Sponsored

Could coronavirus slow/stop diesel engine production

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I read today that Italy was on lockdown due to coronavirus. I wonder if this will slow or halt Ecodiesel engine production?
Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Interesting question..
The engines are built in Cento, Italy which is North of Bologna and in the northern third of Italy.
I believe that human travel is restricted but if the employees are about to work then I don’t think it will have any appreciable affect on production.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Interesting question..
I'm hoping to order a Ram Ecodiesel this week, so it got me thinking about it.

The engines are built in Cento, Italy which is North of Bologna and in the northern third of Italy.
I believe that human travel is restricted but if the employees are about to work then I don’t think it will have any appreciable affect on production.
I'm sure the severity of the virus spread will determine what measures businesses taken to protect their employees. I wouldn't be surprised if engines coming into the U.S. slowed down. Although, I'm not sure if that would be public information.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm hoping to order a Ram Ecodiesel this week, so it got me thinking about it.

I'm sure the severity of the virus spread will determine what measures businesses taken to protect their employees. I wouldn't be surprised if engines coming into the U.S. slowed down. Although, I'm not sure if that would be public information.
I completely understand wanting to order your truck, but have you confirmed that no dealerships around you have what you want? I found that the dealers here in my area are stacked up deep with lots of EcoDiesel trucks and I got $11,000 off sticker on a lease (would have been $16k on a "buy") and they are motivated to move inventory. The one I leased had been sitting there for 3 months.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I completely understand wanting to order your truck, but have you confirmed that no dealerships around you have what you want? I found that the dealers here in my area are stacked up deep with lots of EcoDiesel trucks and I got $11,000 off sticker on a lease (would have been $16k on a "buy") and they are motivated to move inventory. The one I leased had been sitting there for 3 months.
Keep in mind that my nearest dealership is 2 hours away. I'm also buying a Longhorn, and they are far and few between. Also, what are the chances of finding exactly what I want on the dealer's lot? Trust me, it's much easier just to order one. I'm getting mine for $13,000 off MSRP, so that's still a good deal.

Sponsored

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I was thinking that if this virus puts the economy in the tank, fewer people will be ordering Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesels, so maybe I will get a better deal on mine. If life give you lemons, look for a way to make lemonade. I can spray the engine with Lysol, just in case.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I was thinking that if this virus puts the economy in the tank, fewer people will be ordering Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesels, so maybe I will get a better deal on mine. If life give you lemons, look for a way to make lemonade. I can spray the engine with Lysol, just in case.
I was also thinking what might happen if the economy took a big hit. I guess time will tell.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Most likely yes, production and imports will likely be significantly delayed. We are about a week into this thing and my stocks have dropped by 20%.

Most schools here are closed for 2-4 weeks already and the CDC has recommended no gatherings of more than 50 people. Small businesses are shutting down, people are working from home. It’s going to be interesting to see what the text 8 weeks brings...

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
By the actual numbers as of yesterday:

Population of earth with COVID-19: 0.00012%

Survival rate among those who have it: 94.7%

The hysteria and panic over this virus is media-induced and political. The economy is being trashed, peoples' lives are being interrupted, jobs are being lost, kids aren't getting educations, store shelves are bare, and it's just general mass panic over something that's been happening in the world for thousands and thousands of years.

It's scary how dumb the general public has become. Hopefully people will get sick and tired of the authorities lying to them soon and we can get back to our daily lives and try to recover from our losses.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The hysteria and panic over this virus is media-induced and political. The economy is being trashed, peoples' lives are being interrupted, jobs are being lost, kids aren't getting educations, store shelves are bare, and it's just general mass panic over something that's been happening in the world for thousands and thousands of years.

It's scary how dumb the general public has become. Hopefully people will get sick and tired of the authorities lying to them soon and we can get back to our daily lives and try to recover from our losses.

Sorry your off par on this one. The reality is our hospitals don’t have capacity to deal with a bolus of sick patients from COVID-19. If it spreads super fast, people will simply die because we won’t have the capacity to car for them. This “panic” and “hysteria” is the CDC trying to 1) prevent or 2) spread out the timeline of cases.

