Sponsored

Difference between Sport S and Rubicon Suspension

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
If I swap the Rubicon suspension on, which I probably will, I'll try to inspect all the Parts to see if they're the same or not.

I suppose if we found part numbers for these we could compare.
Tell me the parts to check and I’ll crawl under and get the numbers if I can see them.. control arms, bump stops, what else?
Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Tell me the parts to check and I’ll crawl under and get the numbers if I can see them.. control arms, bump stops, what else?
I don't know, swat bar links.

I was just going to check part numbers off of Mopar parts online from sport to Rubicon and see if they match.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I think all the springs & control arms are the same length just different spring rates the shocks are different on Rubicon, if you read the specs Rubicon is 11” clearance & all others are 10” so the tires are bigger on Rubicon 33” vs 32” & front fenders on Rubicon are what 2” higher or 1 1/2” I’m not sure.
To gain an inch in ground clearance the tires OD would have to be 2" greater, gain is in radius or 1/2 of OD

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
To gain an inch in ground clearance the tires OD would have to be 2" greater, gain is in radius or 1/2 of OD
They think the Rubicon springs are 1" taller too.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Control arms and sway bar links should be the same between Rubicon and Sport also.
I think the Rubicon has longer front lower control arms to account for the caster change from the taller coils. If you look at what lift kit makers, for example Daystar, are selling for a Sport model you'll notice that once you get above 0.75" of front lift they start to include new control arms to bring the caster back to stock.

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
They think the Rubicon springs are 1" taller too.
They probably are uninstalled. Longer lower rate spring will allow better articulation with the sway bar disconnected.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of installing the springs unless I was going to also allow for greater articulation.
I don't have my Gladiator yet, but enough people do on this forum that we should be able to get measurements to a fixed hard point on the body for both models in factory trim, say for instance the bottom of a door hinge. That will tell you if different springing affects ride height, or simply allows for greater articulation.

All of that being said, I would assume the lowest point on the differential would dictate "ground clearance" at it's lowest point, because it they mounted anything body related lower than that, they rode the short bus to work. OR the tire on the Sport/S/Overland is a 29" tire (which is most likely the case)

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I get it,(although the important number is static loaded radius which is not shown) but here is reality.

If the lowest point considered for "ground clearance " is the bottom of the differential, you can put springs in all day long and not change that.

Now, like I said, if something mounted to the body is the lowest point then that obviously isn't true and springs would affect "minimum ground clearance", but if someone at FCA "engineered" a body fixture that is lower than the bottom of the differential on a Jeep, they need to be beaten.

Something isn't kosher with the advertised tire dimensions ETA or ground clearance one or the other.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something isn't kosher with the advertised tire dimensions ETA or ground clearance one or the other.
I see, well somebody has to figure it out.

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Hello,
New to the site but wanted to share this,
I just installed the stock suspension off of a 2020 gladiator rubicon to a gladiator sport S.
The springs are not longer but are much thicker. I believe this limited the amount of sag in the springs?? I did gain a good inch of lift.
The front lower control are are exactly the same size/length as the sport s.

Sponsored

JT_Ollie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LBB BMW M2, SG Jeep Gladiator
So the rubicon suspension does indeed sit higher than a stock overland? I thought it was the same height, just the different size tires made the difference.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello,
I just installed the stock suspension off of a 2020 gladiator rubicon to a gladiator sport S.
The springs are not longer but are much thicker. I believe this limited the amount of sag in the springs?? I did gain a good inch of lift.
what other parts might be sized differently, like the sway bar links, bump stops?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sway bar links and bump stops were the same size off the rubicon and they were from the sport s.
Thanks for this info. So springs, shocks are the only difference you can tell?

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Hello,
YOU DA MAN! WELCOME BRO! :like:

Thanks for this info. So springs, shocks are the only difference you can tell?
and YOU GOT EM!!! :clap:
DO IT!!! :rock:

So the rubicon suspension does indeed sit higher than a stock overland? I thought it was the same height, just the different size tires made the difference.
WRONG!
BWAAAAAAA..... :LOL:

I suppose I should disclaimer my behavior as I broke a molar, spent 2.5 hours in a dentist chair to sedate a exposed nerve and am enjoying my pain meds with a beer... :facepalm:
Sponsored