Sponsored

D&C Designs Side Marker

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
So I really like these, and have been trying to talk myself into purchasing them, but the price tag was a little steep and I wanted a few different functions... So I made my own.

I used the cowls that were already on my JT, a rough country winch extension harness, and some cheapo led side markers from the 'zon.

I mocked it up, drilled my holes, rattlecanned them with some bedliner, then secured the LEDs and Winch Socket with miscellaneous hardware from Ace.

I tapped into the white / green turn signal wires on the front fender for the side markers.

For the winch extension, I chopped it in the middle and spliced an additional ~7ft of wire in. One end is mounted to the driver's side cowl, and I've got a 3 pin waterproof plug on the winch side and a 1 foot pigtail that goes from the harness I routed to the winches controller input (made with the other half of the RC extension).

Waterproof connectors on everything so I can unplug and remove the cowls easily if needed.

Mocked them up with my Lange Coyote mirror brackets in place to make sure there would be no conflicts.

I now have side facing blinkers, and I can plug my winch remote in right at the driver's side cowl so that I can operate the winch from the driver's seat, meaning I can self recover easier and safer.

IMG_20210815_083312201_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210815_083312201_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210815_101657872_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210815_110238283.jpg

IMG_20210815_122145840_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210815_175703890_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Pigtail jumps from the waterproof connector in my hand to the rough country controller connection as shown in the second picture.

Sacrificed one of my harness connectors to make a plug for when it's not in use. Will keep the pigtail in my gear bag with the controller.

IMG_20210815_180736056.jpg

IMG_20210815_181518904.jpg

Edit: to be fair to the dudes at Rough Country, the controller cable is long enough to reach the driver's seat without all these shenanigans, but I like that I can hook it up this way and not have a bunch of slack hanging around near the winch / over the hood etc. I'll be bundling the slack in the pigtail for the same reason.

Last edited:

BigKillaTDogg

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Blue
Occupation
Sales
So I really like these, and have been trying to talk myself into purchasing them, but the price tag was a little steep and I wanted a few different functions... So I made my own.

I used the cowls that were already on my JT, a rough country winch extension harness, and some cheapo led side markers from the 'zon.

I mocked it up, drilled my holes, rattlecanned them with some bedliner, then secured the LEDs and Winch Socket with miscellaneous hardware from Ace.

I tapped into the white / green turn signal wires on the front fender for the side markers.

For the winch extension, I chopped it in the middle and spliced an additional ~7ft of wire in. One end is mounted to the driver's side cowl, and I've got a 3 pin waterproof plug on the winch side and a 1 foot pigtail that goes from the harness I routed to the winches controller input (made with the other half of the RC extension).

Waterproof connectors on everything so I can unplug and remove the cowls easily if needed.

Mocked them up with my Lange Coyote mirror brackets in place to make sure there would be no conflicts.

I now have side facing blinkers, and I can plug my winch remote in right at the driver's side cowl so that I can operate the winch from the driver's seat, meaning I can self recover easier and safer.

Jeep Gladiator D&C Designs Side Marker IMG_20210815_181518904

While I applaud you on making your own version of these I still feel the D&C lights look cleaner. They have that factory-made look to them. Also I prefer the body paint match. I think you did a nice job and for probably much less money though.

OP
OP
OVRLND_G8R

OVRLND_G8R

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Gator
Took the plunge after a year and a half. Will report back on my review! šŸ‘šŸ¼

Sponsored

OP
OP
OVRLND_G8R

OVRLND_G8R

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As someone that has gone to the checkout page twice but couldn't pull the trigger, I'm excited to read your review.
only twice? I think I did it every time they posted a sale lol. Pics and review coming. Spoke to them before placed the order to confirm they had my color in stock and it should be shipping tomorrow

so farā€¦. Great customer service

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 gladiator rubicon
I get more compliments on these lights than any accessory I have on my truck. I love how functional they are. I wired the white light which is super bright by the way into my Voswitch and the yellow lights into my signals using harnesses from quadratec. Been running these since January without issues. I'm also planning on putting in an order for the ones for my JK also since I like them so much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OVRLND_G8R

OVRLND_G8R

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay. Products arrived. Product installed half wayā€¦ but only because it got dark out lol. reactionā€¦.Do I wish for the price it came with standard wiring and some connectors and what notā€¦. Absolutely. But itā€™s hard to do that since everyone installs them a little different to suite their needs, which is what I did.

Jeep Gladiator D&C Designs Side Marker 9322C09D-3004-4E48-9919-AD41013697D0

So what I did, was what they recommend. Wire the white to an AUX switch and amber to The turn signal. However, I also wanted the amber on an aux switch for constant on. AND I wanted to control each light individually, so I can only turn on the right light or just the left or both. This is so if at camp I wanted working light I have white light on the side Iā€™m on and not bothering others or if I wanted just casual light to light up the ground amber would be used. So this ended up taking all 4 aux switches. (I havenā€™t used any aux switches for two years but I do plan on getting an 8 switch controller, just wanted to get these installed and see how they are until I get that controller, so donā€™t freak out people lol)

To do this is rather simpleā€¦

White light (White wire):
Drivers goes to Aux 1. Passenger goes to Aux 3. Done. Easy.

Amber light (Green wire):
You need to include a diode. I used thisā€¦

Diode CLICK HERE

The two inputs to the diode, one will be from Aux, and the other is from turn signal. Output goes to the light (Green wire).
So drivers side you have aux 2 to diode input. Turn signal tap to diode input. Diode output to new light.

repeat on passenger side but white light goes to Aux 3 and amber goes to Aux4.

