Death Wobble Cause found article

josephtai3

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
You told me nothing I did not already know. I am talking about stock out the gate new?
I had a brand new 2011 rubicon unlimited. Bone stock til I traded in for my JT. Death wobble multiple occasions. Replaced dampener. No more wobble.
Sponsored

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
The steering damper is a band-aid fix at best. Ask me how I know this.

When experiencing Death Wobble (not steering shimmy), the root cause is always traced back to worn/loose components and larger tires with lift with fixed control arms that do not allow for proper Caster. Bent rims and out of balance tires are also a verified cause. A loose sector shaft, worn steering box is also a cause.

If you were to install a new steering stabilizer and called everything "fixed" your prognosis is hopeful at best.

The bad ball joints are still hard at work,wearing down that new steering stabilizer.

The worn trackbar mounting hole is still ovaling out the mount contributing to your overall steering health.

Those worn control arm bushings are still grinding down, leading some of you to sell your Gladiators to buy a Bronco or a Tacoma.

There are a number of videos on YouTube that explain the true causes of Death Wobble - all negating the claim that a steering stabilizer is the root cause and therefore solution to curing and solving Death Wobble.

On my 2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, I fought Death Wobble for several months while insisting on running a used set of 35" BFG All Terrains before bolting on a new set of 35" BFG KMĀ², changing out the 4" Pro-Comp lift on 1" spacers front/rear, for a 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty long arm suspension, brand new ball joints, a good alignment at 4 Wheel Parts and a heavy METALCLOAK trackbar with the Duroflex bushing. I haven't had a single episode of Death Wobble since.

If I was to stay with the 5" stacked Pro-Comp lift and simply change out the $40 steering stabilizer for another white shock/generic, I would be ignoring all of the research. Oh, I run a heavy duty Fox stabilizer just for added insurance as I daily drove my 2003 to work/back 60 miles daily to work.

If anyone has problems or questions about Death Wobble, I am pretty good at diagnosing the problem.

I took delivery if my Gladiator 1 month ago, and I am so glad to be here!:like:

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

When experiencing Death Wobble (not steering shimmy), the root cause is always traced back to worn/loose components and larger tires with lift with fixed control arms that do not allow for proper Caster. Bent rims and out of balance tires are also a verified cause. A loose sector shaft, worn steering box is also a cause.

If you were to install a new steering stabilizer and called everything "fixed" your prognosis is hopeful at best.

The bad ball joints are still hard at work,wearing down that new steering stabilizer.

The worn trackbar mounting hole is still ovaling out the mount contributing to your overall steering health.

Those worn control arm bushings are still grinding down, leading some of you to sell your Gladiators to buy a Bronco or a Tacoma.

There are a number of videos on YouTube that explain the true causes of Death Wobble - all negating the claim that a steering stabilizer is the root cause and therefore solution to curing and solving Death Wobble.

On my 2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, I fought Death Wobble for several months while insisting on running a used set of 35" BFG All Terrains before bolting on a new set of 35" BFG KMĀ², changing out the 4" Pro-Comp lift on 1" spacers front/rear, for a 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty long arm suspension, brand new ball joints, a good alignment at 4 Wheel Parts and a heavy METALCLOAK trackbar with the Duroflex bushing. I haven't had a single episode of Death Wobble since.

If I was to stay with the 5" stacked Pro-Comp lift and simply change out the $40 steering stabilizer for another white shock/generic, I would be ignoring all of the research. Oh, I run a heavy duty Fox stabilizer just for added insurance as I daily drove my 2003 to work/back 60 miles daily to work.

If anyone has problems or questions about Death Wobble, I am pretty good at diagnosing the problem.

so does death wobble happen more with the moded jeeps than stock jeeps?

I seem to read a lot of people mad at Jeep for the death wobble, but if its from modding the crap out of them causing wear and tear.......what do people expect? moded things need regular maintenance.

Can you slap on a supercharger, to your factory vehicle, blow your motor and expect it to be fixed under warranty?

now if totally stock vehicles are having "the death wobble", I can understand their frustrations completely.

Sponsored

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so does death wobble happen more with the moded jeeps than stock jeeps?

I seem to read a lot of people mad at Jeep for the death wobble, but if its from modding the crap out of them causing wear and tear.......what do people expect? moded things need regular maintenance.

