Sponsored

Dealers please read

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
The problem, coming someone who works in the supply chain, is that we simply don't know. Because our suppliers don't know, and our suppliers' suppliers don't know, and so on. The covid thing really is unpredictable. There are a lot less employees working, and those that are there call off a lot more from the burnout of being overworked and minimally staffed, and it becomes a vicious cycle. And then on top of that, folks keep getting sick. Not only do you lose the sick person, but the entire department or plant in some cases due to quarantining. So required output is always less than demand, because you're not getting the number of shifts you should be.

Some questions are unanswerable until day of production or shipment, such as "Will Timmy in manufacturing show up today?", Or how will our deadline change now that the entire production line is on quarantine? Or now we have product, but the driver dropped the load. What now?

Also, a lot of systems don't allocate stock realtime, like Amazon does. Amazon is the exception, not the norm. This is transparent to the end user when there is ample stock. But when there isn't, it means at pick time, if there are 2 on order, and one in stock, someone is not getting anything. Sucks, but real-time product allocation is far from universal, and this time of shortages is exposing all of the ugly flaws in the system.

Other times, we'll think we're getting something from a supplier only to find out their production was cancelled (covid, employee or supply shortage), so now we're not. Production is so tight right now that product that hasn't even been made yet is being promised, pending production. Then when someone gets covid, or something breaks, you get nothing but empty promises. So the reality is, no one knows, and that sucks for everyone. No one wants to hear "I don't know" as an answer, but I've learned many times over the last 2 years that you can be supposedly 100% certain, and still be wrong.
I completely understand the reasons for the delays. However, we all know some companies flat out lie about stock. Not all, but some.

I'm just looking for a realistic time frame. If its truly unknown, then they should say ETA Unknown. I'm okay with that. I can decide if I want to wait, find it somewhere else or move on to a different product for my needs.

Hopefully this will all go away in... 2022....2023....2024 :facepalm:
Sponsored

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Go on a 100-200mi road trip and when you first leave, pull the e-brake up 4 clicks. Come back and the problem should be fixed.
Uh, no :)
:D:D

On the topic of e-brakes, it's a little frustrating that my first vehicle in 14 years that has a lever e-brake instead of a pedal or a switch is a high COG vehicle.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I was in a Wrangler loaner for a month I'd be fine. I'm putting miles on their car for free.

If I was in a Hyundai or on my own, I'd be pissed. Overall it sounds like they are trying to take care of you.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The people complaining about "they didn't get my truck in to look at it like they said" have obviously zero experience in service, specifically a shop. Consider the Grand Cherokee I took in for a misfire a little over a year ago............ should be easy to diagnose - ok, maybe not. They spent an entire afternoon diagnosing the thing and I wonder how much they got paid by Jeep to fix it under warranty. Likely they'll never recover those hours on a spark plug change. Hours to diagnose, then how long to pull the intake and swap plugs. I bet the book allows them a couple of hours.
What about the next person in line who was told "we'll get yours looked at later today" when they didn't even finish mine until the next day.
Trust me - the delays these days are real - normally 4 or 5 service writers - down to one part of the day, two the rest of the day. Half the mechanics out because one tested positive, the others were exposed and not allowed back until they got a clean test. Phony, lies, eh?

I've worked in shops - I've been there when the boss promises someone "we'll look at it later today" and the job he'd assigned me ended up not being a simple seal change but turned into a full day's job - hoist tied up, bench tied up - so now what? Did the boss LIE? OR was it a mistake that could not be avoided.
It's always those with zero experience in service who gripe.

It's even a problem in IT - we'll get the system going in an hour the boss tells his boss who is catching complaints from remote offices. Well that Cisco update that went out last night took out a dozen ASAs - Cisco has no fix. Now people have to drive to each office and swap 'em out when they get more in two days. Anything that was going to happen that week did not because of a bad update. (and before people jump and say "you should have tested it" - we did. We had 36 ASAs at the time and those we tested worked ok, even Cisco said it had been reviewed and was shocked)

Shit happens. A bolt breaks and instead of a 1 hour job it's a 2 hour job. They can't hire staff to sit around and cover things just in case. They can only hire staff that they can keep busy and pay. No one is just sitting there waiting for one of us to drive in.

My truck was taken apart for a steering gear swap in 2020 - parts arrived the next day like they predicted (they went ahead and took it all apart so they could get it back together and out because they had other stuff that needed to come in)
And guess what - oops, missing a couple of things, can't finish it. How much time was lost and there's a truck sitting in there apart. So now a person is taking even more time to find out what happened, another is taking time to call me - sorry, it won't be today........... lost time.

