Diesel Tent Heater + Portable Battery Packs

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
My wife and I are ready to set out on our winter camping trip to northern Colorado and Wyoming next month and decided to try this diesel powered heater to stay warm. I bought the Jackery 240 to power it, as well as a string of low watt LED Edison style lights for our campsite. It seems to pump out quite a bit of heat which is encouraging for the sub freezing weather we have ahead lol.

Has anyone here run a similar setup? If so, what were your thoughts?

Jeep Gladiator Diesel Tent Heater + Portable Battery Packs 38657668-0BD3-481E-A827-552F0265D829
Sponsored

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am considering using the propex heater in the the bed of the truck which will run heat to the tent. Similar concept but uses propane and will be hard wired.

Dunks001

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 790R
Occupation
Funemployed
Have the same heater am looking for a power solution. How long did the battery bank last?

OP
OP

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
I am considering using the propex heater in the the bed of the truck which will run heat to the tent. Similar concept but uses propane and will be hard wired.
I hadn’t heard of the propex heater but it looks like an even better option. We initially avoided the smaller propane powered radiant heaters due to condensation and concern for carbon monoxide but I didn’t know the propex existed. Looks like a great unit!

Have the same heater am looking for a power solution. How long did the battery bank last?
Most of the power draw is on start up and shut down and it drops down to ~10 watts on the lowest setting. I’ll report back after next week when we put it to the test.

I ran it for an hour in my backyard and the Jackery didn’t drop below 90% so I don’t see why it wouldn’t last the night and then some but we’ll see.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic

Couple of videos on diesel heaters.

Sponsored

Dunks001

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 790R
Occupation
Funemployed
Awesome. Looking forward to a real world test. Thx for posting two (new to me) videos. 👍🏼

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
My wife and I are ready to set out on our winter camping trip to northern Colorado and Wyoming next month and decided to try this diesel powered heater to stay warm. I bought the Jackery 240 to power it, as well as a string of low watt LED Edison style lights for our campsite. It seems to pump out quite a bit of heat which is encouraging for the sub freezing weather we have ahead lol.

Has anyone here run a similar setup? If so, what were your thoughts?

Jeep Gladiator Diesel Tent Heater + Portable Battery Packs 38657668-0BD3-481E-A827-552F0265D829
Just ordered a similar looking unit a couple of days ago. Hopefully it runs like it's supposed to. Will probably open it up and tighten everything inside. Also picked up a heavy duty hvac duct and heat wrap for the exhaust. Going to try winter camping in the mountains for the first time.
Sponsored