Sponsored

Did you inspect your JT after delivered to dealer, or ship sight unseen. What would you do?

Mikeaviator13

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2014 JKU
Important question?

What is every ones thoughts, that have ordered from far away flying to the dealer and driving home vs shipping.

For me the flight is 80$ one way but 900 mile drive home. 11 hrs.
Shipping is around $600 (online search) which is doable if I go that route.

Do you feel its necessary to travel to the dealer to take deliver or will I be good to go if I have it shipped. Will I miss out on any details, info, inspections etc?

I ordered from Gupton TN. I live in FL.
Sponsored

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
I have purchased several cars unseen and had shipped to me. Everything from Lamborghini and Ferrari to classic Ford Model T’s. I have never received one without some type of issue I would have noticed had I been there in person. Sometimes minor and sometimes more serious. Every time I tell myself never again. Decide convenience vs. potential issues. If I were you, I’d go see it in person and do a thorough test drive before singing on the dotted line. Good luck!

Raton Pass

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I bought mine 200 miles away at a small town dealer & they delivered it sight unseen saving $2000. over big city dealers.

I was missing the hard top tool kit but they shipped it to me.

Just check your window sticker and confirm it’s all there.

Jeep Wave is always there for any issue.

Used is another story.

IslandFalconer

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, BMW R9T, BMW X4M40i
Occupation
Falconer
I’ve had cars and trucks and boats shipped to me. They all arrive with some form of damage. It’s a real pain in the A$$. And than you have to get it fixed and figure out who’s going to cover the cost of it. And all the wasted time that also goes in to it. Just fly there and inspect it. And drive it home. I’m never buying anything and having it shipped again. It’s not worth it. In all my shipping of vehicle experiences the only vehicle I’ve ever received Undamaged was my BMW Motorcycle and that’s because it was shipped to me in the factory crate!

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
I’ve had cars and trucks and boats shipped to me. They all arrive with some form of damage. It’s a real pain in the A$$. And than you have to get it fixed and figure out who’s going to cover the cost of it. And all the wasted time that also goes in to it. Just fly there and inspect it. And drive it home. I’m never buying anything and having it shipped again. It’s not worth it. In all my shipping of vehicle experiences the only vehicle I’ve ever received Undamaged was my BMW Motorcycle and that’s because it was shipped to me in the factory crate!
Agreed!

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I'll start with Part one Shipping a vehicle. I've shipped my MJ to and back from Germany end result damaged both ways, I'd been better off selling it before I left Germany and buying another one after returning to USA.
Part #2 and order to spec.
My MJ was supposed to be ready for me when I arrived in USA at St. Louis for me when I got home from Germany in 91 nope...... (F###### by AAFES car sales build to order) "now I've already made 4-5 payments on it" 2 or so months later, I went to inspect all ok had to get a bunch of paperwork together on it, next day made it back Stealership in (Louisville KY) swapped out the full size spare with donut spare (like a dumbass I didn't think to "re-check" the spare) and they used as a demo ride??) and barely enough gas to get to gas station. Mopar cut me a "$500 check" for my inconvenience that expired before delivery too. :headbang: I still have it some where. Details of why I didn't just cancel the order I had already spent $2000 on it and stuck due to AAFES sales.
I bought my LJ (dealership swap) when arrived all four tires and rims damaged and had to be replaced. Round #3: my JT a dealership swap, dealership got it, inspected, filled tank and detailed. I picked it up on way to work with 217 miles on it. Dealership offered to deliver to my place, next morning dealership had guy ready to follow me home with it. I drove my LJ with new clutch had just installed. I found nothing other than license plate bracket missing. So one out of 4 times no damages.
If I was to choose I'd pick up in person always and double check everything.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I think you are better served going and picking up in person. Better to inspect at the delivering dealership and get any small problems resolved there. Having it shipped just adds an extra layer of complication and brings in a third party that give the selling dealership an out to blame.

Mchannell

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Unlimited Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Home theater tech
Important question?

What is every ones thoughts, that have ordered from far away flying to the dealer and driving home vs shipping.

Do you feel its necessary to travel to the dealer to take deliver or will I be good to go if I have it shipped. Will I miss out on any details, info, inspections etc?

I picked up and inspected at dealer. There is a checklist somewhere in this forum that is really good as a reference. Mine was missing the Bluetooth speaker and top removal tool set. Had to sign document for the missing items and they shipped to me quickly.

OP
OP
Mikeaviator13

Mikeaviator13

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2014 JKU
Thanks everyone. Nice to hear input just the way I was leaning.... Plane tix are now around $50 and Ill be making the flight and drive home. I already sent the dealer the 2 checklist from the forum and suggested he send to the vehicle intake guy, as that's the sheets Ill be refencing for my inspection.
Thanks guys

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
There are a bunch of people that have them shipped no issue. However, a buddy of mine bought a F-150 unseen while we were deployed and had it shipped to base so it would be there when we got back. Along the way (unknown to him) it got damaged by rocks. He had already signed the papers and now had a new rock damaged truck. I’d fly out and drive back for peace of mind.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks everyone. Nice to hear input just the way I was leaning.... Plane tix are now around $50 and Ill be making the flight and drive home. I already sent the dealer the 2 checklist from the forum and suggested he send to the vehicle intake guy, as that's the sheets Ill be refencing for my inspection.
Thanks guys
Dealership PDI guys if they even get your checklist, are going to throw it in the trash and tell you they did it and just follow whatever they normally do. Nobody likes checklist from third parties telling them how to do their job.

OP
OP
Mikeaviator13

Mikeaviator13

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2014 JKU
Dealership PDI guys if they even get your checklist, are going to throw it in the trash and tell you they did it and just follow whatever they normally do. Nobody likes checklist from third parties telling them how to do their job.
Im sure youre right. Guess they'll be pretty embarrassed when I inquire why certain things are missing or not been Q/A-ed properly. They can throw it away all they want. It cost me an email to send it along.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Im sure youre right. Guess they'll be pretty embarrassed when I inquire why certain things are missing or not been Q/A-ed properly. They can throw it away all they want. It cost me an email to send it along.
Best inspection will be your inspection. When I traveled to Tri-City to pick mine up, they let me go in the service bay when it was getting PDI'd to discover they had the wrong one in the service bay. So though you are probably buying a $50K+ vehicle, it is just a commodity to them and nothing special they are going to give that extra special attention to detail you want.

OP
OP
Mikeaviator13

Mikeaviator13

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2014 JKU
Best inspection will be your inspection. When I traveled to Tri-City to pick mine up, they let me go in the service bay when it was getting PDI'd to discover they had the wrong one in the service bay. So though you are probably buying a $50K+ vehicle, it is just a commodity to them and nothing special they are going to give that extra special attention to detail you want.
100% agree.
And after reading the responses here, it reconfirms my commitment to fly up and drive the 11hrs home.
Thanks for the additional insight/experience.

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
Important question?

I agree that you should inspect and test drive in Person-damage happens and sometimes they try to hide it with touch up. I, personally, Prefer to order locally and get them to match price as I have found over the years that You just get better Service if your Vehicle was purchased from the Dealer that services it!
Sponsored