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Read what I ranted about. It's not that they didn't get to it. The customer service sucks at most dealers and they think we are idiots. The lying is what bothered me. Instead of just being honest and saying they didn't get to it (which is understandable) I get a bullshit story about trying to duplicate a problem that I can duplicate right away. Then yesterday all day long, no call or answered text. I check this morning for progress and was told the mechanic had to go to a funeral yesterday, so he didn't look at it. I say, ok. please update me on what he finds out today. It's 2 and I've heard nothing. Who knows, maybe they will call today. As as being in a wrangler, I don't like it any more than I would a Hyundai. I have found that the 4 cylinder turbo is a noisy turd. I am glad I have the 3.6. And I use my truck. I have a truck bed worth of shit at my office that would usually be in my truck. So, if they were not getting to it till Friday, I could have just brought it in Friday instead of Monday.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I hear you, but I don't think you are giving the whole process and situation a fair shake either. Could the dealer be a bit more transparent and communicative? Sure. But you can say that about virtually everyone in the service industry. You'll never do enough for customers as a service provider if it isn't immediate on-demand service. And a phone call to say absolutely nothing has changed since the last conversation is honestly a waste of time. But I will give you some slack on the communication issue and agree with you there.

As for the time, nobody, and I mean nobody, is clairvoyant enough to be able to see all the facets of this situation play out in advance and know that there were going to be shop delays after your scheduled dropoff. If you go get the truck during that delay and drop it off again later, you're at the back of the queue again. Do you really want that? Probably not. Be a little more understanding on this point.

All this to say is that nobody is lying to you. They wanted to duplicate the problem themselves, which is almost always required for warranty work, but time in the schedule didn't allow them to do that. They're still working on jobs ahead of yours that require more time and attention. They're focusing on the customers that are tying up shop time today, not customers that are in the queue. That doesn't mean they lied to you. They got delayed which as we've all said happens frequently.

The only gripe that really holds up at this point is the poor communication, which you could bring up to management if you felt that strongly about it. To me, they're taking care of you in the meantime with a decent loaner and will contact you as soon as they get to your truck. Believe me when I say they don't want you in that loaner long-term, they know you're waiting.

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hear you, but I don't think you are giving the whole process and situation a fair shake either. Could the dealer be a bit more transparent and communicative? Sure. But you can say that about virtually everyone in the service industry. You'll never do enough for customers as a service provider if it isn't immediate on-demand service. And a phone call to say absolutely nothing has changed since the last conversation is honestly a waste of time. But I will give you some slack on the communication issue and agree with you there.

As for the time, nobody, and I mean nobody, is clairvoyant enough to be able to see all the facets of this situation play out in advance and know that there were going to be shop delays after your scheduled dropoff. If you go get the truck during that delay and drop it off again later, you're at the back of the queue again. Do you really want that? Probably not. Be a little more understanding on this point.

All this to say is that nobody is lying to you. They wanted to duplicate the problem themselves, which is almost always required for warranty work, but time in the schedule didn't allow them to do that. That doesn't mean they lied to you. They got delayed which as we've all said happens frequently.

The only gripe that really holds up at this point is the poor communication, which you could bring up to management if you felt that strongly about it.
I told them the first morning I can duplicate it out front, right away. Instantaneously
So you are saying they wanted to duplicate it overnight but when they parked it, they didn't have time to park it on an incline right out front but had the time to park it three buildings over in a flat parking spot?
queue shit, I don't care about being in one. I've been popping this thing for months while they have not fixed it. I have a truck because I need a truck. For work, for my drums, etc. I just need to plan differently if I'm not gonna have it.
This started with bring it monday, I can show him what it's doing and get it fixed or the right parts ordered. Then it was there are two cars ahead of me and they took me to work. Then at the end of the day, I chase him down with a phone and he tells me the bullshit parking on an incline story. Then I had to say, "what am I going to drive, I'm stuck at work" then they get me the rental. The general theme is dealer customer service sucks mostly, all of them. I will not buy another new vehicle but I do feel lucky that I found one I want to keep. I do what I say I will do. And if I screw up, I own it and try not to screw up again. A lost concept at car dealerships it seems.

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, now I’ve left them alone for 2 more full days. Sounds like it just needed an adjustment. No phone call, no text message, no email. They’ve had my truck almost five days. I think it’s long enough to adjust something or order parts for an easily duplicated not over complicated issue. Go ahead tell me about the pandemic and maple syrup.

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, now I’ve left them alone for 2 more full days. Sounds like it just needed an adjustment. No phone call, no text message, no email. They’ve had my truck almost five days. I think it’s long enough to adjust something or order parts for an easily duplicated not over complicated issue. Go ahead tell me about the pandemic and maple syrup.
Got it back today. No problem found. I gave them videos of the problem, offered to drive with the mechanic, and they already threw some parts at it which I thought meant they understood there is a problem. . I would not let the douche noodles touch my truck ever again. Not that they really touched it. They let it sit for five days and gave it back. I will try and fix it myself and replace my batteries with good ones. Hopefully everything else holds up.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This is the part that is inexcusable. I've worked as both a service writer and as a tech at a car dealer.

Our manager and the dealer owner HAMMERED into the service writers that if a car wasn't gong to be done when promised we were to let the customer know as soon as we knew. If things were chaotic the owner would come help in service. 5hit happens. Sometimes you can't keep promises, but if the customer is notified in a timely manner and feels that you are sincerely working towards a resolution, they are usually happy.

But the reality is that for most of the day things are not chaotic in service. You are busy in the morning when people drop off their cars, a bit during lunch, then crazy at the end of the day.

