Sponsored

CP4.2 upgraded injector pump (pinned lifter bores RCD performance)

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Last edited:

Bananaman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green Sport S JTRD
Occupation
Cabinet maker
OP
OP
@californiajeeping

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Wonder how this is compared to what the future recall fix will be?
I bet its a similar solution from OEM. The cost for an injection pump is between 900-1400$ online. This would be cheaper and you get support from the company re-working it with a warranty.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I bet its a similar solution from OEM. The cost for an injection pump is between 900-1400$ online. This would be cheaper and you get support from the company re-working it with a warranty.
I doubt that. Used to have a Ford 6.7, the fuel pump (since 2011) has a similar issue with disintegration due to water ingestion. The only way you got this "disaster prevention" bypass kit was aftermarket. Ford wouldn't add it as a fix. It'll be interesting to see what FCA does for a fix as ford has been dealing with this for more than 10 years and still doesn't have a "fix".

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt that. Used to have a Ford 6.7, the fuel pump (since 2011) has a similar issue with disintegration due to water ingestion. The only way you got this "disaster prevention" bypass kit was aftermarket. Ford wouldn't add it as a fix. It'll be interesting to see what FCA does for a fix as ford has been dealing with this for more than 10 years and still doesn't have a "fix".
What is Ford forced due to a “safety” recall?

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This looks like a legit cure for the CP 4 issues. Combine with a GDE tune and it should be good.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no they didn’t go wild like FCA did with the ram and jeep recalls. They’ve got a lawsuit pending instead lol.
Thanks for the reply...and damn...I must have been really tired when I typed that question....LMAO

Sponsored

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
@californiajeeping I recall in another thread they were silent over email, I called and spoke to a guy named Adam who seemed pretty plugged into the whole situation. My only concern would be ensuring the timing was dialed in during install.

He mentioned that as long as the gear teeth are marked prior to removal and the new pump is clocked in the exact same position, all good. He mentioned another approach where one would ensure TDC on ignition, the gear matching seems more straight forward. @Sandevino does this jive with your experience working on diesels or was he oversimplifying it? I work on all of our equipment and vehicles but I have zero experience working with diesel HPFPs.

What do you folks think would be the sensible threshold for avoiding the factory "fix" once released in favor of something like this? I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to diesel fueling systems, my gut tells me if they wiggle this into a safety only fix and throw a software patch at it without addressing the actual pump design flaw, I may pass and go with the CPX solution.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can do this, but plan on what may be left of your warrantee to Poof
be gone. I recommend on having a little faith and get the recal work done. They’ve taken just under a year to get it dialed in
. This way you still have recourse “if” something goes wrong down the road.

Millions and millions have gone into this fix by the time re-engineering, testing, manufacturing, shipping, training and labor to rectify the issue. It may just be me, but I don’t think they took the situation lightly and they’re just putting a Band-Aid on it. It’s possible but I just don’t think that’s the case.

Edit

Not coming down on you at all, but just adding commentary:

When you say, “
 my gut tells me if they wiggle this into a safety only fix and throw a software patch at it without addressing the actual pump design flaw
” you should know this is a much stronger and important recall being that it was deemed a safety issue. The ramification of not addressing it correctly could potentially cost them 10’s of billions in liability suits carrying punitive awards. A proper fix could potentially be much more cost affective.

Last edited:

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
@californiajeeping I recall in another thread they were silent over email, I called and spoke to a guy named Adam who seemed pretty plugged into the whole situation. My only concern would be ensuring the timing was dialed in during install.

He mentioned that as long as the gear teeth are marked prior to removal and the new pump is clocked in the exact same position, all good. He mentioned another approach where one would ensure TDC on ignition, the gear matching seems more straight forward. @Sandevino does this jive with your experience working on diesels or was he oversimplifying it? I work on all of our equipment and vehicles but I have zero experience working with diesel HPFPs.

What do you folks think would be the sensible threshold for avoiding the factory "fix" once released in favor of something like this? I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to diesel fueling systems, my gut tells me if they wiggle this into a safety only fix and throw a software patch at it without addressing the actual pump design flaw, I may pass and go with the CPX solution.
The CP4.2 pump is mechanical like the CP4 and CP3. The difference on our vehicles is the injectors are controlled by the ECU and expect the pump to be properly timed.

Removing the pump isn't to difficult but you need to remove the grille, radiator, condenser, etc.. to give yourself some room for the bolts and pump to come out. The pump needs to be removed straight out as it is pressed onto a gear attached to passenger side cam.

To reinstall, you need to make sure cylinder #1 is at TDC as everything is timed off of this cylinder. The pump must be oriented internally to correspond to cylinder #1 at TDC. There are installation tools you can buy to aid in this for $100-ish that will lock the crank and cam during assembly. This is needed to ensure the gear on the cam does not rotate when pressing the pump into place. Next you use a degree wheel to time the pump prior to installation. The fuel delivery dot, and drive cam need to align to 65 degrees. Reinstall straight onto the cam gear and torque to spec.

If the pump is out of time by a degree or two, you're fine as perfection isn't achieved at the factory. If you're off more than a couple degrees and send it you will throw codes like no tomorrow. The vehicle will also run rough, be under powered and smoke, if it even starts at all.

If this occurs, pull the pump, check timing and reinstall. It's not a difficult process but one that inexperienced technicians will find daunting.

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
You can do this, but plan on what may be left of your warrantee to Poof
be gone. I recommend on having a little faith and get the recal work done. They’ve taken just under a year to get it dialed in
. This way you still have recourse “if” something goes wrong down the road.

Millions and millions have gone into this fix by the time re-engineering, testing, manufacturing, shipping, training and labor to rectify the issue. It may just be me, but I don’t think they took the situation lightly and they’re just putting a Band-Aid on it. It’s possible but I just don’t think that’s the case.

Edit

Not coming down on you at all, but just adding commentary:

When you say, “
 my gut tells me if they wiggle this into a safety only fix and throw a software patch at it without addressing the actual pump design flaw
” you should know this is a much stronger and important recall being that it was deemed a safety issue. The ramification of not addressing it correctly could potentially cost them 10’s of billions in liability suits carrying punitive awards. A proper fix could potentially be much more cost affective.
Not addressing this will bankrupt the companies - both Bosch and FCA / Stellantis.

This is a challenging situation - pump design is solid, end user maintenance is questionable and the end result is unknown failure.
Sponsored