First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Now I understand. You're a collector who has a Gen1 Raptor 5.4L as well as an F40 - please tell us all about the Ford F40 and post a pic of that car!

You apparently can learn something about where the engineers tested the Raptor
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...route-in-anza-borrego-desert-state-park.7499/

If your Raptor was signed by Henry Ford who held the pen in the corpse's hand and moved it?
FYI: The last Henry Ford (the 2nd) died in 1987
I have had each Raptor including current year, 2020 orders have just opened up a while ago but i`m waiting for the V8.

You don`t know what an F-40 looks like? Why would i waste time explaining an F-40 to you?

Advertising and PR was done at Borrengo, from 2006-2009 testing was done far from the population at secret areas and the test mules looked nothing like the final product. The testing outside of Reno was on the Navy Seals base, no testing during R&D was done in front of the public.

Henry Ford 3 is alive and well. You need to get away from these forums it`s clear you spend too much time on them.
Sponsored

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
YO! Dude, I didn’t read all the replies, I don’t diss other vehicles nor am I partial to a specific manufacturer, Trucks are cool, cars are cool, there a bad ass rides out there. The raptor is sick! It’s only limitation is the doors and the top don’t come off! No biggie still a bad ass truck obviously! You can’t hate on a Ford Raptor, I do however like supercharged 6.2 liter motors.:devil:
Each year of Raptor is unique and special the 6.2 just happens to be my motor of choice. A supercharged 6.2 with a Stainless Works exhaust is bliss.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
ARRRRRRGGGGG! I’m back to looking at Raptors again. The dealer has a 2019, stickered at just under $70K, that they’re offering fr $63500. I also found a gently used 2018 (15Kmiles) for $60000.

I have to admit, these things hold their value quite well.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I guess I'm the odd man out. I've never seen the appeal of the Raptor. Been a Ford guy my entire life, though I went heavily Chrysler from 2004-on. I just never have liked the Raptor.

It's proportions are all off. It looks "squatty" as my wife would say. Too low and too wide. The grille looks like Fisher Price designed it. The optional graphics are 1985 all over again. The newer model looks better than the original, but it's still all wrong.

Functionally there isn't much point either. It's shorter than a standard F-150, has less payload and towing, and drinks fuel at a faster rate. It's only claim to fame is that you can blast through the desert at high speed with it, but 92% of Americans don't live in the desert. If rock crawling is your thing, the Power Wagon is better. If wooded trail systems are your thing, it's too wide to navigate safely, and the Jeep is better.

I love all things trucks, but the Raptor falls into that "pointless" category for me. I wouldn't buy one if they were $35k new, and especially not with the only engine option being the EcoBust.

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I get that man. It’s not for everyone. For me it’s the extra space, high performance, and off road prowess that are attractive. But mostly, it’s the room. I want to take our son and dogs out camping with us and the Gladiator is pushing the limits there.

On the flipside, that same space is a drawback on many trails and even putting it into our garage.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I'm the odd man out. I've never seen the appeal of the Raptor. Been a Ford guy my entire life, though I went heavily Chrysler from 2004-on. I just never have liked the Raptor.

It's proportions are all off. It looks "squatty" as my wife would say. Too low and too wide. The grille looks like Fisher Price designed it. The optional graphics are 1985 all over again. The newer model looks better than the original, but it's still all wrong.

Functionally there isn't much point either. It's shorter than a standard F-150, has less payload and towing, and drinks fuel at a faster rate. It's only claim to fame is that you can blast through the desert at high speed with it, but 92% of Americans don't live in the desert. If rock crawling is your thing, the Power Wagon is better. If wooded trail systems are your thing, it's too wide to navigate safely.

I love all things trucks, but the Raptor falls into that "pointless" category for me. I wouldn't buy one if they were $35k new, and especially not with the only engine option being the EcoBust.

