Differential Plug Quesion

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Is the "plug" the part that looks like it need a square tool to loosen up?

If so, what size?

Lastly, to check diff oil level just unscrew and make sure level comes to the fill hole?
Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Here let me Google that for you LOL

OP
OP

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Yes it was, lol. But thankful for the heads up. I looked here and a Facebook group with no luck.

Also, several members on one of the Facebook groups said that their differentials were low from the factory, who knows…

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Its Friday, I had to add some flare to it LOL

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
On mine, the front was around 1/2 inch below the plug, and the back at least 3/4 inch low. It took 3/4 of a quart combined to top them both to the fill plugs. Having said that, they both lasted about 14K miles so far, including some brutal towing, so perhaps there was "enough". At $60 per quart, they have an incentive to put in just enough to get by.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
On mine, the front was around 1/2 inch below the plug, and the back at least 3/4 inch low. It took 3/4 of a quart combined to top them both to the fill plugs. Having said that, they both lasted about 14K miles so far, including some brutal towing, so perhaps there was "enough". At $60 per quart, they have an incentive to put in just enough to get by.
If you are doing brutal towing, empty the rear, put in 75w140 as thats the recommended weight for heavy use. If you have a limited slip, make sure its something with the additive (or get the additive).

Sponsored

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Overall good video. Some tips:
1. Always make sure you can get the fill plug out without issue before draining the diff. This applies to any D&F procedure for me.
2. Wear gloves. Differential lube stinks and the sulfur aroma will linger.
3. I prefer to use a torque wrench. Not as important on nodular iron or ferrous metal bits but when placing a drain plug back into something magnesium/aluminum, it is very important to not go ape on it or you can crack the case. Example would be a transfer case.
4. I like to use appropriate thread sealer as well. Not Teflon tape.
5. I like to spray down with brake cleaner after to keep an eye out for leaks after.

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Keep in mind that starting in mid 2021 and up, they stopped putting in the drain plugs in the axles. It is just the diff cover fill/level plugs now.

On all three of my Gladiators, the diffs were all low on gear oil from the factory. Had to add anywhere from 1/3 to a 1/2 quart of fluid to bring to proper level.

Snazzwillys

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
Keep in mind that starting in mid 2021 and up, they stopped putting in the drain plugs in the axles. It is just the diff cover fill/level plugs now.

On all three of my Gladiators, the diffs were all low on gear oil from the factory. Had to add anywhere from 1/3 to a 1/2 quart of fluid to bring to proper level.
My Glad was built in June of 2021 and has drain plugs in both diffs, Gee! I wonder why they did away with them ? Just makes it more of a pain for us DIY guys.
Sponsored