much better.

Frank...

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 6-speed
Just got my JTR regeared. Went with 4.88’s the shop uses revolution gears. Master overhaul kits, gears, & labor. Final cost was $1,650 out the door. Still in the 500 mile break in phase.

BigG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Papermaker
I paid $2500 in Oregon.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
Just got my JTR regeared. Went with 4.88’s the shop uses revolution gears. Master overhaul kits, gears, & labor. Final cost was $1,650 out the door. Still in the 500 mile break in phase.
How do you like it? This is all i have been thinking about since falling into the thread. The job seems to be $2k here through Rebel. I always thought is was too expensive to regear but i just spent 3k on wheels and tires LMFAO. Guess what i am doing once tires are paid off HAHAHAHA

Frank...

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 6-speed
I’ll know how I like it more after the 500 miles & swap the gear oil. Right now I’m shifting into 2nd, 3rd, & 4th a lot earlier.
Can’t wait to ring this thing out.
Sponsored