Jeep Gladiator D&C Designs Side Marker 81A9CA52-CC17-495F-80DB-56C7A9EAABDA

drivers side turn signal tap.
Jeep Gladiator D&C Designs Side Marker FF12F3D6-5EA7-4531-BC9A-BC3A15BA868F

Jeep Gladiator D&C Designs Side Marker 81FB46CC-819D-4108-9476-12FC73C2FAEA

video going thru the switches and turn signal.

Now. To really see if the work for this was necessary, Iā€™ll be on the beach at night tomorrow and will take some pictures. Iā€™m hoping the amber is bright enough to light the ground at camp. If itā€™s notā€¦. Well that would suck and wasted some wire and everyone can ignore my post (minus the white lights being individually controlled cause that is nice) šŸ˜‚

initial reaction on a street with street lights. These white lights are BRIGHT. (Canā€™t believe I didnā€™t take a picture of the ground with lights on :headbang:) it made the road look like it was daylight through my tints. Definitely worth the purchase. Just gotta determine what wiring set up works best for you and your needs.

more pictures to come. šŸ‘šŸ¼

Vanzano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Okay. Products arrived. Product installed half wayā€¦ but only because it got dark out lol. reactionā€¦.Do I wish for the price it came with standard wiring and some connectors and what notā€¦. Absolutely. But itā€™s hard to do that since everyone installs them a little different to suite their needs, which is what I did.

Jeep Gladiator D&C Designs Side Marker trim.33FA4A48-48BA-40F6-A05C-609D036705A9.MOV

So what I did, was what they recommend. Wire the white to an AUX switch and amber to The turn signal. However, I also wanted the amber on an aux switch for constant on. AND I wanted to control each light individually, so I can only turn on the right light or just the left or both. This is so if at camp I wanted working light I have white light on the side Iā€™m on and not bothering others or if I wanted just casual light to light up the ground amber would be used. So this ended up taking all 4 aux switches. (I havenā€™t used any aux switches for two years but I do plan on getting an 8 switch controller, just wanted to get these installed and see how they are until I get that controller, so donā€™t freak out people lol)

To do this is rather simpleā€¦

White light (White wire):
Drivers goes to Aux 1. Passenger goes to Aux 3. Done. Easy.

Amber light (Green wire):
You need to include a diode. I used thisā€¦

Diode CLICK HERE

The two inputs to the diode, one will be from Aux, and the other is from turn signal. Output goes to the light (Green wire).
So drivers side you have aux 2 to diode input. Turn signal tap to diode input. Diode output to new light.

repeat on passenger side but white light goes to Aux 3 and amber goes to Aux4.

Jeep Gladiator D&C Designs Side Marker trim.33FA4A48-48BA-40F6-A05C-609D036705A9.MOV

drivers side turn signal tap.

video going thru the switches and turn signal.

Now. To really see if the work for this was necessary, Iā€™ll be on the beach at night tomorrow and will take some pictures. Iā€™m hoping the amber is bright enough to light the ground at camp. If itā€™s notā€¦. Well that would suck and wasted some wire and everyone can ignore my post (minus the white lights being individually controlled cause that is nice) šŸ˜‚

initial reaction on a street with street lights. These white lights are BRIGHT. (Canā€™t believe I didnā€™t take a picture of the ground with lights on :headbang:) it made the road look like it was daylight through my tints. Definitely worth the purchase. Just gotta determine what wiring set up works best for you and your needs.

more pictures to come. šŸ‘šŸ¼
hey! How have these being holding up ? Any issues so far ? What about the diodes ?

mim planning to install it just like you, but one switch for Amber both sides and another for white on both sides as well.

OP
OP
OVRLND_G8R

OVRLND_G8R

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hey! How have these being holding up ? Any issues so far ? What about the diodes ?

mim planning to install it just like you, but one switch for Amber both sides and another for white on both sides as well.
no issues at all! Love them and love being able to do one side or the other when at camp. Works perfectly šŸ¤™šŸ¼

Sponsored

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I wonder if they are actually using mopar paint. The colors are slightly off on some and really off on others.
Best bet might be to get these shipped raw and paint it yourself if you want a near perfect match.

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
I wonder if they are actually using mopar paint. The colors are slightly off on some and really off on others.
Best bet might be to get these shipped raw and paint it yourself if you want a near perfect match.
The color on mine has definitely weathered differently than my actual paint, so you may have the right idea.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
man that was a dpressing thing to read this morning... can you share a pic to show what you mean? mine are supposed to be here Monday and I really wanted to slap them on right away - I doubt a local body shop will be willing to paint such a small job.....

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
man that was a dpressing thing to read this morning... can you share a pic to show what you mean? mine are supposed to be here Monday and I really wanted to slap them on right away - I doubt a local body shop will be willing to paint such a small job.....
I have them in billet silver. Iā€™m super ocd, and Iā€™m still ok with the ā€œreally closeā€ but not perfect color match. You can see it up close, but not from 20 feet away. I like the lights SO MUCH, that Iā€™m fine with it. I think youā€™ll be thrilled. But maybe someday Iā€™ll take them to a body shop. But Iā€™d try to do it when I want something else paint matched at the same time. Whatā€™s really great is the orange blinker color perfectly matches the OEM led blinkers. That makes me so happy. Every time I unlock or lock it, I get to see these blink. Itā€™s the little things.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
47E74B28-98A6-4210-A7AE-5B33F287D803.jpeg

29567D7A-86D9-404D-8247-94B42028BCF7.jpeg

C68C4B01-4AEE-4761-AD22-9349676101DC.jpeg

14B2BF33-C581-41AA-8889-D970C8248852.jpeg
Sponsored