Patients mainly die from respiratory issues associated with the virus, which with severe cases you needed a critical care bed and vent, along with staff who know how to manage a patient in those circumstances. Hospitals don’t have that kind of capacity or resources. There is an algorithm going around by the CDC that talks about selecting patients who gets care vs. others. This is usually dependent on age and other risk factors.

What does that mean? If everyone’s grandma comes in the same week, they will say we will only give the best care to the group that has the highest rate of survival (that needs that acute care). All the 80/90 year old grandparents die, most of the 60/70 year old ones will live because they got preference over the older group to get proper care.

We want to flatten out that curse curve of patients coming in all at one time.

Let’s see how those statistics look in 3-4 weeks. Hopefully this doesn’t become a reality.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Sorry your off par on this one. The reality is our hospitals don’t have capacity to deal with a bolus of sick patients from COVID-19.
From this site https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ there have been 174,115 recorded cases of Covid19, with 6,684 deaths. That is 96.2% survival rate.
Additionally, in the US there are 3,664 active cases, with only 10 considered 'serious'. SO we are doing okay so far, just keep your heads & wash your hands, we will get through this. As numbers of infected go up, expect pretty much all retail outlets to close, so be prepared to stay home a couple weeks, something that everyone should be ready for at any time anyway-

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
From this site https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ there have been 174,115 recorded cases of Covid19, with 6,684 deaths. That is 96.2% survival rate.
Additionally, in the US there are 3,664 active cases, with only 10 considered 'serious'. SO we are doing okay so far, just keep your heads & wash your hands, we will get through this. As numbers of infected go up, expect pretty much all retail outlets to close, so be prepared to stay home a couple weeks, something that everyone should be ready for at any time anyway-
You cannot calculate death rates off raw current recorded cases vs. to date death totals while a disease is active and growing. One has to isolate a given group number over time that recovers and record the specific deaths from that group to find the death/survival rates

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You cannot calculate death rates off raw current recorded cases vs. to date death totals while a disease is active and growing. One has to isolate a given group number over time that recovers and record the specific deaths from that group to find the death/survival rates
Agreed. The latency period is up to 14 days and many younger people will show very mild symptoms, never get tested, but be spreading it.

An outbreak at a very large assisted living city could over burden a large cities hospital capacity in no time.

Have y’all heard of the Stafford act? Things could get interesting in the next couple/several weeks...

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

This bears repeating again....

Although I believe that the actual survival rate is far higher because the total number of infected cannot be accurately counted.
This plus the fact that we have THE BEST HEALTHCARE SYSTEM IN THE WORLD... means that unless you are over 60 and/or have underlying respiratory/health conditions YOU WILL BE FINE...(BTW I am over 60..)

Everyone needs to take a deep breath, practice good hygiene (which you should already be doing given we are in the regular flu season) and Jeep On.....

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This bears repeating again....

Although I believe that the actual survival rate is far higher because the total number of infected cannot be accurately counted.
This plus the fact that we have THE BEST HEALTHCARE SYSTEM IN THE WORLD... means that unless you are over 60 and/or have underlying respiratory/health conditions YOU WILL BE FINE...(BTW I am over 60..)

Everyone needs to take a deep breath, practice good hygiene (which you should already be doing given we are in the regular flu season) and Jeep On.....
sorry your statement of “This plus the fact that we have THE BEST HEALTHCARE SYSTEM IN THE WORLD... means that unless you are over 60 and/or have underlying respiratory/health conditions YOU WILL BE FINE...” is simply not true.

It’s about the amount of patients we could have at one time, not about how good our care is.

Your statement about survivor rate may be true, but that just means the estimated infected is higher, which is mostly irrelevant because we only care about people who are unable to get the proper care and die from it. Death rates are real numbers to look at and only time will tell with that. Hopefully the US and world comes out on this okay.
Sponsored