Differential cover

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT-Sport S, 2021 JT-Sport S
I had my axles regeared to 4.88. Well my rear differential has a very small leak when it warms up at the bottom of the differential cover. Now I see Jeep makes a gasket for the differential cover but what are people using? Oem gasket or a sealent like Permatex ultra black? I still have 300 miles until my break in is done but I would like to fix this and not worry about it.
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I'd deal with it until your break-in is done keeping an eye on level if it's more than seepage. Then pop the cover to do your 500mi service and give a visual and use Permatex Optimum Black and not worry about it again. OB has adhesive properties and is more flexible than Ultra Black but while those properties mean it's less likely to leak over time, it also means you'll need a big ass dead-blow hammer to get the cover off (or you can pry up a nodular cover).

I would highly recommend making an overnighter of it to let it set... just thoroughly clean surfaces with brake cleaner or alcohol, then add the gasket, torque to spec, and let it sit overnight to cure a bit before filling. If done like this I have never seen one leak and I've done it this way on some seriously abused axles on desert trucks and race cars.

OP
OP

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd deal with it until your break-in is done keeping an eye on level if it's more than seepage. Then pop the cover to do your 500mi service and give a visual and use Permatex Optimum Black and not worry about it again. OB has adhesive properties and is more flexible than Ultra Black but while those properties mean it's less likely to leak over time, it also means you'll need a big ass dead-blow hammer to get the cover off (or you can pry up a nodular cover).

I would highly recommend making an overnighter of it to let it set... just thoroughly clean surfaces with brake cleaner or alcohol, then add the gasket, torque to spec, and let it sit overnight to cure a bit before filling. If done like this I have never seen one leak and I've done it this way on some seriously abused axles on desert trucks and race cars.
Thanks for the information. I drove my Jeep to the store today to pickup some stuff. When I got back it looks like more is leaking out then I think, maybe. But the drip pattern is weird. Either it is leaking from a weld on the cover or it’s riding up.
Jeep Gladiator Differential cover DF801FD1-2CDE-473C-9DC7-2224737867B6

EF1CC035-0949-45B0-AA72-7D35BB2304F3.jpeg

3170C9F4-B2B0-46FD-B7CA-3CA6DDADC015.jpeg

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Leaking from one or both of the craters dead on top. The weld isn't tied into the bung.

Keep an eye on lube level, when you go for lube change inform the shop and show them where it's leaking.

OP
OP

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leaking from one or both of the craters dead on top. The weld isn't tied into the bung.

Keep an eye on lube level, when you go for lube change inform the shop and show them where it's leaking.
Yeah I’m going to park it on a hill so I can get the proper pinion angle to fill the axle and check the level tomorrow. I did fire an email off to OX locker showing them what is going on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The welds do look great everywhere on the axle cover except for the bung. Looks like it was done all with tig welding. I could take it to work and have it welded by one of the welders who does excellent tig welding. Will have to wait to see what OX says though.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

Yeah that looks like someone needs to give OP a new diff cover.

Deleted member 30519

I have a re-gear coming up on the 26th. I got the front and rear Yukon diff covers on Amazon for a pretty good price.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
The welds do look great everywhere on the axle cover except for the bung. Looks like it was done all with tig welding. I could take it to work and have it welded by one of the welders who does excellent tig welding. Will have to wait to see what OX says though.

That's all MIG welding, wire feed. Whoever did the bung was having a bad day, or is still learning. From an Inspector's view, there are too many issues with the bung weld.

OP
OP

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's all MIG welding, wire feed. Whoever did the bung was having a bad day, or is still learning. From an Inspector's view, there are too many issues with the bung weld.
MIG would explain the splatter that wasn’t cleaned up before powder coating.

Sponsored

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the information. I drove my Jeep to the store today to pickup some stuff. When I got back it looks like more is leaking out then I think, maybe. But the drip pattern is weird. Either it is leaking from a weld on the cover or it’s riding up.
Jeep Gladiator Differential cover 3170C9F4-B2B0-46FD-B7CA-3CA6DDADC015

Whoever welded that said some,"HmMmN mEh lUkcs gOud tOo mE "🤣🤣

OP
OP

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whoever welded that said some,"HmMmN mEh lUkcs gOud tOo mE "🤣🤣
Yeah no problem to be seen lol.

I have a re-gear coming up on the 26th. I got the front and rear Yukon diff covers on Amazon for a pretty good price.
Yukon covers wouldn’t work with the OX lockers.

Yeah that looks like someone needs to give OP a new diff cover.
I’ll have to wait to hear what they say tomorrow since they weren’t open today. They did email and text me though. So we’ll see what they will do for me.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
That looks easy to fix if you have access to a welder. Remove the cover, grind the bung weld at the top and make another pass. Should be sealed up after a good pass

OP
OP

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That looks easy to fix if you have access to a welder. Remove the cover, grind the bung weld at the top and make another pass. Should be sealed up after a good pass
Taking it down the road to get TIG welded today.

OP
OP

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it welded and the welder botched the cover. OX is getting me a replacement cover which is cool.
Sponsored