Dead mouse!?!

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
Pick up an inspection camera. You can get one at Lowe's or HD for $100 or so. Usually has a 3' flexible whip on it. MIght be enough to find where the mouse is located. You could probably go in from the vent side.
Sponsored

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Welcome to the club. I found a dead mouse under my back seat.

then a pile of food on my battery. I annihilated the brush in my parking area and razed any plant within 10 feet of parking area hope it helps. But I doubt it.

good anti mouse suggestions, but as to where the corpse could be good luck it’s probably in the cabin air filter.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/mice-in-the-cab.23734/#post-478634

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Check your brake calipers as well. I picked up a rodent at the deer lease and it got smushed. The odor came in through the hvac.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Never had a dead one in vehicle, had chipmunks eat the engine cover in my wife's 13 Wrangler. Onetime after a 16 month deployment found a mouse had chewed up my owners manual and made a nest in the glove box.

Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
So with only 650 miles on it, I wonder if it sits for a while without you running it? Nothing wrong with that, but I remember reading an article earlier during the pandemic that mechanics we're seeing rats nests in the engine, because the vehicles were sitting a long time between uses.

Then when I bought the gladiator I "sold" my old car to my mother-in-law. It sat outside and wasn't run much in the few months before and sure enough she found a nest in it and had to clear it out, trust me, we heard all about it.

So lesson learned, if the vehicle is going to sit for a while, at least run it every other day or so, cuz as soon as you turn the engine on, the rodents should scurry away and not really have the time to build a nest, either that or moth balls, or whatever people use to keep them away.
If somehow you only bought a week ago and already have the 650, then it might be worth going to the dealer, as you might be able to argue the nest was there from it sitting on their lot, and they'll do "good faith" work with you. Otherwise, I'd go to a local mechanic and make sure that nest and pest is out of there. Like others said, if they gnaw on the electric, then you'll have a whole host of problems that I'm sure aren't cheap or easy to fix

OP
OP
jefflaur1

jefflaur1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Oberland
Pull the cabin filter, see if it smells worse when you do.

Behind glove box.

If you find one there, pull the engine air filter and have a look around.

Little bastards get everywhere and build nests.
Okay ..how to exactly pull the cabin filter on a gladiator?

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Cabin air filter. Had that happen to my prius at one point. Mouse had made a nest in it. I think it was from when it sat for a month when I moved or a few weeks after that when I was out of town. Thing was completely jammed up.

If any of you live out in the country I have found that mice have not messed with my K&N filters at all. Might be something about the metal they are made of. havent needed one in the JT yet, but they have been solid for a few years with multiple times of cars sitting for a week or two at a time.

Cabin Air filter is something everybody needs to know how to change. I have never seen more of a scam in my life than dealerships and air filters.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Solution to mice in the car - (this one looks like a back seat driver, to me)

Jeep Gladiator Dead mouse!?! 70199719_3229778770372314_1044705349703041024_n

Costanzio66

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee wrangler renegade
So with only 650 miles on it, I wonder if it sits for a while without you running it? Nothing wrong with that, but I remember reading an article earlier during the pandemic that mechanics we're seeing rats nests in the engine, because the vehicles were sitting a long time between uses.

Then when I bought the gladiator I "sold" my old car to my mother-in-law. It sat outside and wasn't run much in the few months before and sure enough she found a nest in it and had to clear it out, trust me, we heard all about it.

So lesson learned, if the vehicle is going to sit for a while, at least run it every other day or so, cuz as soon as you turn the engine on, the rodents should scurry away and not really have the time to build a nest, either that or moth balls, or whatever people use to keep them away.
If somehow you only bought a week ago and already have the 650, then it might be worth going to the dealer, as you might be able to argue the nest was there from it sitting on their lot, and they'll do "good faith" work with you. Otherwise, I'd go to a local mechanic and make sure that nest and pest is out of there. Like others said, if they gnaw on the electric, then you'll have a whole host of problems that I'm sure aren't cheap or easy to fix
I think only the male moth have balls, so be sure and catch the correct ones! ( ;

Costanzio66

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee wrangler renegade
Something once died in my wife's car's ventilation. I checked everywhere and never found the corpus delicti ( nor the writ of habeas corpus for that matter). I kept the windows down, and would drive it that way every nasty chance I got. Eventually, it decays or mummifies to the point of no more stench. It was pure hell. Thankfully, she has a backup car or two.
Sponsored