Not to worry, Ford has been selling the hell outta them without you as an owner :LOL:

Just drove 4 hours to SoCal on Saturday and back yesterday in my Raptor and it was one of the best road trips ever. The most comfortable, smoothest riding, safest (with power to spare) drives I've made. But I say that every time we take a road trip in it.

It's an amazing truck on and off road and I've done both many times (this is my 2nd Raptor). You don't know what you're missing

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

Functionally there isn't much point either. It's shorter than a standard F-150, has less payload and towing, and drinks fuel at a faster rate. It's only claim to fame is that you can blast through the desert at high speed with it, but 92% of Americans don't live in the desert. If rock crawling is your thing, the Power Wagon is better. If wooded trail systems are your thing, it's too wide to navigate safely, and the Jeep is better.

The only thing I agree with you on it the stickers as I'm not a fan of stickers on any vehicle.

You say it shorter than a standard F150? No, it's not. Its the same size as and crew or extended cab F150. The Power Wagon may have solid axels, but its also longer and heavier and more difficult to live with day to day (ie harder to park, less likely to fit in a parking garage, probably won't fit in a regular garage, worst gas mileage, etc)

To me, the Raptor is the most well rounded off-road truck you can buy. It has plenty of space, super comfortable, lots of power, amazing suspension from the factory and if you need more payload for Overlanding or carrying gear a simple Deaver upgrade to rear can be done for $1,500. The off-road modes on it are for way more than just high-speed stuff too. Yes, I won't be doing the Rubicon in it, but honestly neither will most people with power wagons are gladiators.

The only downside is the width and that's if you frequent tight trails. Most of the places I go (95%) that won't be an issue.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
ARRRRRRGGGGG! I’m back to looking at Raptors again. The dealer has a 2019, stickered at just under $70K, that they’re offering fr $63500. I also found a gently used 2018 (15Kmiles) for $60000.

I have to admit, these things hold their value quite well.
I don't regret getting mine. Just hit 1,000 miles and love it. It was a HUGE upgrade from my JKU in pretty much every way.

Mine was stickered at $70K and I got it for $62,500 so pretty close to your deal. Like you said the resale on these is pretty good so at those discounts you can almost buy one and drive it a year and sell it for the same price.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I didn’t realize how truly monstrous the Raptor is until I parked my Porsche Cayenne and then Gladiator with 2” lift near it. There is no comparison. The general counsel at work has one and his parking space is right in front of mine. I typically give him 2’ of my space as he backs in and a margin of error is prudent!

He is incredibly loyal to the brand. He is married, but an empty nester and they have been looking for a house in Atlanta. They found the perfect place, but the Raptor wouldn’t fit in the garage so they passed!

While it is too big for me and I much prefer the JT styling, I get why others love the Raptor. To each his own and trying to convince someone one way or the other is pointless.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
lol yea its the width more than the length. I can still fit my Crew cab Raptor in our 2 car garage with my wifes 3 Series. If she had a big SUV though it might be an issue.

Sponsored

AC_1960

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I seriously debated the Raptor vs Gladiator question before ordering my JT Rubicon. Came down to 2 things: cost would've been $10K higher for the Raptor trim level I wanted, and I thought the width was just too much for some of the mountain trails I like. Pinstriping is to be expected, but didn't want to get blocked by trees/boulders and have to back out of a trail. Coming from a '14 JKUR, it made sense to just stay with a Jeep. Both are good options IMO depending on what your preferences are.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
lol yea its the width more than the length. I can still fit my Crew cab Raptor in our 2 car garage with my wifes 3 Series. If she had a big SUV though it might be an issue.
My garage isn't huge but it's big enough for these 2...

IMG_0190.jpeg

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
You may need some lube...

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You may need some lube...
For what - you eyeballing my rear? I'm not that kind of guy :angry:

giphy.gif

Hopefully you meant my garage might need some lube :surprised:

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
Yes, your opening looks a little tight for everything you have stuffed in there.

Garage entrance that is.
Sponsored