couple tech questions--brake booster, cruise control and engine clatter

cleatus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
computer fixie guy
My Heep is already at the shop for a few other issues...they gave me a rental to use. I had these issues as well and wanted some thoughts on them before i add these to their list to fix.
(my Glad is 2020 Overland)
(rental Glad is 2021 Oscar Mike)

item 1--brakes. i noticed this when at a drive thru-- can hear a fairly loud "ssshhhhhhhhhh......Shhhhhhhhhhhh" sound randomly. think its tied to the brakes (maybe steering?)
on the same note--i have a rental gladiator... and i notice when i get into this one and hit the brakes to start---the pedal is hard as a rock. in mine, i get in and i hit the brake pedal to start and it presses way down Is there a "normal" pedal feel for this?

item 2
cruise control. my Glad-it never keeps a good speed. always up and down. Way off set speed--especially going, up, or down hill. over a small hill is the worst. it will accelerate rigth past the set speed, go 2-4 mph over set, and then finally settle down to set speed. again, the rental Glad i have seems to keep it MUCH better. i was curious what might cause this and or the fix so i can get them to have a look at it.

item 3
my Glad sounds like a dang diesel. especially under load-- no errors, no power issues otherwise. just clatters. rental Glad =nope, quiet

thanks everyone!
Sponsored

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
The brakes are no longer drawing vacuum from the engine and what you're hearing is a vacuum pump that is very loud. If the brakes are working when driving there really is no issue. As far as cruise control goes that sounds pretty normal to me I doubt theres anything to fix there. As far as engine noises go the 3.6L engine universally has camshaft/rocker issues. Its possible that you might be hearing that starting but of course the technician would have to confirm that first before repairing anything.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I never run cruise on any sections of highway that have frequent small hills. About the time the vehicle, any vehicle, is done getting up to speed climbing one hill, it's braking to not go too fast as it goes down the other side. I can handle that stuff better manually because I can see what's coming and make earlier and more subtle adjustments.

Your biggest issue is that engine noise, and with it being a 2020 you're likely in the service bulletin club on the cam shaft/ rocker issue.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 Overland with adaptive cruise control. It maintains speed very well, occasionally going 1mph over set. I hear the electric pump, usually when there is a wall to reflect the sound, it is normal. My engine is fairly quiet, no clattering, ticking, or pinging. It has a little over 32k miles on it.

OP
OP

cleatus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
computer fixie guy
good to know-- kinda thought that shhhhhhhh sound was normal-- but wanted to check as they two jeeps have totally different brake feel at startup

and as mentioned...mine just seems to go stupid going over hills. its off can i can see/feel it accelerating right past the set speed. so it jumps over set by 2-5 mph on each hill. that and it hits the brakes going down hills--and then will go 2-3 mph UNDER my set speed...
, while reg folks around me are just coasting down. my previous vehicle would down shift to help keep speed down hills --no cruise control braking to annoy folks behind you

I have a 2020 Overland with adaptive cruise control. It maintains speed very well, occasionally going 1mph over set. I hear the electric pump, usually when there is a wall to reflect the sound, it is normal. My engine is fairly quiet, no clattering, ticking, or pinging. It has a little over 32k miles on it.
Sponsored