Defroster issues??

EastAmherstJT

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I’ll let you know in a month or so when winter arrives in Buffalo. I did watch the video and if you notice they had the auto climate on set at only 68 degrees. That doesn’t seem nearly hot enough when it’s 9 degrees out.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Those two are either Drama Lamas, or they have the worst luck in every vehicle they seem to drive.

I have no issue nor do I think what they are experiencing is common.

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It was an issue for me on my JT as well as my JKU. But only during heavy wet snow storms. I love in NE Ohio

What I find that helps (not cures) is to turn on max window defroster and put your sun visors all the way down and far forward. It acts to push the warm air back down across windshield. Also I use RainX windshield fluid.

Regardless, in heavy snow storms I still get the build up.

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Don't use Rain-X original water repellent (or equivalent type of product) before winter, it will cause moisture to bead up and freeze in beads on the edges of windshield that will not defrost and continually keep building up in time until you have to manually scrape off. Similar to the above video, but worse.

F winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Took the Gladiator to the dealership to have them check out the defroster and they said it was a fault of Jeep in designing that way in all of their Wranglers. So consequently it's normal.

Last edited:

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The Comments of the TFL video referenced this 30 page thread over on JLWranglerForums:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/question-regarding-the-windsheld-defrost.15276/

A lot of people seem to be using 1" plastic square tubing plugs and blocking off the 12-16 plugs in the middle of the dash. Posts say enough air gets around the plugs to still defrost the center of the windshield properly but forces enough air to the sides to get the full windshield.

In some of the posts they show the ventilation diagram from jeep and the defrost basically has two tubes that come up right in the middle of the defrost vent with no deflection to the sides so almost all of it just comes out the center.

@steffen707 looks to have participated in that thread and used plugs successfully on his Gladiator in Wisconsin winters.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The Comments of the TFL video referenced this 30 page thread over on JLWranglerForums:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/question-regarding-the-windsheld-defrost.15276/

A lot of people seem to be using 1" plastic square tubing plugs and blocking off the 12-16 plugs in the middle of the dash. Posts say enough air gets around the plugs to still defrost the center of the windshield properly but forces enough air to the sides to get the full windshield.

In some of the posts they show the ventilation diagram from jeep and the defrost basically has two tubes that come up right in the middle of the defrost vent with no deflection to the sides so almost all of it just comes out the center.

@steffen707 looks to have participated in that thread and used plugs successfully on his Gladiator in Wisconsin winters.
Right you are! I bought these october 10th of last year, https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Square-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

they work pretty well, occaisionally a few pop off and fly onto the floor. Like 2-4 of them per year.

At first I put 4 in a row then 1 empty spot. I've settled on all of them in the middle blocked, because even when all of them are plugged, some air gets passed and still defrosts the middle of the windshield.
Sponsored