Sponsored

Diesel or Gasser... Which to order?

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
My family was up in Colorado with both our Jeeps. JT diesel and a 2020 WK2 Overland w/ Hifh Altitude bells and whistles and the 3.6.

I could easily pull away from her on mountain passes. She lept off the line better, but 1 second after turbo spooled up, I pulled and past her.

I couldn’t imagine the gasser in the JT, that seems terrible.

I test drive the gasser jt and definitely preferred the torque and power delivery of the diesel.

Yeah, it will cost more up front and over life of the rig, but smiles per mile is worth it.
Sponsored

maligator

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD Willys 2021 Hyundai Veloster N DCT
Occupation
Programmer
This is a tough question. I wanted a diesel and it sucks because in forums you are going to get more input from people that have had problems than the people that didn't. I got a diesel and I hope I don't have a horror story to add to everybody's anxiety at some point.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Gas w a super charger :rock:

Fungshui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This is a tough question. I wanted a diesel and it sucks because in forums you are going to get more input from people that have had problems than the people that didn't. I got a diesel and I hope I don't have a horror story to add to everybody's anxiety at some point.
My exact thoughts as well regarding the diesel . I have been struggling with between gas and diesel for over a month now but am now ready to order a JTRD.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I was barely out of the dealer (out of state) before I had DEF issues which equals undriveable vehicle. I'm lucky to live in a free state so off came every stitch of DEF and emissions equipment in favor of conservative clean tuning.
Nothing against Mr. ckage83, but be aware there is no such thing as a "free state" when it comes to emissions equipment. OK, maybe your state doesn't do inspections so, technically, you can get away with modifying or removing emissions equipment. But the fact is the laws against doing this are federal laws.

And be aware the EPA is really cracking down on people who modify or remove emissions equipment on diesel pickup trucks. Specifically, they are busting shops who tweak diesels and vendors who sell custom chips so the owners can "Roll Coal". But they're also busting shops who make performance tweaks on diesel pickup trucks.

I'm not expressing opinion on doing this. What you do to your truck is your business and not mine. I'm simply sharing some facts to help people decide for themselves. So, in case you're thinking about buying a diesel Gladiator and "removing all the crap", please take some time to think hard about it. :)

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
IF you are a impatient man and don't want to be bothered by things or don't have mechanical skills, get a gasser. EcoD if you are willing to work though issues and have patients. Dealers have little to no clue what to do with the EcoD and that seems to be a large part of the irate people here who hate theirs after they have had a issue. Parts are also hard to come by with supply chain crunch. But I suspect that is for any car right now except for a maybe a LS or SB350.

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
This isn't really anything new, the invention of widespread urea filters was the end of diesel being a known and economical commodity. Fact of the matter is diesel exhaust is toxic to human health. I have a family full of FDNY vets and some are apart of the many of that generation who are dying of cancers related to constant exposure to diesel fumes back at the station (and smoke inhalation stuff has also come a long way while also doing the job).

It's not just hypocritical liberals buying products made dirty overseas judging us, diesel is some bad shit. I used to think, fine, put all this crap on and let us modders take them off, we're a smaller drop in the bucket and it won't matter but within the past few years we've learned diesel defeats are on most vehicles in the US.

Bottom line I think diesel is going to suck for commercial fleets up until the point electric vehicles can fill the gap. If we can store enough power, you want to talk about torque and good stuff for off-roading and trucks, electric engine potential are f'n siiiiiiick and far out weigh what we're currently able to get out of gasoline/diesel.
LOL any exhaust is going to kill you... ANY.

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
This isn't really anything new, the invention of widespread urea filters was the end of diesel being a known and economical commodity. Fact of the matter is diesel exhaust is toxic to human health. I have a family full of FDNY vets and some are apart of the many of that generation who are dying of cancers related to constant exposure to diesel fumes back at the station (and smoke inhalation stuff has also come a long way while also doing the job).

It's not just hypocritical liberals buying products made dirty overseas judging us, diesel is some bad shit. I used to think, fine, put all this crap on and let us modders take them off, we're a smaller drop in the bucket and it won't matter but within the past few years we've learned diesel defeats are on most vehicles in the US.

Bottom line I think diesel is going to suck for commercial fleets up until the point electric vehicles can fill the gap. If we can store enough power, you want to talk about torque and good stuff for off-roading and trucks, electric engine potential are f'n siiiiiiick and far out weigh what we're currently able to get out of gasoline/diesel.
Where exactly are you going to get the electricity for these batters again? Where are you going to get batteries from? What are you going to do with these batteries after they are worn out?

Sponsored

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
So if you were going to order today, would you go Diesel or Gasser? I am on the fence about trading my Gasser for the Diesel. I feel the torque and extra mpg would be a benefit. I know the extra mpg is not reason enough to trade for the diesel, and I am fully aware of the premium you pay for the diesel option.

Here is my daily usage: average 50 miles to/from work and probably another 50 or so in end around errand driving. Don't really tow much so the loss in tow capacity isn't a factor. Do get offroad, so the extra low end torque would be beneficial.

I have heard of a lot of problems with the diesel Gladiator, mostly DEF tank/pump related, but then again the ones you mostly hear from are the ones with problems, so I take that as a grain of salt.

Real world Gladiator diesel experience would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your thoughts/comments. If you traded from gasser to diesel or the other way around, please comment as well.
If you dont plan on towing things up to 7k pounds and you want great fuel mileage with big wheels and tires go with a diesel,eitherway it will handle the weight cause it's a diesel and your fuel mileage won't be hurt so bad if you got a heavy stuff in the back like a full size spare bed rack and all that fancy jazz,since I used my old gasser for offroad and planned to some more with bigger tires I traded it in for a diesel cause i rarely tow anything and honestly I just wanted the diesel cause fuel mileage is really good even with big wheels and tires,if your like me a diesel JT would be perfect man 😁

flyil

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator HA Snazzberry
I waffled over two identical trucks, one diesel and one gas. I went with gas. The financials were pretty close. (would need about 100k miles to get back the $)

I opted for the simplicity of the gasser. Less worry on a few levels - emissions, fuel availability, repair costs. I also didn't want to have to learn another thing - diesel engine ownership - for what seemed like an uncertain benefit.

Also didn't want to take the towing and payload hit.

My experience was positive towing a 4,000+ pound boat cross-country including through the Smoky Mountains.

rpres62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I know our diesel was more expensive but I LOVE it! The torque, the sound, and the fuel economy. It really is awesome!
I regret no getting a diesel

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Exactly, this also confirms the Pentastar is a pretty great motor as you do not read many problems being posted about it, if it had them you would see them here.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Where exactly are you going to get the electricity for these batters again? Where are you going to get batteries from? What are you going to do with these batteries after they are worn out?
1. The electricity will come from a combination of wind power, solar power, hydroelectric power and natural gas power; all much, much cleaner than coal and cleaner than millions upon millions of ICE engines running all over the planet

2. Batteries are manufactured domestically and all over the world. Don't believe the Internet memes about all the strip mining for lithium. That's bogus. Mining for batteries does have an impact. But so does drilling for oil, refining oil and transporting gasoline

3. Batteries can be recycled. Again, there is some impact, but it's not as much impact as burning petroleum and changing motor oil

Electric vehicle technology isn't perfect, but it is pretty good and it's getting better all the time.
Sponsored