Can you slap on a supercharger, to your factory vehicle, blow your motor and expect it to be fixed under warranty?

now if totally stock vehicles are having "the death wobble", I can understand their frustrations completely.
This issue appears to come from stock rather than modified Jeeps. If you remember, the JL suffered from a small batch of vehicles with improperly welded trackbar mounts that led to Death Wobble months ago.

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/19/jeep-wrangler-death-wobble-nhtsa/

It would take some investigating to see exactly where lies the problem on a new, not worn and modified Gladiator.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
hey @Ole Cowboy , what say you about death wobble? you've been around the block twice or more.
I kept up with this thread for a short time but quit for the single reason there is more wrong than right on here, I will post another thread where I discuss DW. Few people understand it and state things that are not factually true, no need to pointing any of that or them out.

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The above images were taken from my Facebook page 'Baja Pole Line Group'. If/when Facebook becomes aware of remote linking, they will likely pull this information down from Gladiator Forum.

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired

You have a lot of good things to say...HOWEVER PLEASE do not call the Steering Stabilizer a Band-aid. A Band-aid is something you put on a problem after you have incurred that problem. The SS is an integral component of the steering and suspension system.

Mallai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S 2019 KTM 1290 R 2018 KTM 300 XC-W
I have 400 miles on my Gladiator. I recently replaced the stabilizer with a new Fox unit. The stock vehicle ā€œwanderedā€ all over the road and I just couldnā€™t deal with it. The Fox stabilizer tightened the steering up perfectly. But now I have major DW and donā€™t know what to do. Jeep will probably give me a hard time because I changed the stock stabilizer. Iā€™m driving to Georgia in it next week (1800 miles) and donā€™t know what I can do. Iā€™m really not at all happy with this purchase, coming from a perfectly good ā€˜17 Ram 1500. What would you do?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You have a lot of good things to say...HOWEVER PLEASE do not call the Steering Stabilizer a Band-aid. A Band-aid is something you put on a problem after you have incurred that problem. The SS is an integral component of the steering and suspension system.
Even in the 1980s it was integral. It shouldn't be used to fix issues of worn or damaged parts or POOR design or modifications that put the thing outside of the borders of its engineering, but it's been a part of 4x4s for decades as shown here - 1982, factory design -
Jeep Gladiator Death Wobble Cause found article {filename}

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 400 miles on my Gladiator. I recently replaced the stabilizer with a new Fox unit. The stock vehicle ā€œwanderedā€ all over the road and I just couldnā€™t deal with it. The Fox stabilizer tightened the steering up perfectly. But now I have major DW and donā€™t know what to do. Jeep will probably give me a hard time because I changed the stock stabilizer. Iā€™m driving to Georgia in it next week (1800 miles) and donā€™t know what I can do. Iā€™m really not at all happy with this purchase, coming from a perfectly good ā€˜17 Ram 1500. What would you do?
1. Make sure that your new steering stabilizer is bolted on without any play in it.

2. Is the front track bar loose? Can you make sure the hardware is torqued well?

3. Are your tie rod ends nice and snug?

I would definitely take your Gladiator into the dealership to have them look at these components. Your new steering stabilizer isn't going to void the warranty.

Did you add larger tires and a lift @Mallai ?

Mallai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S 2019 KTM 1290 R 2018 KTM 300 XC-W
1. Make sure that your new steering stabilizer is bolted on without any play in it.

2. Is the front track bar loose? Can you make sure the hardware is torqued well?

3. Are your tie rod ends nice and snug?

I would definitely take your Gladiator into the dealership to have them look at these components. Your new steering stabilizer isn't going to void the warranty.

Did you add larger tires and a lift @Mallai ?
Thanks for the reply..
When the DW happened, it was at 70 mph and I thought something had broken underneath, it was that violent..I initially didn't know what was going on..I immediately thought the new stabilizer snapped somehow..

Why would Mopar allow this to go out like this?..If this has been an ongoing problem, why wasn't it addressed?..I mean WTF?
If I had done my due diligence properly, I would have never bought this "truck" knowing this problem..Hell, just having to put in a new stabilizer just to keep the thing running straight would've been a deal breaker..

I'm gonna try and re-torque the bolts on all the hardware..but I have a feeling I'm f*ucked like everybody else.
Not looking forward to 1800 miles in this inferior vehicle..

Thanks again..
Sponsored