First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Anton Yelchin. His death was a tragedy and totally avoidable. He got out of his Grand Cherokee to get his mail and the Jeep crushed him against a gate pillar. He likely died slowly of asphyxiation.

I'm happy to deal with this feature to avoid some deaths. YMMV.
I get that, and that you are empathetic to Anton’s tragedy.

However, I view this in a similar vein as the putting gas in the diesel tank.
People need to pay attention to what they are doing.
The entire NA driving population must now buck up $300 (?) more for each vehicle and be inconvenienced operationally because someone died - how many times?

Surely not just 1 actor?
Sponsored

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave Sting Grey. 2018 Audi S5
Anton Yelchin. His death was a tragedy and totally avoidable. He got out of his Grand Cherokee to get his mail and the Jeep crushed him against a gate pillar. He likely died slowly of asphyxiation.

I'm happy to deal with this feature to avoid some deaths. YMMV.
Wellllll that outlook means that pretty much everything would have to be overly safety engineered (idiot proofed) or banned. Do you know how many people die in unusual or freak accidents from every scenario imaginable with a motor vehicle? Especially one designed for off road and top removal etc

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The entire NA driving population must now buck up $300 (?) more for each vehicle and be inconvenienced operationally because someone died - how many times? Surely not just 1 actor?
I would think that Jeep did some math somewhere that the value of this safety feature was greater than the production cost. Unless it was court-mandated? Would be interesting to know.

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Wellllll that outlook means that pretty much everything would have to be overly safety engineered (idiot proofed) or banned.
I haven't read the police report in a few years but my understanding was the vehicle was in gear, it wasn't gravity that killed him. I'm at peace with the idea of a vehicle needing to be in park for the driver to leave the vehicle - and I'm also at peace with the idea that it can be defeated by a Tazer. :like:

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I haven't read the police report in a few years but my understanding was the vehicle was in gear, it wasn't gravity that killed him. I'm at peace with the idea of a vehicle needing to be in park for the driver to leave the vehicle - and I'm also at peace with the idea that it can be defeated by a Tazer. :like:
I agree, however I object to paying for it. If Chrysler wast to adopt altruistic ideals into vehicles then let the shareholders pay.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I'm sure that many long time Jeepers already know this, but I was attempting to back my Rubicon in the driveway, and I could not get it into Reverse. P, N, and D all worked fine, but when I attempted to put it in R, the indicator light flashed, and the transmission would not engage. Tried several times and nothing. I didn't have a lot of room to the garage wall, but I could get into D and the truck would creep forward, but no reverse.

As I was merely attempting to back further away from the garage wall I hadn't closed the driver's door all the way, and I hadn't put on my seatbelt. I did both of these and voila...Snazzleberry went into Reverse with no issue.

Is this something new, or has the new 8 Spd auto always done this? Whatever the case, I was a but surprised that I could drive ahead with the door unlatched, but not back.
Further reading...
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/disable-auto-park.38820/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/auto-park.33387/

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Can't be defeated by the tazer.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
My old Ram did this too I opened the door with my seatbelt off while parking (no idea why), then the truck abruptly stopped.

Sponsored

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's 17 Outback- a car that promises superior safety- does not have this feature...and this is what happened.
One day my wife went to pick up her mom, and got in the car and put it in reverse as her mom was still getting in. A bug of some sort flew into the car and my wife jumped out in fear, causing the car to go in reverse with the passenger door stil open and her mom in the doorway.
The car door pushed her over, and the front wheel ran over her leg. The car then drove down the driveway, across a busy street, and stopped itself just before falling into a ditch, because THAT safety feature (backup sensor) worked fine.
Mom was hurt bad, but recovered...eventually.
I'm OK with this feature....

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is not related to OP's particular observation, but I was reluctant to start a whole new thread since many JT owners probably already know this.

I usually carry my key fob in a belt holster, so I know it is always with me. Saturday last I was doing fixit work so did not have the nice holster on my belt, just put the other fob in my pocket.

For some reason I removed it from pocket while going to Home Depot (probably to get something else out), and forgot about it when I got out of the truck, left it laying on the passenger seat. Hit lock button on door as is my usual practice, stepped out and shut door.. This would normally be a big OOPS with previous vehicles.

But the JT was smarter than me, and as I began to walk away gave me three short beeps of the horn. This caused me to realize my mistake; turned around, and voila! the door is unlocked so I can retrieve my fob.

Thanks, FCA. A great "safety" feature discovered by accident!
While its nice. My wife's 14 year old Volvo does exactly this. Ha.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I get that, and that you are empathetic to Anton’s tragedy.

However, I view this in a similar vein as the putting gas in the diesel tank.
People need to pay attention to what they are doing.
The entire NA driving population must now buck up $300 (?) more for each vehicle and be inconvenienced operationally because someone died - how many times?

Surely not just 1 actor?
From my understanding, the Cherokee he had had a recall placed on it about a month or two prior to his death over the gear selector leading to many rollaway vehicles and dozens of injuries.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-problem-with-jeeps-recalled-gear-shifter-1782364420

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I thought I read in the manual that when driving in 4Lo the auto-park is disabled.
This is true. Any time I put it in 4L it warns me that the auto-park feature is disabled. So for the OP, you could also put it in 4L to maneuver around and still have the door open and seat belt off. Just remember to put it back in 2H before heading to the grocery.
Sponsored