The first thing in the morning appointments were typically services, specifically "waits" where the customer was waiting for their car. If something needed to be fixed during a wait, then we typically diagnosed and then ordered the part and sent the customer on his way if the problem wasn't destructive. This worked because we COMMUNICATED and set the expecation with the customer that it probably wouldn't be fixed on the first "wait" appointment.

All along way the mantra was communicate, communicate, communicate.

Its not rocket surgery.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is the part that is inexcusable. I've worked as both a service writer and as a tech at a car dealer.

Our manager and the dealer owner HAMMERED into the service writers that if a car wasn't gong to be done when promised we were to let the customer know as soon as we knew. If things were chaotic the owner would come help in service. 5hit happens. Sometimes you can't keep promises, but if the customer is notified in a timely manner and feels that you are sincerely working towards a resolution, they are usually happy.

But the reality is that for most of the day things are not chaotic in service. You are busy in the morning when people drop off their cars, a bit during lunch, then crazy at the end of the day.

The first thing in the morning appointments were typically services, specifically "waits" where the customer was waiting for their car. If something needed to be fixed during a wait, then we typically diagnosed and then ordered the part and sent the customer on his way if the problem wasn't destructive. This worked because we COMMUNICATED and set the expecation with the customer that it probably wouldn't be fixed on the first "wait" appointment.

All along way the mantra was communicate, communicate, communicate.

Its not rocket surgery.
What really pisses me off is keeping it almost a week, then saying there is no problem. I have video of the problem and I can reproduce it anytime. I have a family member go in the hospital last night, so I have to deal with that before I re-address this. Funny, got a survey request from them this morning. I guess they are just being mean. LOL

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is why I've said many times on this forum, its sad that its necessary, but you should wait for the truck with instructions given that if they can't reproduce it they should come to see you in the waiting area.

the problem is the flat rate system doesn't pay techs to diagnose problems, just to change parts. So that's what they do.

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I've said many times on this forum, its sad that its necessary, but you should wait for the truck with instructions given that if they can't reproduce it they should come to see you in the waiting area.

the problem is the flat rate system doesn't pay techs to diagnose problems, just to change parts. So that's what they do.
they had the video and i offered to show the tech. they are the ones who said they understood and took me back to work. And for the week they had my truck, if they could not reproduce, maybe a phone call. I could gone right up and showed them.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
they had the video and i offered to show the tech. they are the ones who said they understood and took me back to work. And for the week they had my truck, if they could not reproduce, maybe a phone call. I could gone right up and showed them.
I understand. You went 90% of the way towards actually showing them.
And if they had half a brain or one ounce of customer service attitude what you did would be enough.

you allowed them one tiny way to wiggle out and they did.

I am not blaming you.

But if you wait with the vehicle you can always make sure they see the proboem.

I've left instructions to come get me if they couldn't reproduce a problem. Then they tell me the car is all set and I look at the RO and there is the dreaded "could not duplicate". So I said I want them to re-open the RO and have the tech come into the waiting room so I could show him.

The tech didn't want to do it because its a "come back" and he won't get paid. I get the service manager and tell him I want a different tech. He says ok. 20 min later another tech (who will get paid for the fix so is more likely to fix it) comes in, I demonstrate the problem. He makes a quick diagnosis and fixes the car in an hour. The first tech is charged back so he doesn't get paid anyway.

The issue was ridiculously simple. The auto open hatch wasn't opening all the way. Super easy to diagnose. When it opened, you had to grab it and push it open 6 inches or it would wack you in the head. I guess the first tech didn't realize it was supposed to open more. The second tech instantly saw that I had to pushi it open the last 6 inches and waspped out the struts. Problem solved.

You shouldn't have to do this. But if you want to maximize the chance that the item will get fixed first time, waiting with the car is what you need to do.

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I understand. You went 90% of the way towards actually showing them.
And if they had half a brain or one ounce of customer service attitude what you did would be enough.

you allowed them one tiny way to wiggle out and they did.

I am not blaming you.

But if you wait with the vehicle you can always make sure they see the proboem.

I've left instructions to come get me if they couldn't reproduce a problem. Then they tell me the car is all set and I look at the RO and there is the dreaded "could not duplicate". So I said I want them to re-open the RO and have the tech come into the waiting room so I could show him.

The tech didn't want to do it because its a "come back" and he won't get paid. I get the service manager and tell him I want a different tech. He says ok. 20 min later another tech (who will get paid for the fix so is more likely to fix it) comes in, I demonstrate the problem. He makes a quick diagnosis and fixes the car in an hour. The first tech is charged back so he doesn't get paid anyway.

The issue was ridiculously simple. The auto open hatch wasn't opening all the way. Super easy to diagnose. When it opened, you had to grab it and push it open 6 inches or it would wack you in the head. I guess the first tech didn't realize it was supposed to open more. The second tech instantly saw that I had to pushi it open the last 6 inches and waspped out the struts. Problem solved.

You shouldn't have to do this. But if you want to maximize the chance that the item will get fixed first time, waiting with the car is what you need to do.
I will address it later. Turns out my mother has cancer. Been at the hospital all week trying to figure out how bad. Hopefully the tech doesn’t have a doctor relative.
Sponsored