Design of under seat storage flawed?

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I get it. But I just wonder if Jeep gets your sense of humor, doubt it.
I hope that they don't.

I hope they read it and realize that failing to deliver the advertised product is unacceptable and as a result sort their fecal matter into a neat little pile.

I haven't paid for it yet, and about one more thing "becomes unavailable at this time" and I won't.

I ain't hard up, and I ain't walking either
Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Jeep advertises that you can get a base Sport model with manual windows, mirrors and locks. And they advertise that you can get a manual transmission. I went to a local dealership about a week ago and I asked them to do a dealership search throughout the entire United States. And they could not find one single base Sport model truck. And they also could not find one single truck with a manual transmission. I thought that false and misleading advertising was against the law. To me if you say you can get it equipped a certain way then they have to build it that way. I am not an attorney but this is false advertising in my humble opinion.

Does anyone know of any base Sport models that were actually built and sold already or of any manual transmissions that have been built and sold already? Love to know if Big Foot really ever exists. Or is this a myth created by the dream team at Jeep?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I don't follow what's going on in this thread.

I have the Cargo Management package with the lockable storage under the seat. The box is bolted to the floor. So, if I lock it with my key there's no way to get inside OR take the box. Well, I guess you could if you had a pry bar.

It was never meant to be portable. It's vehicle storage. If you want something you can grab and take with you, that's where aftermarket cases and safes come into play.​

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
Does anyone know of any base Sport models that were actually built and sold already or of any manual transmissions that have been built and sold already? Love to know if Big Foot really ever exists. Or is this a myth created by the dream team at Jeep?
You can order a manual transmission with the features you want. Although I know people do want that Jeep, you're competing with three things: most people don't want a manual, most people want some features, and finally there is more profit in the upgrades so they get added to the dealer spec units. If you want a bone stock manual Jeep, order one. They don't have to keep a vehicle with every possible combination of options and colors to meet their advertisement, so good luck with a lawsuit.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah, just because Jeep hasn't built a Sport yet doesn't mean they aren't getting ready to. So false advertising doesn't come into play. And, as mentioned you can order a truck any way you want right now.

Personally I have no idea why a guy would want a Sport. I did that once with a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited. It sucked. Having to reach around the B-pillar from the outside to manually unlock the rear doors each day absolutely sucked. Having to unlock the rear gate with the key everytime I needed to load something sucked. Having to stop and pull over when my kid wanted his rear window rolled down sucked. The entire thing was a circus. So, after 12 months of that crap I turned it in for a Sport S!

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Sorry Pion but you got my post all wrong. I am talking not just about me but more importantly about the many people on this forum who want various different things. Some want a base Sport model. Some want a manual transmission. Some want manual windows, mirrors and locks. And some others just want to have their trucks built.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
So this has been in the back of my mind since I first saw/heard about the backseat lockable storage. I feel like the design is flawed...hear me out..

So I see the box as a place to throw things, secure it and get out quickly as needed. For your fisherman, perhaps some collapsible poles, baits, etc, the gun range person, some guns and ammo, mechanic, some basic tools.

The issue is: You can't have both.. you can either use the box as a permanent storage, secured but unmovable, OR as a removable locked box, that's not really secure because someone can just take the whole box.

By this I mean, in order for you to lock it and secure it, the box has to be bolted in meaning you could not remove it easily. You would have to unlock it, unscrew it and then remove it. Or you leave the bolts out, but then someone could just take the box and bust it open in the comfort of their own home..

I would like to see a mod that allows you to quickly secure/unsecure the box to the truck. Perhaps some sort of two piece slot system. a U shape bolted to the truck, with a male end O that slides into the U and some sort of mechanism to lock it in place that's accessible.

Hope this all makes sense. I just love the removable/lockable box but feels it falls short of its real potential.

My thought was of old school hood pins (Rods with threaded ends and holes in the rod at the other end) Thread them into the holes that the bolts would go into and put a suitcase type lock or cotter pin in a couple of them after setting the box down on them. If you wanna remove the box like a portable gun case... open it, pop the 2 locks off, close the lid and lift.
Personally I’m thinking of NOT getting the rail package. Without it, you just get a plastic U-shaped wall type thing to divide off the under seat storage area. My thought is to add a couple rotating latch type locks that will catch the frame (or a loop I add to the frame) to lock the seat bottoms down to the retaining wall.

OP
OP

alwyslpy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
I don't follow what's going on in this thread.

I have the Cargo Management package with the lockable storage under the seat. The box is bolted to the floor. So, if I lock it with my key there's no way to get inside OR take the box. Well, I guess you could if you had a pry bar.

It was never meant to be portable. It's vehicle storage. If you want something you can grab and take with you, that's where aftermarket cases and safes come into play.​
Kind of my point. It's a missed opportunity. They advertise it as a place to put tools, guns, fishing gear, etc. Would have been great to have made it detach easier so u can grab and go, and relock without opening it and messing with bolts. Not saying there is anything wrong with it, just that it could be way better with a bit of forward thinking.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I’ve seen several base Sport models in the North Atlanta Metro area, but all after the MT shutdown. I actually own a manual, purchased at the end of September. It’s a Sport S.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I waited until the Gobi color was available for order and tried to order one with the 6 speed MT. My dealer called back about an hour later with apologies, said Jeep responded that the MT is “on hold” with no ETA. THAT settled it. I found my Sting Gray MT on line and drove 250 miles each way the next day and snatched it up. The gray was my 2ed color choice anyway and I’m 100% satisfied. So glad I took the plunge before the manuals dried up!

Clay

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
Leeches that like plastic (credit cards)!
Sponsored