First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Hi Alt, 2017 Wrangler, Rcky Mtn
Occupation
Finance
if you can attain Range Rover quietness then I'll drive up to see you and let you do your magic ..haha.

yep I've looked at those antennas by the sun visor, but my freedom tops are covered in sound deadener as well and I don't think that is the answer for me. I've seen people who have relocated their antenna outside of vehicle. it's not that big of deal I don't think.
If you saw my jacked up response a moment ago, I apologize. Talk to text via Siri is not always perfect!
Sponsored

concretewolf

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Gladiator, Toyota Sequoia, Ford Taurus
Would some one please post a link to headliner? I went on coverking website and could not find it!

Thanks

OP
OP
Mflowers11

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
OK, come and do my wife's JLU now and if that turns out, might turn you loose on my JT.
My wife is used to Grand Cherokee finished interior and ability to have conversation.........
Happy wife, happy life. I uploaded a video of the decibel level while driving in the rain @ 70. Radio sounds much better , 67 decibels in the rain. Huge improvement…. If that’s your wife’s one complaint, this might be the fix. Once I do the floors it should get pretty quiet….

OP
OP
Mflowers11

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
What sound deadening material thickness works best with Coverking headliners? I see

- 1.3mm (50mil)
- 2mm (80mil)
- 4mm

and so on.

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
What sound deadening material thickness works best with Coverking headliners? I see

- 1.3mm (50mil)
- 2mm (80mil)
- 4mm

and so on.
Well I have no data comparing one thickness vs another as I suspect that others who have installed won’t have either. Theoretically, the thicker the material the more the decibel reduction should be.

I believe that the Boom Mat I used was 80 mil.

What I do feel confident in stating is that there was enough give/slop/excess/whatever in the CoverKing that I don’t think a >80 mil material would have an issue fitting with the Topliner. However, I think that the 80 mil I used proved moderately challenging to fit in places enough that I’m glad I wasn’t trying to use thicker.

Last edited:

TigerInFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Mojave
Occupation
Design & Sell Inground Pools
I did 80 mil plus the foam sound deadner. fitting was fun but not too bad. i had to trim a lot of the Coverking headliner. must have been a Friday and someone wanted to go home early. no big deal.

OP
OP
Mflowers11

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance

- 1.3mm (50mil)
- 2mm (80mil)
- 4mm

and so on.
80 mil on the freedom panels and 80 mil on the top and 120 on the sides of the back cover. In hindsight I probably could have done 120 mil on the freedom panels if I took my time too but it does affect the fit of the CoverKing and would add a lot of weight to it.

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue
80 mil on the freedom panels and 80 mil on the top and 120 on the sides of the back cover. In hindsight I probably could have done 120 mil on the freedom panels if I took my time too but it does affect the fit of the CoverKing and would add a lot of weight to it.
Does anyone have experience with the different sound deadening materials/brands? I've seen Boom Mat, Siles, and Kilmat? Any one of them better than another?

Also how much 80mil material and how much 120 mil material is needed?

I have the coverking on order, and waiting on responses to this to order the sound deadening mat and application roller. Suggestions on adhesive spray?

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone have experience with the different sound deadening materials/brands? I've seen Boom Mat, Siles, and Kilmat? Any one of them better than another?

Also how much 80mil material and how much 120 mil material is needed?

I have the coverking on order, and waiting on responses to this to order the sound deadening mat and application roller. Suggestions on adhesive spray?
I used 2 boxes of 2mm 12.5” x 24” (10 sheets/box) and had no extra full sheets left over.

OP
OP
Mflowers11

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
Siles worked great for me, no idea on the others.

One of the deadening companies had a square feet calculator but bought enough to do the doors and floor. You can get a close estimate by multiplying the width and length of the roof you’ll be covering and adding 10-20%.

120 mil, used 3 sheets as I put that on the back side panels to block road & wind. 80 mil, was used on the roof & freedom panels.

TigerInFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Mojave
Occupation
Design & Sell Inground Pools
3m High Strength 90 is what I used and it worked great for me. Just make sure you know where you are spraying because it can be a mess.

you can get it at HD or Lowes

Jeep Gladiator Coverking headliner installed with sound deadening material. Lowered sound decibels in cabin significantly 99a05312-6ab8-48fb-b3fe-e3aa90d74227

MarkeyInSpace

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Hey Guys! Just found this forum by searching on this exact topic.

I'm planning to begin installing sound deadening material in my Gladiator in a few weeks, waiting for the weather to get warmer. I'd love to hear from others about their experiences and outcomes with similar projects. My goal is to tackle this project once and do it perfectly as opposed to making it a piece by piece project. While I've discovered several comprehensive guides online, I'm interested in hearing about other approaches and solutions others have used. Appreciate it!

Edit: I ended up finding some really good reading material on the subject. Figured I'd come back and post it

Sound Deadener Products - Reference Information & Guide
Sound Deadening Material Buyers Guide
Sound Deadening Material Testing Results
Sponsored

Last edited: